Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Do you have to do an engagement photo session?

The local boutique where I purchased my gown offered a free engagement session with a local photographer. I called the photographer and explained how excited we were for the free session as we originally weren't going to do one with our chosen photographer. She told me that even though she couldn't tell me she couldn't do our photos because we already have a chosen photographer for the day of that she suggests we do with him and not her so we can get a feel for each other. Well I was irked because part of the package of purchasing my gown was a free session and because we already decided it wasn't in our budget to do an engagement session with the photographer for the day of. Now I am wondering how important that really is. Do we really need an engagement photo shoot? Do we really need to get to know our photographer's style before the day of? Have any of you opted out of the engagement photo session and were you still happy with your wedding photos?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do you have to do an engagement photo session?

• Options
    If you already purchase the wedding gown with the engagement session included. You should take advantage of the promotion that was included in the package. Truthfully, there is no point of the photographer telling you that you should get to know your wedding photographer. Since the engagement session was already included. I know plenty of people that decided to to have two different photographer for their engagement and wedding picture. There nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2013
    We're not doing engagement photos, definitely out of our budget. That being said, I know our photographer personally and see numerous of her photos online. She works for a bigger company, but she's who I requested. I feel comfortable choosing her because I've already seen numerous of her samples and still continue to see them (We're facebook friends as well)

ETA: Since it was included in your gown, I would def do it with the person it is through. I don't see how she can say she can't do it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    If that engagement session was part of the package when you bought your dress, you should definitely call the bridal salon and/or photographer to make sure you get your money's worth.

That said, I do think it's valuable (though certainly not essential) to have an engagement session with your photographer so you can get an idea of how she or he works. It was also helpful for me because I hate having my picture taken and it made me so much more comfortable. On our wedding day, I was ready to go instead of needing to get warmed up. That allowed us to spend less time taking pictures.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. It sounds like the photographer doesn't want to do it because its probably more of a way for her to book weddings and since yours is booked she is trying to shove you off. If it was part of your package I would do it (if you WANT to) or see if the salon can compensate you another way (maybe free bridal jewelry or something)

But they definitely are necessary. We didn't get them because we have a few shots from our actual engagement that mean so much to us. We did have my FI's sister take one close up outside with her high tech camera for the announcement in the paper, thought.  But you don't need them if you don't want them.
  • Options
    Angelita - Vendors are not allowed.  @KnotPorscha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards