Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

What did you do/what are you doing to keep from crying?

I seriously start feeling like I'm going to cry when I'm working on my vows. I am not like this normally but now I'm worried I'm gonna lose it during the ceremony, I mean, getting teary and I'm just starting to write some ideas? Yikes. Please give me some tricks or tips, thanks.

Also, I have no problems with tears at a ceremony, it's very touching and moving, but me hyperventilating, runny nose, getting choked up? No, no, no.

ETA: clarity, I haven't balled or anything yet, but I get that feeling, you know, tight throat, misty eyes..
-anjo (aka the future mrs miley :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What did you do/what are you doing to keep from crying?

• I once saw on here that someone recommended reading it over and over so much that it wasn't "emotional" to read anymore.  You kind of condition yourself to not cry.

I don't think tears are so much the problem, it's being able to still speak clearly.  Can you not read clearly anymore when you start crying?  Also, are you an ugly cryier (no offense!)?  If you can still speak clearly and just have some tears rolling down your cheeks during your vows, I think that would look lovely in picutres!  Just make sure you have waterproof everything on your eyes!

• Haha! I don't think I'm an ugly crier, I should ask my mom.  And yes that's the issue I'm most worried about is speaking clearly.  When I get upset, like angry or hurt or anything I completely clam up.

I think it will get better with time, and once I nail it down I am going to practice in a variety of ways. Thank you @OliveOilsMom !
    -anjo (aka the future mrs miley :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    I'm not doing anything to stop it.  I'm just wearing waterproof eye make up.  Our celebrant, for this reason, highly recommends doing "repeat after me" vows.  He can say them clearly and loudly so that the guests can hear and we can just focus on saying them to each other without having to worry about everyone else hearing every single word clearly as they come out of our mouths. We've both written our own but they'll be repeated.
  • Both my husband and I straight-up ugly cried during our wedding. We're both big criers—both in happy times and in sad—and we also chose a very emotional ceremony format. We had a Quaker wedding where people could stand up and share their thoughts with us if they felt moved. It was extremely emotional. At one point, my mom was talking about my ill grandmother and I definitely sobbed audibly. I had to blow my nose a couple of times.

We didn't do anything to stop our crying. I wore waterproof makeup and we both had plenty of tissues. I was nervous about it before the wedding, but I realized that it was more important to me to actually feel my emotions and be authentic to myself than to not cry or look good or whatever. I just took my time and paused to breathe while saying my vows. Our photographer captured lots of pictures of the crying, and while some might find them ugly, they take me right back to the emotions and beauty of that day.

• Screw it. Cry your heart out, I'm sure you, your FH, and guests, would end up laughing and it would be a memorable moment.
  • This is why I'm doing my pictures beforehand.  I cry uncontrollably when I'm watching strangers get married on t.v., I don't know how I'll possibly make it though my own ceremony. 

I once heard that you should keep repeating a phrase in your head like "apples oranges watermelons cherries" and just focus on it, and that'll keep you from crying.  However, I don't want to be focusing on "apples oranges watermelons cherries" through my ceremony so I'll just let myself cry.

I didn't do anything in particular but I do think our first look helped. I cried like crazy when we first saw each other and could take it all in. When the ceremony came around I didn't have any jitters and was just so excited!

• I'm happy to hear the first look helped with not crying. I am hoping that works for me. I have my processional song (Canon) on my iPod and sometimes at the gym it comes on shuffle and I literally start tearing up as I'm running on the treadmill. People at my gym must think I'm weird.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards