Illinois-Chicago

XP: Honeymoon in Chicago

I posted this in the Honeymoon page too a while back but I thought I'd add it in here too.

FI and I are planning our honeymoon in Chicago for the end of Jan. 2014. We will be staying on Magnificent Mile but aren't really "tourist-y" people. Any suggestions on things to do that are out of the ordinary but still lots of fun.

We won't have a car because we are taking the train in. (We are from west Michigan)

Thanks in advance!

Re: XP: Honeymoon in Chicago

• KayDeeeKayDeee member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    Thinking indoors mostly here because it's winter, but being from Michigan you should be able to handle the cold. Also, not sure if you're food and drink people, but Chicago is a great place to go if you're ready to eat so I could go on for days about food but ... 

Improv shows at the IO in Wrigleyville, or comedy events at Second City.  There's ice skating at Millennium Park. Hancock building also has had "skating in the sky" indoors not sure if they're doing it again next year.

There's a group called the Neo-Futurists that does a show called Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind where they do 30 plays in 60 mins based on suggestions. 

If you are a fan of NPR you can try to go to a taping of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me."

If you like music and classic video games, there's a record store in Logan Square that sells, well, records but they also have classic video games set up in a back room that you can play (think original Pac Man and Donkey Kong and Tron). It's called LOGAN HARDWARE and Yelp will says it's closed but it's not. It used to be a hardware store THAT closed. Now it's a record store.

There's live band karaoke - where you get to sing in front of a live band of course - at Piece Pizza in Wicker Park on the weekends (the pizza is really great and good beer selection)

The Cultural Center is a great place to wander around and get a few snap shots of the Tiffany ceiling.

It falls under touristy but really the museums are great .. and bars. Lots and lots of bars.

For live music, smaller shows at Metro, Bottom Lounge, Empty Bottle, Shubas, Lincoln Theatre, the Vic.

That's all I've got for now. I have no idea if these are the kinds of things you would like at all but these are the things I enjoy about Chicago.

• I agree with what Kaydee has to say. If you lke theatre I highly suggest taking in a show at one of the local compay's House Theatre and Lookingglass theatre are both amazing and Lookingglass is right on the Avenue by Watertower Place.  Don't be afraid to see the neighorhoods. Get a CTA Map and use it. One of my favorite restaurants in the city is Broadway Cellars it's in a northern neighborhood of Edgewater but totally worth it especially for sunday bruch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards