Registry and Gift Forum

Honeymoon Registry

Hello. I know that the Honeymoon Registries are the new thing. I like it especially because my fiance and I already live together and we already have everything that you would put on a Registry. Besides, I don't have the room in my tiny apartment to store the gifts. My question is, do you think it is tacky to ask for someone to put toward the Honeymoon on a Honeymood Registry?

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon Registry

• To answer your question:

File:Ofc of course i do yes.gif

Honeymoon registries are equivalent to you asking your guests for money. It's rude. Register for upgrades on household items and keep the list small. Your family or MOH can always spread the word that you and FI are "saving for a trip" or something. 
  • Not tacky, but rude, and stupid. Here is why:

1. Deceitful. Guests think they are buying you a whale watching tour, but you just get a check.
    2. Stupid/Scam. You get a check, but it isn't the full amount your guests gave because of service fees, so you cheated yourself out of 5% of your gift (or whatever the fee is).
    3. Rude. Some HRs give your guests the option of writing the check themselves to avoid the fee. Well then you just told your guests to write you a check, which is rude.

HR direct your guests to a list of things money can buy, but aren't for sale, and then tell your guests to write a check. It is rude to ask for money, and rude to waste people's time. Everyone knows money can be used to buy things, and that money makes a good gift. Your guests can figure it out without you asking for it. Just skip the traditional registry, or create a small one of upgrades. When people ask a bout a registry, you say, "We registered at Macy's and are saving up for a special vacation." People will take the hint.

1. Deceitful. Guests think they are buying you a whale watching tour, but you just get a check.
    2. Stupid/Scam. You get a check, but it isn't the full amount your guests gave because of service fees, so you cheated yourself out of 5% of your gift (or whatever the fee is).
    3. Rude. Some HRs give your guests the option of writing the check themselves to avoid the fee. Well then you just told your guests to write you a check, which is rude.

I thought this was important enough to repeat.

HR direct your guests to a list of things money can buy, but aren't for sale, and then tell your guests to write a check. It is rude to ask for money, and rude to waste people's time. Everyone knows money can be used to buy things, and that money makes a good gift. Your guests can figure it out without you asking for it. Just skip the traditional registry, or create a small one of upgrades. When people ask a bout a registry, you say, "We registered at Macy's and are saving up for a special vacation." People will take the hint.

This over and over again. Honeymoon registries are beyond tacky.
  • Guess I'm going to be tacky and rude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2013
    Guess I'm going to be tacky and rude.

Why did you even ask if it was tacky, if it was already your plan to do this?

More importantly...why don't you CARE that you're being tacky and rude to your guests?

ETA: OP, please take your full name out of your profile signature. It was really easy to find your wedding website, in which you have posted all of your personal information...including your birthday. Internet safety is important.

And why are you okay with that?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ashley82488 - I have to second why even ask if you are just going to do it anyways.  That would be me like me asking "Hey should I shot my coworker?" And then all of you saying "No that is bad and you will be arrested."  And then me being like "Well I guess I will be bad and get arrested."  Why even ask the question in the first place?

• Hello. I know that the Honeymoon Registries are the new thing. I like it especially because my fiance and I already live together and we already have everything that you would put on a Registry. Besides, I don't have the room in my tiny apartment to store the gifts. My question is, do you think it is tacky to ask for someone to put toward the Honeymoon on a Honeymood Registry?

Thanks!

WOW! JUST WOW! Ok then why ask? What else is rude? Wasting our time! That's rude too!
  • edited September 2013

Aaaaaand this is why I stopped posting for a long time. I'm so tired of wasting my time trying to help people who asked for help only to find out that what they actually wanted was validation for their shitty ideas. Enjoy offending your loved ones and getting 95% of your wedding presents.

EDIT: And for the record, it was "rude and stupid" not "tacky and rude".
  • Oh my freaking God. Read some threads before you post. Holy crap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • See that thread literally one post above yours? Why could you not even bother to read it prior to posting this and wasting people's time?!
    Also why don't you just not register at all?! You will get money without outright asking for it, not fill your precious space with thoughtful gifts and not offend your guests? Posts like this piss me off

• itzMS said:

Why did you even ask if it was tacky, if it was already your plan to do this?

More importantly...why don't you CARE that you're being tacky and rude to your guests?

ETA: OP, please take your full name out of your profile signature. It was really easy to find your wedding website, in which you have posted all of your personal information...including your birthday. Internet safety is important.

It wont let meeeeeeeeeee!!! I've asked Knot Portia for help but it wont work. :(((((
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lwoehlk said:
    See that thread literally one post above yours? Why could you not even bother to read it prior to posting this and wasting people's time?! Also why don't you just not register at all?! You will get money without outright asking for it, not fill your precious space with thoughtful gifts and not offend your guests? Posts like this piss me off
    To mess with people like you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Aaaaaand this is why I stopped posting for a long time. I'm so tired of wasting my time trying to help people who asked for help only to find out that what they actually wanted was validation for their shitty ideas. Enjoy offending your loved ones and getting 95% of your wedding presents.

EDIT: And for the record, it was "rude and stupid" not "tacky and rude".
    Sorry...are you talking to yourself....?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh my freaking God. Read some threads before you post. Holy crap.

Sorry. Don't know how to do that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ashley is the winner of the Clever Troll of the Day Award!!!!!
  • @knotporscha - Have you helped her with her profile?
  • It wont let meeeeeeeeeee!!! I've asked Knot Portia for help but it wont work. :(((((

Maybe if you spelled her name right, she would.
  • It wont let meeeeeeeeeee!!! I've asked Knot Portia for help but it wont work. :(((((

Wow... Bitch much?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have to know too-If you KNOW it is rude and tacky why would you ask for validation?  That is just stupid.  Did you actually think people would say "OMG what a FAB idea!" 

If I was invited to a wedding and the couple had a honeymoon registry, I would definately get the couple a empty card.

It is very class-less to beg people for money, even less classy to have people pay for your vacation. 

Wow... Bitch much?
    @KnotPorscha - TOS?  I didn't read that as "Rebecca's complaining", I read that as "Rebecca's a ____".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards