Wedding Etiquette Forum

Day of Cash Tips, How Much Should We Have On Hand?

We're holding our ceremony and reception in a hotel venue that includes 28% Tax(8%) and Gratuity(20%). We're paying for the majority of our day. I'm interested to know what you'd suggest we have on hand, and did you tip other vendors (DJ, Photographer, Bakery,etc.)  beyond they're negotiated fee?

Re: Day of Cash Tips, How Much Should We Have On Hand?

• I would say bring enough cash for a 20% tip / gratuity for each vendor since that's what the standard is in the wedding industry. My family usually does a 25% tip for each vendor that has to be there for a long time such as DJ, photographer, etc. and a 20% tip for the bakery and etc.  You will have to do the math for how much cash that adds up to since I do not know how much you're paying for each vendor. Also just a tip if you didn't think about it already is to put the tips in separate envelopes with the name of the vendor on the outside of the envelope and then hand them their envelope at the end of the night.
  • We tipped all of our vendors, regardless of whether they owned their business or not. Each photog and the florist got $100, photobooth attendant, DOC and baker got $50. Officiant got a bottle of wine. They're all getting good reviews.

Our venue staff's tips were included in the 20% service fee, but we brought along $200 in 10s anyway, just in case. We ended up not distributing them because the service was rather slow and disappointing. The bartender was telling people they had to go downstairs for signature drinks, which was ridiculous and not part of what we had discussed. Oh well.
  • I had checks prepared for the DJ and photographer and the some cash on hand in case.  I gave $10 to tip the flower delivery guy.
  • We're holding our ceremony and reception in a hotel venue that includes 28% Tax(8%) and Gratuity(20%). We're paying for the majority of our day. I'm interested to know what you'd suggest we have on hand, and did you tip other vendors (DJ, Photographer, Bakery,etc.)  beyond they're negotiated fee?

We did not tip any other vendors. We arranged tips for the Limo and bus drivers ahead of time with their bosses, so as not to carry large amounts of cash.

It's perfectly fine to send a thank you card and check in the week after the wedding if you're not sure how much cash to bring, or are concerned with keeping track of the cash.

• Would you advise tipping individual employees at the venue that already includes a 20% gratuity fee in the price?
  • hlvonb said:
    I would say bring enough cash for a 20% tip / gratuity for each vendor since that's what the standard is in the wedding industry. My family usually does a 25% tip for each vendor that has to be there for a long time such as DJ, photographer, etc. and a 20% tip for the bakery and etc.  You will have to do the math for how much cash that adds up to since I do not know how much you're paying for each vendor. Also just a tip if you didn't think about it already is to put the tips in separate envelopes with the name of the vendor on the outside of the envelope and then hand them their envelope at the end of the night.
    I'm not sure this is standard for all vendors.  If my photography package is $5k am I supposed to tip my photographer $1k???

As for the service staff, my venue specifically says NOT to tip; they already charge a 23% service charge and they compensate their employees separately.  OP, you may just want to check with the venue that the 20% gratuity fee will be distributed to the employees.  If so, I don't think you need to tip extra unless you think any specific employee went above and beyond.
  • @CrazyCatLady3 Sorry that was supposed to say what the standard is (with a few exceptions).
  • I've heard from various websites not to tip photographers since you cannot see the quality of their work till at least a month after the wedding.  You tip for a good performance, not just because its your wedding day.  When you receive your pictures, you can then send a nice card but most photographers own their own companies and charge enough that tips are not necessary, they make good money!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards