Chit Chat
Options

What gifts to get my three brothers?

My fiance is an only child and I have three older brothers.  I would like to get them a gift from the two of us but can't really find anything online.  We are getting the bridal party custom chucks with the wedding date but don't want to get my brothers the same thing because they aren't part of the bridal party.  Any ideas?  I was thinking getting custom cuff links which I found on etsy, but I would want to get them something else they could use more than once to remember the special day.  

Re: What gifts to get my three brothers?

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2013
    caitmason said:
    My fiance is an only child and I have three older brothers.  I would like to get them a gift from the two of us but can't really find anything online.  We are getting the bridal party custom chucks with the wedding date but don't want to get my brothers the same thing because they aren't part of the bridal party.  Any ideas?  I was thinking getting custom cuff links which I found on etsy, but I would want to get them something else they could use more than once to remember the special day.  

No one wants shoes with your wedding date on them. I promise. This is a huge waste of money unless you are letting each bridal party member design his/her own shoes.

Now that I've said that...why would you get your brothers presents for your wedding? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but your brothers don't want to remember your "special day".

Pose for a nice picture with each brother on your wedding day and send him a 4x6 framed after the wedding.

ETA: If your FI's name starts with an N, you'll want to change your screen name. Contact KnotPorscha on the Knottie help board. This is an international forum...and Internet safety is key...you don't want unsavory people finding out information about you and your wedding.

• Options
    Half of my bridal party has actually asked if I would be doing the custom chucks because they do actually want them.  But the question was what to get my brothers for my wedding.  I am close to all three of them, I am their little sister, they will want to remember it as siblings would because they are happy for me.  
    The photos are a nice idea for after the wedding.  I am still looking for suggestions of something small for them to have though that could be used again with a nice memory.  
  • Options
    caitmason said:
    Half of my bridal party has actually asked if I would be doing the custom chucks because they do actually want them.  But the question was what to get my brothers for my wedding.  I am close to all three of them, I am their little sister, they will want to remember it as siblings would because they are happy for me.  
    The photos are a nice idea for after the wedding.  I am still looking for suggestions of something small for them to have though that could be used again with a nice memory.  
    What about the other half of your bridal party?
  • Options
    I don't need to justify my gifts that I am giving my friends to you.  We should not be criticizing other peoples ideas for their one special day on here, we should be helping, encouraging and remain considerate. 
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    caitmason said:
    I don't need to justify my gifts that I am giving my friends to you.  We should not be criticizing other peoples ideas for their one special day on here, we should be helping, encouraging and remain considerate. 
    You came here to ask for advice and that's what you're going to get.  Like it or not people are going to be honest with you.  If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

And lurk around a little more.  Customized anything (robes, bras, sneakers, etc) related to your wedding is not a gift for those in your bridal party.

ETA: spelling
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    caitmason said:
    You came here to ask for advice and that's what you're going to get.  Like it or not people are going to be honest with you.  If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

And lurk around a little more.  Customized anything (robes, bras, sneakers, etc) related to your wedding is not a gift for those in your bridal party.

Agreed. I'm not obligated to support an idea that isn't well thought out.

I gave you a great suggestion of a present your brothers might actually LIKE, and you poo-pooed it because it's not something for them on YOUR SPECIAL DAY. They don't want cuff links with your wedding date on them. I promise. Unless you're 100% positive they wear dress shirts requiring cuff links frequently.

Custom Chuck Taylors are fricken expensive ($70 minimum, right?!) for a gift most adults won't wear again after your wedding. Like I said, if you are letting each person design his/her own shoes versus making everyone wear matching wedding shoes, this could be okay. If someone doesn't want to wear them, would you be okay with that, too? Chuck Taylors are not at all my style (nor my DH, nor most adults I know), so I would bet at least a few of your WP aren't CT fans. It's pretty inappropriate to wear sneakers with a formal dress.

• Options
    I, for one, am an adult that loves Chucks. . . . . I have multiple pairs and wear them frequently.  With that being said, I would not wear them with a formal or semi-formal dress for a wedding, nor would I ever want a pair with someone else's wedding date on them.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If your brothers aren't in the WP, you don't need to get them a gift. If you and your fiance want to spend money to buy presents for your brothers, I would shop like it's their birthday. If they like sports, get them memorabilia from their favorite team. Or if they like a band, get them concert tickets or the band's new album. If they're into golf, buy them a round at their favorite club. 

If you're dead set on getting them all the same thing and you want it to be something like cuff links, a flask or something else that's typical, I would encourage you to get it with THEIR initials. Nobody wants something with your wedding date and/or YOUR initials on it. It doesn't make sense. It's very special to you (for obvious reasons), but your wedding day isn't as special to anyone else (for obvious reasons). 

If half your wedding party wants custom chucks, buy them custom chucks (with THEIR initials or something relevant to THEM). For the other members of the wedding party who have not expressed wanting custom chucks, shop for them like it's their birthday (as described above). No one ever complained about tickets to see their favorite band in concert, but people DEFINITELY complain about things with others' monogram/wedding date that they're not realistically going to use again. KWIM?

*********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards