Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cupcakes!

I love baking! It is my stress reliever. And I am a damn good baker. Once I got engaged, the people that know me instantly warned me not to make my own cake. Well, we have decided to go with cupcakes. Would you tackle making cupcakes for your wedding by yourself (or with your ladies)? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cupcakes!

• Nope.  I wanted the days leading up to my wedding as stress-free as possible.  We would much rather pay someone and have one less thing to worry about.
  • No.  I can bake too and so can a lot of my family members but that just isn't a good idea.
  • Hell no. I could make awesome cupcakes, but I'll have way more important things to do in the day or two before the wedding than spending it in my kitchen covered in flour.  Those things really need to be made no earlier than the day before to look and taste their best. You'll be too busy then, and you'll have friends and family around who you will want to spend time with. Let a good bakery handle them. Plus, most venues prohibit food being brought in that isn't made in a licensed professional kitchen.
  • Definitely not. 1) our venue only allowed food to be brought in from licensed caterers, bakeries, etc. and 2) though I make a mean cupcake, there is no way I wanted to spend the entire day before my wedding in the kitchen baking. I wanted to be at my rehearsal and RD, visiting with my OOT guests, etc.
  • Hell no.  I too bake, and I too am a damn good baker.  But there is not a force on the planet that could make me take on the stress and time-sink of baking for even a small crowd of people the day before my wedding.  No way.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @scribe95 I am inviting 200 but I don't think that many will show.
    Baking is the way I relieve stress which is in part why it felt like a good idea. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love to bake, but would never in a million years tackle making cupcakes for my own wedding.  The week leading up to the wedding I was busy with work, finalizing wedding things and greeting OOT guests.  I have no idea when I would have fit in making 150+ cupcakes into that schedule.

If you really want to bake something for your wedding then why not make a nice cake for your RD? That way you will still be able to bake and relieve stress but not be overwhelmed and crazy with having to bake and decorate 150+ cupcakes 2 days before your wedding.

• I made my own wedding cake, three tiers to serve 100 people. Some people suggested cupcakes instead, but I actually find them more labor-intensive because you have to frost every single one. 

The key to baking for your wedding is proper planning and freezing. I made my cake tiers a few weeks before the wedding, wrapped them well, and froze them. The day before the wedding, I put the final coat of frosting on and stacked them. I didn't have to do anything on the day of the wedding (we stored the cake at the reception site). You can actually bake and frost cupcakes in advance and freeze them, or just freeze the cake part and frost the day before your wedding.

I highly recommend the book Wedding Cakes You Can Make by Deirdre Wilson. It includes a recipe for cupcakes, and has tons of info about how to make your wedding cake. If you're an experienced baker, a wedding cake really isn't that much work. It meant a lot to me to bake my own cake, and everybody loved it. Even our photographer, who doesn't normally eat cake at a wedding she shoots, had a piece!
  • I used to own a bakery and I've made tons of wedding cakes and cupcakes. I hired someone else to make my wedding cake. Not because I couldn't do it because it is definitely doable, but because I didn't want to. You can definitely do it, but you have to know that you will spend the few days leading up to your wedding making cupcakes. Think about all the other stuff that you have to do those days before you decide if you can dedicate that much time to it. 
  • I might do somethings DIY, but I don't think that would include cooking or baking.  I think I'd let a professional handle those because of the time it takes to cook, bake, and serve food in the amounts needed and because while I enjoy cooking and baking, I'm probably not skilled enough to cater a really large meal-especially a special one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards