Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Are my highlights being done correctly?

My stylist is my FI's family friend, and I've been having her cut my hair for almost as long as I've known my FI (I was new to the area, needed a hair cut, he suggested my stylist, and the rest is history).  At the time, I had been doing my own highlights, but once I graduated and starting taking interviews/got a "big girl" job, I decided it was time to have a professional do my highlights.  I was extremely hesitant to let someone else color my hair, first out of fear of being gouged (my hair is nearly 24 inches long) and second out of fear of screwing it up.  But she convinced me that she knew what she was doing and would offer me a special friends and family discount.

I've gone in every 10 wks for about a year now, and I'm starting to have repetitive issues with how my hair is turning out.  She only colors the "new growth", which she says protects my hair from becoming over processed and damaged.  Understandable, right?  Well, she doesn't do a particularly good job of finding which strands have already been colored and kind of admits to coloring willy-nilly.  The result:  if I move through my hair, some strands will have what I call stripes of color (blonde, brown, blonde, brown, blonde all the way down).  When I ask her why the striping is occurring she tells me that I shouldn't worry about it, because it's about the over-all look, not the specifics.  Last time I had to go back for corrective coloring (to eliminate some striping) and after this last appointment, I'm afraid I might have to go in for corrective again.

My initial question is, is this normal or am I being forgiving because she's a family friend?  And if not, then how do I get this problem fixed (either with her or a new stylist) before the big day?

Re: Are my highlights being done correctly?

• Options

No it's not normal.  My hair stylist always did root to tip each time to all for consistant color. This way no matter how you have your hair styled the highlights should flow and no stripes. The only time I've really seen just roots done is when someone has growth from an all over hair color and then all the roots are done, not just select pieces of hair.

I think you need to find a new hairdresser. Find a friend or co-worker that has highlights you think look nice & ask them for the name of their stylist.  Good luck!!

• Options

I've never had highlights just applied to the root so I think that is weird. 

If you are doing all over color sometimes the stylist will apply the color to the new growth for about 15 minutes and then apply to the rest of the hair for the remaining time.

I would find a new stylist.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I haven't gotten highlights for awhile, but I used to get them regularly. My stylist would highlight all my hair every time so that it looked even. Then about every third time I went she would dye all my hair my natural color and then do highlights on top of that to keep it from getting too light with all of the highlights. I hope that made sense. I've definitely never seen only the roots done for highlights.
  • Options
    Are you guys looking for a new stylist? Come check me out :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards