Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Southern Wedding Traditions/Interactive Customs?

2»

Re: Southern Wedding Traditions/Interactive Customs?

• Options
    Please do not insult Southerners by saying the money dance is traditionally Southern. It is not. And it's rude regardless of where you do it.
    Exactly. I had never heard of the dollar dance before TK.
    I'm with you fellow Southerners about never hearing about a dollar dance prior to the Knot.

Bless your hearts if you think it is a Southern tradition.
  • Options
    It's actually originally an eastern European tradition, mainly Poland and Germany...from like, 100+ years ago. I'm Southern, but I'm also Polish, and my Polish family would have a group conniption if anyone even brought up the subject of a dollar dance. The gasps, frantic phone calls, and horrified expressions when my cousin announced her Honeyfund were enough to set the rest of us straight on that. (No one bought her anything for her wedding, because that's all she had.)
  • Options
    Ah, maybe it's this one because we gave you a lot of ideas but explained why dollar dances are rude, followed by you calling us "nasty nay-sayers". That's kind of a kick in the face for the time we took to give you the advice.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    I'm a born and raised Nashvillian, and I live in East Nashville, and I've never been to a wedding with a successful dollar dance, but I HAVE been to weddings where the money begging led to all of the guests leaving immediately.
    @thejucheidea -  Do tell.

Anniversary

• Options
    @Dreamergirl8812 : I was in a wedding where the best man on the orders of the bride came around with a pair of the groom's pants begging for money from all of the guests. I saw looks of disgust and within fifteen minutes, the only people left were the immediate families of the bride and groom and the wedding party. The bouquet toss was to the married or engaged bridesmaids and the garter toss was to the married groomsmen. I was so embarrassed for the bride.

• Options
    Charm pulling is the only one I can think of.
  • Options
    I live in the south and in all the weddings I've been to have NEVER had a money dance, I wouldn't say it is a "southern" tradition.  I had never heard of it until a couple from the northeast mentioned it.  I think what is far more "traditional" in southern weddings is having great food and drinks in a very casual atmosphere where people are free to socialize and have a good time.  Most of the weddings I've been to, people haven't even stayed in the same seats for the entirety of the meal.  We aren't even bothering with a seating chart for that reason. 

I think the more organized activities you try to do, the more chance you run of killing the natural flow of things.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards