Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake dilemma - What should I do

Ok, I have a bit of a pickle with this issue. So, I'm asking for some advice !

My future hubby's cousin's girlfriend started this cake business. I wanted to encourage her. So, I said I would let her to do my wedding cake. I ordered one for my son's birthday so I could try it out ... It's very dry and I do not like it. I feel very bad because I've already told her that I'd take her ... Yeah, I'm dumb like that ! Though, that's not the only problem she charges just as much as the bakery I usually go to for events and that bakery makes the best best cakes. I'd lock myself in their shop for the rest of my life and I'd die happy.

So, what do I do ? Do I tell her that I'm going another way ? The wedding is in a month and a half and I don't want to be the mean guy ... but I also want our special day to be just perfect since I planned it to be that way ... ugh, thanks in advance !!

Re: Cake dilemma - What should I do

• I would be honest with her.  If she hopes to have a successful career and shop then she needs to know that what she is putting out there is not that great so she can make some corrections.

Do you have a contract with her or was this an informal "oh you can do my wedding cake" kind of thing?  If you don't have a contract tell her that you are sorry but that you have decided to go with someone else.

• No, I don't have a contract with her. We talked about it only. 

I want to be honest with her but I don't want to hurt her feelings. Then again, it's kind of my own darn fault that I put myself in that situation. Though, you're right, if she wants to be able to correct her work, I'll have to tell her ...

Thanks, it helped a lot :-)
  • "Katie, I'm so sorry, but FI & I found the cake you made for Carter's birthday to be very dry. We really liked the (decorations/color/insert something you liked here), though! We won't be able to have you bake our wedding cake unless the texture is improved. Can we do some tastings in the next week to confirm which recipe we like?"

If she says no, or that she's too busy to do tastings, say "Thanks but no thanks", and get yourself to another bakery STAT.

• itzMS said:

"Katie, I'm so sorry, but FI & I found the cake you made for Carter's birthday to be very dry. We really liked the (decorations/color/insert something you liked here), though! We won't be able to have you bake our wedding cake unless the texture is improved. Can we do some tastings in the next week to confirm which recipe we like?"

If she says no, or that she's too busy to do tastings, say "Thanks but no thanks", and get yourself to another bakery STAT.

Agreed.
  • I wouldn't ask her to modify her baking and do tastings unless you would actually get the cake from her if she improved.  If you have your heart set on this other bakery, I would just tell her that you're sorry, but you've been thinking more about the other bakery and decided to change your mind.  
  • I'm just curious when you say she started this "cake business". Is it an actual bakery or is she making them out of her house or something? If that's the case you could always blame the venue and say they require a licensed and insured business to deliver food. I don't know if that's the case, but I just thought I would throw that out there to try to spare any hurt feelings from family members if you don't use her.
  • Tammym1001, she does it out of her home. So, I was very stressed about the transportation of the cake and everything.

Anyways, I actually told her that I was very stressed out about the whole cake situation. I told her that it was very stressful time and to unload all of it, I'd rather go with a bakery that has done multiple cakes for weddings and other events.

Everything turned out fine. So, hopefully, she'll attend the wedding without being upset :-/.

Thank you ladies !

• Glad it worked out for you in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards