Plus-Sized
Options

Adding straps to a dress?

I am not going wedding dress shopping for another month, because we are actually going to MN to go to two plus size shops they have there.  I am looking at the designers that they carry (one will be having a Stella York and Essence of Australia trunk show).  I know one thing I really REALLY want is some sort of straps.  I've had dresses taken in on top professionally before that were strapless that I just ended up pulling up and being insecure about the whole time.  I don't want to have to worry about it on my wedding day too!  My question is a lot of the dresses that I like don't have straps.  How easy is it to add straps and make it look okay?  Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but it doesn't look that easy?

Re: Adding straps to a dress?

• Options
    Are you going to Luxe for the Essence of Australia dresses.  Shayna, the owner, is awesome.  Their seamstress adds straps to a lot of dresses.  However, don't rule out strapless.  I totally fell in love with a strapless dress even though I am an H cup.  Those dresses have far more support than the typical strapless dress.
  • Options
    Spaghetti straps that matched were in a little baggie attached to my daughter's dress when we finally picked it up. Those could be added to most any gown. You would still want the dress to be tight, however, as spaghetti straps can only do so much.
  • Options
    @ddhb2007 yes I am going to Luxe!  I'm so excited about it:)
  • Options
    i am having straps on mine my mori lee dress is a one strap dress but i spent the extra 75 and ordered an extra strap for mine its a lace strap with some beeding detail on it to match the other one 
  • Options
    I am getting straps added on to my dress from David's Bridal. They are adding them for me in the alterations department.  It wasn't cheap the straps were almost $200 but they are all beaded and will be put on for "free"(included in the price of the straps).
  • Options
    My dress is a Mori Lee and I purchased it partly because it has straps. My girls need a regular bra. Strapless is not supportive enough. Many designers will add straps for an extra fee. Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    I am adding straps to my dress also.  My dress is super heavy and A-line so would have been hard to stay up without them.  It should be pretty easy to add to most dresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 
      Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards