Snarky Brides

Use a thesaurus please!

Just ranting here. I'm getting very tired of the word, 'rude' on these wedding boards. I remember one discussion's posts had the word 'rude' in every response! Can we please expand our vocabulary and think of other synonyms? I took the liberty of going to thesaurus.com and here are some other alternatives: impolite, bad-mannered, boorish, inconsiderate, curt, graceless, and insulting. I understand we go right to a very common word but when every member uses it, it gets tiresome and boring. Okay I'm done ranting now. Feels good to get that off my chest ;) 

Re: Use a thesaurus please!

• Just ranting here. I'm getting very tired of the word, 'rude' on these wedding boards. I remember one discussion's posts had the word 'rude' in every response! Maybe that's because what was being discussed was rude/impolite/bad-mannered/boorish/inconsiderate/curt/graceless/insulting? Can we please expand our vocabulary and think of other synonyms? You can if you want, but if other people want to use "rude" I wouldn't let it get to you... I took the liberty of going to thesaurus.com and here are some other alternatives: impolite, bad-mannered, boorish, inconsiderate, curt, graceless, and insulting. I understand we go right to a very common word but when every member uses it, it gets tiresome and boring. Okay I'm done ranting now. Feels good to get that off my chest ;) 
    Guilty as charged. 
    *********************************************************************************

You beat me to it, so...........
  • I know synonyms for "rude," I just happen to like the word "rude" more than them. Much like the word "fuck." I don't have to use it, I just like to. Feel free to use other words yourself, but it seems silly to get upset at other people for using a word.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Take your pick...

image But, in all honesty, why do you feel that we need to use words other then rude?  Everyone knows what rude means and it gets the point across better then some of the other words that mean the same thing.

• Take your pick...

image But, in all honesty, why do you feel that we need to use words other then rude?  Everyone knows what rude means and it gets the point across better then some of the other words that mean the same thing.
    I am going to train myself to use crabbed and savage in lieu of the word rude. Thanks, Maggie. 
  • ElcaB said:
    Take your pick...

I am going to train myself to use crabbed and savage in lieu of the word rude. Thanks, Maggie. 
    I am going to claim "vulgar" as my new replacement for "rude."
    Good one! I think I'll go with loutish and crabbed
    *********************************************************************************

• I claim "uncouth."
  • Is it supposed to say "Bad-mannered" or is "ban-mannered" now a thing?
  • Gruff! I love that word. 

• May I claim uncivilized?
  • This thread is cheeky.

Anniversary

• I can't help but love a cheeky sense of humor. You girls put a smile to my face!! 
  • @retro_belle.....You are such an impertinent trollop!  Your inconsiderate rant implying that we are so uneducated as to be unable to form sentences with expansive vocabulary is both discourteous and impolite.  (This could have been fun during the "infamous" bully threads...I prefer thesaurus fun to definitions!)
  • Reading this thread just made this Thursday delightful. 
    LOL!  It was supposed to be bad-mannered...that was a typo on my part, oops!

But i do like ban-mannered if you want to use it when an inappropriate ban has been made :)

• I claim "uncouth."

nawww :( 
    LOL!  It was supposed to be bad-mannered...that was a typo on my part, oops!

But i do like ban-mannered if you want to use it when an inappropriate ban has been made :)
    I thought the misspelling was oddly appropriate... :)
  • Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!image

Hopefully there are some Monty Python fans here.
    I fart in your general direction!

• itzMS said:

You honestly think some of the posters here would know what "Boorish" or "Curt" mean?

Wishful thinking.

Seriously.  At least (almost) everyone knows what "rude" means.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would say I want to claim "Scurrilous" as my replacement word, but I have a feeling I would keep forgetting how to spell it properly...

Can I also say that I'd really like to start seeing people find a synonym for "mean" on these boards? I'm tired of reading over and over again about how "mean" we all are. I would much rather try to argue with someone who calls me "malicious" or "callous" because at least it shows that they have the intellect level that they might actually be swayed by reason. Or is saying this too "mean"?
  • allispain said:
    I would say I want to claim "Scurrilous" as my replacement word, but I have a feeling I would keep forgetting how to spell it properly...

Can I also say that I'd really like to start seeing people find a synonym for "mean" on these boards? I'm tired of reading over and over again about how "mean" we all are. I would much rather try to argue with someone who calls me "malicious" or "callous" because at least it shows that they have the intellect level that they might actually be swayed by reason. Or is saying this too "mean"?
    I also want to see a synonym for "attack". Do people seriously not understand what it means to attack someone? 

attack /əˈtak/
    to take aggressive action against (a place or enemy forces) with weapons or armed force, typically in a battle or war.

• allispain said:
    I would say I want to claim "Scurrilous" as my replacement word, but I have a feeling I would keep forgetting how to spell it properly...

I also want to see a synonym for "attack". Do people seriously not understand what it means to attack someone? 

attack /əˈtak/
    to take aggressive action against (a place or enemy forces) with weapons or armed force, typically in a battle or war.

Also, alternate words for bullying.

A few weeks ago, it seemed like EVERY new poster thought they were being bullied.

Christ on a bike. :-p

• I choose "fucked up" as my replacement for rude. "You're making your guest do a costume change? That's fucked up. "
    " you're having a cash bar? You're fucked up" yes I like it.
  • Is this better?

• WonderRed said:
    Is this better?

Oooh yes. Yes it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards