June 2014 Weddings

FI part of your planning?

My FI is a bit overwhelmed with everything, but he's all for voicing his opinion when asked - which I am very grateful for. I want this to be OUR wedding, just not MY day. Ya feel me?

How are you all handling the wedding/reception? Are you including the FI or are a lot of you taking charge and he can just deal with it? ;)
Interestingly, NaniLoa

Re: FI part of your planning?

• FI is very involved and opinionated. He isn't super into it yet, since it is so far away, and there are some things he doesn't care about, like photography or my dress (he does NOT want to see it). But he has been contacting reception venues and researching flowers. He even picked the reception site. I am very thankful that he wants to be so involved and help with so many things.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He picked the reception venue?! Awesome! :D I feel it's always good to have the opnion from the FI for sure! Looks like you guys are doing well with the planning. Just wondered what everyone else thought about it! (my FI doesn't want to see the dress AT ALL either...hehe - very traditional that way, non?)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_fi-part-of-your-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:3c0d3705-f2e5-46ad-b3ac-484282fe491aPost:43ef74ca-f968-44bb-9015-ad749c68dbc7">Re: FI part of your planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI is very involved and opinionated. He isn't super into it yet, since it is so far away, and there are some things he doesn't care about, like photography or my dress (he does NOT want to see it). But he has been contacting reception venues and researching flowers. He even picked the reception site. I am very thankful that he wants to be so involved and help with so many things.
    Posted by Chloeagh[/QUOTE]
    Interestingly, NaniLoa
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_fi-part-of-your-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:3c0d3705-f2e5-46ad-b3ac-484282fe491aPost:26473ac0-4eec-4719-a91c-16a87d081bd2">Re: FI part of your planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He picked the reception venue?! Awesome! :D I feel it's always good to have the opnion from the FI for sure! Looks like you guys are doing well with the planning. Just wondered what everyone else thought about it! (my FI doesn't want to see the dress AT ALL either...hehe - very traditional that way, non?) In Response to Re: FI part of your planning? :
    Posted by NaniLoa[/QUOTE]
    Haha, oops, that was suppose to say "ceremony site." I told him which one's I was okay with and he picked. Although he'll probably pick the reception site, too (with input from me, of course), since he's the one researching them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI wants to be apart of every single detail! He is overseas and we even video chatted at each of the venues so he could "be there".
  • YAY for FIs being involved! :D It's his day, too. Even though you'll never hear anyone say that. Hehe.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_fi-part-of-your-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:3c0d3705-f2e5-46ad-b3ac-484282fe491aPost:bd9f7eb0-5066-4619-a1bf-a69b1627b8bc">Re: FI part of your planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FI part of your planning? : Haha, oops, that was suppose to say "ceremony site." I told him which one's I was okay with and he picked. Although he'll probably pick the reception site, too (with input from me, of course), since he's the one researching them.
    Posted by Chloeagh[/QUOTE]
    Interestingly, NaniLoa
  • Wow - video chat?... Way to keep him a part of everything! I saw someone post earlier about her FI being deployed... That's gotta be tough. But even sweeter when you guys get married.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_fi-part-of-your-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:3c0d3705-f2e5-46ad-b3ac-484282fe491aPost:30294baf-32c9-45d2-b94a-c92705569dd4">Re: FI part of your planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI wants to be apart of every single detail! He is overseas and we even video chatted at each of the venues so he could "be there".
    Posted by julespinkribbon[/QUOTE]
    Interestingly, NaniLoa
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_fi-part-of-your-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:3c0d3705-f2e5-46ad-b3ac-484282fe491aPost:681e053e-7edd-4834-b72f-979d7ad2878c">Re: FI part of your planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow - video chat?... Way to keep him a part of everything! I saw someone post earlier about her FI being deployed... That's gotta be tough. But even sweeter when you guys get married. In Response to Re: FI part of your planning? :
    Posted by NaniLoa[/QUOTE]

yes its been reallly really hard!!! But he comes home in exactly 1 week!!! lol im so excited so we will be planning everything together as soon as he is home!
  • Oh wow! Your FI's are super involved. My FI works a LOT of hours and since I'm in graduate school my time is more flexible...and I'm pickier. So I gave him 5 options for a reception venue and he and his parents decided. It was actually my favorite (albeit most expensive) so it worked out well :) Other than that I'll ask him questions about things here but not too much.
  • My fiance is apart of it when he hears me speaking to other ppl about details....because thats when the baby doesnt feel included......but let me ask him while he's watching the game......
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
  • My FI wants to be involved, but he gets stressed about work, us having a baby this August, bills, etc etc. So I've tried giving him less stressful parts of the planning to focus on. Like the design of his tux, his favorite dessert for the reception, so on and so forth. I'll definitely include him in all the major decisions as well, but we both feel like it's mostly going to be me picking stuff out, and he's super okay with that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was surprised at the amount of involvement mine has shown.  I felt really overwhelmed thinking I had to plan the whole thing on my own and he's really come through for me.  He's even willing to share opinions on the little details too.  :)
  • Mine is super involved, but I'm a bit more obsessed and impatient so I'm pushing to get a lot of stuff decided/done asap, whereas he's trying to reign me in. Last weekend we went to our chosen location (we're having a destination wedding in Bar Harbor, Maine) and looked at a few possible venues together. We've also been browsing save the date designs, which was his idea (even though our date isn't really set in stone yet as we need to make sure we can actually get the venue we want!)
  • Mine is involved and not involved at the same time. I come up with the ideas then he voices his opinion. The only one requirement he had is a chocolate fountain, which we are having.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • MIne is involved...he chose the invitations, what he will wear, gave his opinion on the ceremony/reception venue and I agreed to the one he liked best, we decided on the menu together. He's actually much more involved than I thought he would be, his parents say he wasn't involved in planning his previous wedding. 

It's a big day for both of us, I want him involved and am enjoying working together on this.
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Mine is very involved.  He tried to play like he doesn't want to be that involved but so far he has chosen the males attire, picked the menu out for reception, and planned a bonfire after.  Today he was calling around to cake places to set up times to taste test. 
  • I'm the DIYer, but he is very involved.  Music & food are all his (except for desserts & ice cream :-)  
    He even watches 4 Weddings with me (ha!)

Mostly, he is not only putting up with, but appreciates my near-obsessive love of party planning.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI has been doing pretty well. Right after we got engaged we went all over town to look at venues and talk to caterers, so that was nice. He's offered up some suggestions and opinons, has been involved with the registry, was patient while I tried on dresses (although he doesn't want to know what it looks like, which is sweet in itself), etc. It's been fun.

If I bring up something like colors he runs away, but fair enough. LOL. 

With the important stuff he's been great. With the more nuanced girly shit he doesn't really want to get involved but that's fine by me. I'm pretty overwhelmed with the idea of planning a honeymoon so I'll probably have him handle that side of things more. 
  • wabanzi said:
    I'm the DIYer, but he is very involved.  Music & food are all his (except for desserts & ice cream :-)  

Mostly, he is not only putting up with, but appreciates my near-obsessive love of party planning.
    I got home from class one day and he had some wedding show on TV. It made me squee. Haha.

I was engaged to someone else a few years ago and planning was totally different. He didn't even really want to get married so I didn't even really feel comfortable talking about stuff with Douche. It's really nice to be with someone that cares (almost) as much about it as you do :)
  • FiancB said:
    wabanzi said:
    I'm the DIYer, but he is very involved.  Music & food are all his (except for desserts & ice cream :-)  

I got home from class one day and he had some wedding show on TV. It made me squee. Haha.

I was engaged to someone else a few years ago and planning was totally different. He didn't even really want to get married so I didn't even really feel comfortable talking about stuff with Douche. It's really nice to be with someone that cares (almost) as much about it as you do :)
    So glad you aren't with the Douche anymore! 
    Hilarious about catching FI watching weddings :-)  Just one of the many, many things that we love about them {{sigh}}
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards