Wedding Woes

My ex thinks I owe him for nursing me back to health

Dear Prudence,
For several years I had a debilitating illness that nearly killed me and clouded my thinking. I was in the hospital for months on end. Throughout all of it, there was a wonderful man, K, by my side who did everything to be there for me. We used to be friends but ended up as a couple during my illness, despite the fact that I was too weak for anything remotely sexual. This could have ended as a tragically doomed terminal-illness romance. But it didn’t. Despite the doctors' expectations, I recovered. I'm healthy and I can live my life to the fullest. I'm back in school and things are going great. With the exception of K. I broke things off with him not too long after I recovered. I felt awful about it. He'd spent so much time and energy on me that I felt as if I had taken advantage of him. But we just weren't compatible; the illness was what held us together. It was like waking up with someone after you've been really, really drunk. I tried to be gentle, but since I broke it off he has left hundreds of messages on my phone. He has accused me of emotional abuse and claimed that I'm the reason he has suicidal thoughts. I don't want to speak to him, but what am I supposed to tell a guy who sends me an email saying that it's his birthday and he's alone and asking me to just talk for five minutes? When I’ve done this it ends up with him confessing his love! I should be grateful to him, but I just can't stand him. Please help.

—I'm Done

Re: My ex thinks I owe him for nursing me back to health

• People who use suicide as a threat are not to be entertained. He's a manipulator, plain and simple. 

Run away, Mrs.Conn. 
  • So she wasn't interested, he swooped when she was ill and vulnerable, and now he thinks that she owes it to him to stick with decisions she made while he was taking advantage of her illness. 

Does "wonderful man" mean something other than what I think it means?
  • Get him professional help. Threats of suicide should be taken seriously, but you are not the one that can save him. Reach out to a friend or family member of his that you trust can help him get the professional assistance he needs.
  • OK - it's starting to get to the point that it's not even funny anymore.  It's still entertaining.  Just not as funny.  

• MrsRadke said:
    Get him professional help. Threats of suicide should be taken seriously, but you are not the one that can save him. Reach out to a friend or family member of his that you trust can help him get the professional assistance he needs.
    Agreed.  But make sure once you let someone know that you stop all communication with him.  Don't keep adding fuel to his fire.  You are not responsible for making him suicidal, he has no coping skills and needs to get some.  If he were to ever act on this, please know that it's not your fault. 
  • M-fing geniuses.
  • AuntFlo said:

M-fing geniuses.

I used to think this was so funny, but now I can't get over the fact it keeps happening. Are there really that many people with reading comprehension fail?
  • So what is the point of posting these things that were written elsewhere on a wedding website?  Just to sit and giggle when people respond thinking that the OP is the author?  Are you five years old or what?

Yes, you tricked me, you silly, wise person!  Oh my, you must have no lives.
  • No, we like to answer and compare our answers to Prudie.  It gives us something to do, keeps the board active and starts new discussions.

But it's set up with a "Dear Prudence" in bold and has a signature name at the end of the post.  Does it really not seem weird or obvious that this might be something different from 95% of the other posts on here.
  • jenn77bjenn77b member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    No, actually I noticed some of the other ones posted and realized they weren't "original", but alas, it is Friday and I'm half-assing it today...apparently in every way.  But I'm still really proud of the advice I gave.  lol.  This one hit a little too close to home, too (not my home, but a friend's...with the whole suicidal thing.)
  • ESPECIALLY because all of these things appear to keep happening to the same poster. woe is mrs.conns for having so many problems!
  • jenn77bjenn77b member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    Sorry, but I've only read a couple and have only been coming here for a week or less, so I haven't caught on completely...now I know better.  I do have major empathy for mrs.conn, though.  I think she needs some professional help at this point.  Opinionated brides can only offer so much advice...she needs some deep healing...and perhaps some meds.

• Excellent.  

• It says "Dear Prudence" right there in the godsdamned post!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards