Ohio-Cincinnati

Can anyone recommend a Catholic Priest/ Deacon?

We had our priest bail on us a few weeks ago and since then I cannot find anyone available to officiate. It must be a CATHOLIC priest. I would really like someone who is upbeat and modern I hope that makes sense just someone who will make it a fun ceremony. Anyways any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. Our wedding is July 6 , 2013 and it's a 10am wedding. Oh yeah, if they're on the west side that is definitely a bonus as well! : thank you!!

Re: Can anyone recommend a Catholic Priest/ Deacon?

• I'm interested to hear why your priest "bailed" on your ceremony. Anyway, I'd start off by speaking to your parish to see if they can find another priest to come and perform your ceremony. You can't really go "shopping" for a priest to do your wedding, most likely they're going to require you to at least be a parishoner and to have been one there for around a year, so. Yea you might want to speak with your home parish, if you don't have one, now would be a good time to find one.

Anniversary
  • Fr Mark Burger currently parish priest at Our Lady Of Visitation
  • Oh my gosh.  That sucks.  I have a family friend priest coming in to marry us.  It was a nuisance trying to find a Catholic church at all.  Most every church was booked for our wedding day (10/13/12), so I agree with PP find a church immediately.  Unless you have one and just need the priest.  In which case, I would think that church would be able to help you.
  • We're parishioners at the church that we're getting married in, and we were having a family friend who is a priest come in to marry us. He accidentally double booked himself at his home parish though and his responsibilities are there so we got bumped. Our church's priest is out of town that day.
  • For upbeat and modern, try calling Fr. Al at St. Monica-St. George.  

For best availability, try finding a retired priest.  On the west side - Fr. Westerhoff?  The archdiocese may be able to help you out. 
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_can-anyone-recommend-a-catholic-priest-deacon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:9fd7331c-a8a8-4e5c-a2af-caff5cd45715Post:96638564-a8ae-42a7-88c3-ba62aa6238b6">Re: Can anyone recommend a Catholic Priest/ Deacon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm interested to hear why your priest "bailed" on your ceremony. Anyway, I'd start off by speaking to your parish to see if they can find another priest to come and perform your ceremony. <strong>You can't really go "shopping" for a priest to do your wedding,</strong> most likely they're going to require you to at least be a parishoner and to have been one there for around a year, so. Yea you might want to <strong>speak with your home parish</strong>, if you don't have one, now would be a good time to find one.
    Posted by lindsaynewbride10[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree.</div><div>
    </div><div>Your home parish will recommend someone else.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are plenty of Catholic priests and/or deacons out there who would be more than happy to perform your wedding ceremony. While many of them would probably love if you were a parishioner at their respective parish, I've never heard of a priest or deacon telling someone they wouldn't be willing to perform their ceremony if you WEREN'T a parishioner where they wish you were, haha. So long as you've gone through, or are planning to go through, the pre-cana wedding preparations offered through the Catholic church, and so long as you're willing to meet with the priest and/or deacon before your ceremony to discuss those preparations, I don't see anyone being unwilling to be part of your wedding day.

My fiance and I are getting married at St. Andrew in Milford, Ohio. Our deacon is Deacon Tim Schutte, and he's absolutely awesome. Our presiding priest will be Fr. Jim Bramlage, who is retired, but who is also very sweet. I highly recommend both!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_can-anyone-recommend-a-catholic-priest-deacon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:9fd7331c-a8a8-4e5c-a2af-caff5cd45715Post:96638564-a8ae-42a7-88c3-ba62aa6238b6">Re: Can anyone recommend a Catholic Priest/ Deacon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm interested to hear why your priest "bailed" on your ceremony. Anyway, I'd start off by speaking to your parish to see if they can find another priest to come and perform your ceremony. You can't really go "shopping" for a priest to do your wedding, most likely they're going to require you to at least be a parishoner and to have been one there for around a year, so. Yea you might want to speak with your home parish, if you don't have one, now would be a good time to find one.
    Posted by lindsaynewbride10[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Not true at all. Most parishes will let you bring in any priest you want. We are getting married downtown and the priest we are using is my cousin and is not even from this diocese. A lot of couples bring in their favorite priests to the church they where they want to get married. </div><div>
    </div><div>I would try Fr. Barry. I think he's either at the Cathedral downtown or at St. Rose. He's fantastic, although he's popular, so he may be booked.

</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_can-anyone-recommend-a-catholic-priest-deacon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:9fd7331c-a8a8-4e5c-a2af-caff5cd45715Post:96638564-a8ae-42a7-88c3-ba62aa6238b6">Re: Can anyone recommend a Catholic Priest/ Deacon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm interested to hear why your priest "bailed" on your ceremony. Anyway, I'd start off by speaking to your parish to see if they can find another priest to come and perform your ceremony. You can't really go "shopping" for a priest to do your wedding, most likely they're going to require you to at least be a parishoner and to have been one there for around a year, so. Yea you might want to speak with your home parish, if you don't have one, now would be a good time to find one.
    Posted by lindsaynewbride10[/QUOTE]
     Not sure where the hostility is coming from.. Just trying to fix a problem so that my big day goes well... 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_can-anyone-recommend-a-catholic-priest-deacon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:9fd7331c-a8a8-4e5c-a2af-caff5cd45715Post:ba3e1b30-6cce-4661-8990-170331277092">Re: Can anyone recommend a Catholic Priest/ Deacon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For upbeat and modern, try calling Fr. Al at St. Monica-St. George.   For best availability, try finding a retired priest.  On the west side - Fr. Westerhoff?  The archdiocese may be able to help you out. 
    Posted by ucenginerd[/QUOTE]
    Father Hirt is going to oficiate for us. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_can-anyone-recommend-a-catholic-priest-deacon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:9fd7331c-a8a8-4e5c-a2af-caff5cd45715Post:b38fb1f9-d22d-4839-8ba7-107da3e75fb3">Re: Can anyone recommend a Catholic Priest/ Deacon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can anyone recommend a Catholic Priest/ Deacon? :  Not sure where the hostility is coming from.. Just trying to fix a problem so that my big day goes well... 
    Posted by kbriner[/QUOTE]

There was actually no hostility in what i was saying, more or less trying to help you understand that you need to first speak with your parish before you go out hunting for a new priest independently. Other parishes don't take too kindly to non-parishoners calling up asking to use their priest for a ceremony outside their parish.
    Anniversary
  • Hi kbriner! How was your experience with Father Hirt? I'm going through the same thing currently, as I haven't lived in Cincinanti for more than a decade and my home parish is states away!

Thanks!
  • I have been attending Catholic Church for roughly 2 years and am currently going through RCIA with my FI. @ St. Joes in Cold Spring KY.

FR. Gerry (Jerry) Reinersman has been my favorite priest out of any catholic church Ive been too. He is prob in his 50s but relates so well to young people. (I am 25 and within his first month at our church he knew who I was and took a great interest in me.) I do not know about him traveling to another church but it doesnt hurt to ask!

• Congratulations @MrShoe for going through the RCIA program! Good for you. I sponsored a good friend of mine through it and it was life-changing for the both of us.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards