Destination Weddings Discussions

New to the DW board and already with questions!

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by making a new post to introduce myself, so I apologize in advance....

Anyhow, this is my very 1st post on the board.... I'm getting married in Tulum, México on April 19th, 2014.  We just changed our wedding date this week as we needed a little more time to save up more money for our big day, we initially had February 15th (2014) picked out for our wedding but life happens and had to reschedule.   However, we sent our Save The Dates back in July, but now we need to resend the new STD's (next week) - I honestly feel extremely awful, and don't think we're giving our guests enough time to prepare for travel arrangements that I'm getting worried thinking we will be getting wed with just our immediate family around us. 

Do you girls think this is inappropriate? Are we giving our guests enough time to prepare by sending the formal invites in November (5 months before the wedding)?

Any advice/thoughts are welcome!  Thanks in advance.

Re: New to the DW board and already with questions!

• Hello and welcome!  Depending on how many people who have coming, I would maybe just start calling people and let them know ASAP and get the invites sent out in October instead of November. 
  • Hmmm I don't think you should send out the formal invitations so far in advance. In my experience, when they are sent out too early people don't really RSVP because they end up forgetting. I think sending out the save the dates early is will give them enough time to plan accordingly. 

Just notify everyone of the changed date via phone/email. And don't stress too much. Everything will work out once your day arrives. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi Saric83, we're inviting 25 people. 
  • TerriHugg said:
    Hmmm I don't think you should send out the formal invitations so far in advance. In my experience, when they are sent out too early people don't really RSVP because they end up forgetting. I think sending out the save the dates early is will give them enough time to plan accordingly. 

Just notify everyone of the changed date via phone/email. And don't stress too much. Everything will work out once your day arrives. 
    Thank you, Terri! You made me feel better. Will do!

• Honestly by the time ours went out most of the people that were going to go already booked. Esp since you have save the dates. Do you have a wedding website or anything with some booking info? I know that was a big help for our guests too.
    Anniversary
  • O and Welcome and congratulations!!!
    Anniversary
  • Welcome and congrats! I agree with Meg - if you sent STD and have a website, don't worry so much about sending the formal invites out early. All our guests either checked out our website or called us directly if they had questions while setting up their travel plans.

that being said - since you sent out STD and now have a different date I would contact everyone ASAP to let them know plans have changed.  If you have a website - make that an announcement on the main page as obvious as possible so folks get the heads up. It would be horrible for someone to book something for your original date any then not get to attend your actual date.
  • Yea, the wedding website is a great idea. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards