Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Venue Question

Hi all,

So this past weekend my FI, parents and I went to look at a few venues for the upcoming wedding.  We are trying to pull this together fairly quickly (end of March, early April), so our options are a little limited.

I'm wondering if people walk into a hotel/restaurant/etc and get that "feeling" that this is the place you are supposed to have your reception?  I had that feeling with the chapel, but I'm not sure how excited I can get about a banquet room.

The one hangup my FI and I have is that it's a hotel, and the colors in the rooms are all gold window drapings and maroon-y carpet.  We want to do shades of blue for our wedding, and I'm not sure if I need to worry about the appearance of the room clashing with the wedding party colors.

Will people even remember anything, besides the food, music, and potentially centerpieces/favors (if they're awesome)?  I'm worried I'm getting totally hung up on details that just don't matter...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Venue Question

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2013
    KateJ16 said:

Hi all,

So this past weekend my FI, parents and I went to look at a few venues for the upcoming wedding.  We are trying to pull this together fairly quickly (end of March, early April), so our options are a little limited.

I'm wondering if people walk into a hotel/restaurant/etc and get that "feeling" that this is the place you are supposed to have your reception?  I had that feeling with the chapel, but I'm not sure how excited I can get about a banquet room.

The one hangup my FI and I have is that it's a hotel, and the colors in the rooms are all gold window drapings and maroon-y carpet.  We want to do shades of blue for our wedding, and I'm not sure if I need to worry about the appearance of the room clashing with the wedding party colors.

Will people even remember anything, besides the food, music, and potentially centerpieces/favors (if they're awesome)?  I'm worried I'm getting totally hung up on details that just don't matter...

Your wedding colors do not need to match the venue. No one will notice.

If it's in your budget and you like the food/drink options and think your guests will have a great time, go for it.

The guest experience should always take precedence over how "pretty" the venue is.

• Options

Thanks @itzMS - All the places we are looking at will be a geat time for guests, I have no hang-ups about that... we are making sure to look for places known for their food with easy access to parking as well as hotels for ease of staying (if they want to).

I think my biggest concern is that I don't want to "settle" for a location just because its open.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KateJ16 said:

Hi all,

I'm wondering if people walk into a hotel/restaurant/etc and get that "feeling" that this is the place you are supposed to have your reception? Ours was under construction when we booked it, so no. But it ended up being awesome. That "feeling" isn't necessary IMHO - it is what you make it.  I had that feeling with the chapel, but I'm not sure how excited I can get about a banquet room.

The one hangup my FI and I have is that it's a hotel, and the colors in the rooms are all gold window drapings and maroon-y carpet.  We want to do shades of blue for our wedding, and I'm not sure if I need to worry about the appearance of the room clashing with the wedding party colors. Personally, I wouldn't. I cannot tell you the color of the carpet or drapes of any wedding venue I've ever been to. 

Will people even remember anything, besides the food yes, music yes, and potentially centerpieces/favors (if they're awesome) maybe - I only remember favors if they suck and centerpieces if they suck or are awesome?  I'm worried I'm getting totally hung up on details that just don't matter...

Spend your money on awesome food, awesome drink (if you can afford it) and good music - not matching your venue. Visit a few more venues to see what your options are and choose from there.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I got that feeling about a restaurant that I thought was the most beautiful, exciting place I'd ever been in.  Unfortunately it is closed now.

I tend not to notice color schemes unless they really clash.  I think you can still do blue to some extent with the gold and maroon; for example, you could have blue flowers in your centerpieces.  But most people won't care.

Food, drink, and music are things people notice-especially if they're bad.  I'd concentrate your energy and resources on this.
  • Options
    To me a ballroom is a ballroom - I don't really pay any attention to the decor in ballrooms unless it's bad (like the one time we were guests at a wedding where the ballroom was actually the courtyard in the center of the hotel - and there were people in bathing suits dancing to the music in the windows of their hotel rooms that overlooked the reception. That was just weird).

We chose our venue because it was a) a beautiful ceremony space with a reception room big enough to hold our guests, b) in budget, and c) had goats and mini horses. Not kidding. The decor of the reception space wasn't a big deal to me.
  • Options
    allispain said:
    (like the one time we were guests at a wedding where the ballroom was actually the courtyard in the center of the hotel - and there were people in bathing suits dancing to the music in the windows of their hotel rooms that overlooked the reception. That was just weird).

Lolololol!!!!!!!
  • Options
    jenn77b said:
    allispain said:
    (like the one time we were guests at a wedding where the ballroom was actually the courtyard in the center of the hotel - and there were people in bathing suits dancing to the music in the windows of their hotel rooms that overlooked the reception. That was just weird).

Lolololol!!!!!!!
    Haha yeah it was super awkward. At the beginning of the night, DH rated the venue as a 9 out of 10 (he's watched one too many episodes of Four Weddings with me). By the end of the night he gave it a 2. He STILL talks about that reception - and not in a good way.
  • Options

@allispain that is bizarre! 

Thanks everyone - I decided to go ahead with the place because we know we will have great food, great service, and an easy location to get to.  Need to work with them a little to make the booze up to my and FI's standards, but I think we can negotiate that! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards