Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

How to choose a photographer?

I want to hire a photographer for our wedding, but I have no idea how to start to looking!

Do you have to look in your local area? Can one look at photographers who are not local or will there be extra fees for that?

Once you know an area to look, what's the best way to search? Just google "wedding photographer near [insert area]?

Once you find a photographer's website, what do you look for to get a sense if they will be right for you not? I know you should meet with a photographer before signing them up for your wedding, but I don't want to meet with every photographer I look up. How do you narrow it down?

Any advice for finding and choosing a wedding photographer would be appreciated.

Re: How to choose a photographer?

• Options
    You do not need to book someone local, but they will probably charge you for travel and accomodations (if needed).

I found my photographer by googling for "wedding pictures [venue name]".  This brought up blog posts from a bunch of local photographers of weddings done at the venue I'm using.  If I liked the blog post, I'd check out the photographer's portfolio.  In the end, I only reached out to 2 for pricing.  The one whose work we liked best was just a hair over budget, so we met with her. 

I definitely wouldn't book someone without meeting them or at least having a phone conversation.  This person will be like your shadow on your wedding day -- you need to feel comfortable around them.  I would also have a budget in mind before you get too far in your photography search.  I'd also look at a variety of photographers to figure out what kind of "style" appeals to you. 
  • Options
    My sister found her wedding photographer through a friend. I think you ask some of your friends first. Before we book the photographer, I read review of all the local wedding photographer. Then we looking at all the local photographer's website and blog. We decided to go with the wedding photographer that show the most interesting in helping us.

Pricing was also a part of my sister wedding budget. We ended up asking the photographer for their price sheet and wedding package.

I hope this help.
  • Options

I was lucky to have an active local board here on TK and I ended up choosing my photographer off of a rec from that board.  I did meet with several though before I decided.  In the end, not only did I like her work, but I just clicked with her at the meeting and I knew she was the one. 

I also like the idea of Googling weddings at your venue.  It's nice to have someone familiar with your venue (although mine had never shot at my venue and it worked out fine),

• Options
    Does your city have a wedding magazine or wedding guide?  There are a few publications in Louisville that come out twice a year.  If there's a local magazine, or even a newspaper/magazine with a society section, flip through and make note of the photos you like.  Then call/search online for those photographers and ask for prices.

I went to bridal shows, but I didn't find the photographer I wanted at any of them.  I went with someone I knew but who doesn't advertise because she wants to be an exclusive, boutique photography experience.  The photographers at the shows were more cheesy pics.  I want more quiet, artistic photos that aren't so staged.  I think that word of mouth and seeing work is the best way to find someone.
  • Options
    I think the best is to book photographer through referral .
    You can google them as well .Check  which style you like and then call them, meet them.
    One week ago I booked my wedding photographer and he is amazing!! I am so lucky that he was available. His work is stunning ! My girlfriend referred him to me. Check him out The Big Affair.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards