Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Reception food for diabetics

I'm trying to plan my reception meal, but I can't find any online guidelines for diabetics. For instance, is honey ok? I know to avoid sugar, but what about in cooking a pork roast? Are baked apples (sugar-free recipe) even worth specially making?

If anyone can tell me the basic guidelines, or give me a website to go to, I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Reception food for diabetics

• I think it depends on the particular person, what kind of diabetes they have, and how they manage it.   You might prepare a meal for them based on internet guidelines to discover that they've found that those particular foods don't work for them.  Do you have many guests with diabetes?  If it's only a few people, I would consider asking them.  
  • Diabetics are all different, but for the most part a diabetic diet is low-carb.  For instance, stay away from breads because they are high-carb (of course they can just choose not to have the roll if it's available), but have protein (roast works) and non-starchy vegetables (no potato, corn, etc).  As for the baked apples, that sounds great as long as you aren't adding sugar.  Don't stress too much.  Diabetics know what they can and cannot eat; if you have more than one option, they will pick what they should and shouldn't eat.  That being said, though it's detrimental to consume high-carb meals consistently, one fairly high-carb wedding dinner will not be the end of them.
  • BaTs89 said:

I'm trying to plan my reception meal, but I can't find any online guidelines for diabetics. For instance, is honey ok? I know to avoid sugar, but what about in cooking a pork roast? Are baked apples (sugar-free recipe) even worth specially making?

If anyone can tell me the basic guidelines, or give me a website to go to, I'd really appreciate it.

I think it is because each person is different. Diabetes isn't simply avoiding sugar. I think this is one of those cases where you offer healthy choices and they will manage what they eat and how much.
  • Thanks so much! I asked a friend who's diabetic, and one of the more strict guests. I wanted to have enough choices that they could eat, but because there are only 23 people, we are making everything ourselves. 3 of my fiance's parents are diabetic, my fiance is pre-diabetic (he's going to enjoy himself on our wedding night though), and my dad is watching his sugars. We are doing 2 kinds of baked apples, using honey instead of sugar and a sugar-free cranberry sauce in the pork roast, and I'm thinking of serving another vegetable besides garlic mashed potatoes.
    I just know from cooking for celiacs that there were specific guidelines, and wanted to see if it was the same for diabetics, seeing that they are going to be part of my new family for a long time.
  • Thank you for thinking of diabetics. :D 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• chicken is a good option and lots of veggies avoid startches but some diabetics will splurge and have a small amount of starches my dads a type 2 and he knows what he can eat at weddings and what to avoid. 

are you doing a cake for desert maybe you could get a small sugar free cake most grocery stores have a section 
  • I am a type 2 diabetic and so is my father. But I'm not doing anything special to my menu ie. low carb/no sugar. However I am going to have the caterer provide me with the carb counts per serving at the tasting so that I can count my meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards