May 2014 Weddings

Haven't done anything!

My FI and I are planning on a May 25, 2014, wedding, and I haven't done anything! I'm feeling completely overwhelmed with everything. I have chosen my party, and my girls all want to go dress shopping. I don't want to even look at dresses until I have a venue.
What do I do? Where do I start?

Re: Haven't done anything!

• edited August 2013
    I hope that date is flexible.  Depending on your area a lot of places might be booked already.  I'd book the venue (and church too if you need it).  Then start with the rest of the vendors you need. (photographer, DJ, florist, etc)

And your dress!  If you plan on ordering something they can take 6-7 months to come in.

ETA-for spelling and the dress thing :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Definitely book your ceremony and reception venues. You can't really do anything else until you do that because you can't be sure that the places you want will have that date open.
  • You'd be surprised at how fast venues book up-our date is may 3rd 2014 and it's been booked for months.

Find your venue and set your date, then think of the dress. Honestly you can always buy one you like and have it altered, plus that will change depending on where/when you get married.

• We have a tentative venue, but no official date, a guest list, our officiant, his best man, my moh, our colors, a theme, and we each have a Pinterest board. I feel overwhelmed too, and no idea what to do next.
  • The 2 venues I like have told me they are still open on that date. We're going this weekend to look at both. I really hope one works out, otherwise I'm back to starting point 1. UGH!
    I have my bridal party. My girls all want to go dress shopping, but I don't want to look until I have my venue because, although I like the 2 we're going to look at, they have fairly different "feels" to them.
    Part of my venue problem is family. His family wants one location and my family wants another. We like both, but both come with logistical problems.
    Shouldn't this be exciting? I'm stressing all the time!
  • Well the one thing I've learned so far is to go with what you and your FI want. It will make you happier and less stressed out in the end. Unless of course, someone else is paying and then that's a sticky issue.
  • The 2 venues I like have told me they are still open on that date. We're going this weekend to look at both. I really hope one works out, otherwise I'm back to starting point 1. UGH!
    I have my bridal party. My girls all want to go dress shopping, but I don't want to look until I have my venue because, although I like the 2 we're going to look at, they have fairly different "feels" to them.
    Part of my venue problem is family. His family wants one location and my family wants another. We like both, but both come with logistical problems.
    Shouldn't this be exciting? I'm stressing all the time!
    I'll cross my fingers for you that one of your venue choices works for you.

You don't necessarily need your dress and venue to "match" unless they are drastically different (ie church or beach). Honestly, you don't have the luxury of waiting any longer to get a dress...so grab your girls and get a dress asap!

Regarding the venue...who cares what your family wants? Do what is best for you and your FI and the vision that you both have for your wedding. You can't please everyone. Figure out what will logistically work best for you and your guests.
    Anniversary
  • My FI and I are largely paying for the wedding ourselves, however, my grandmother recently sent us a very generous gift. She hasn't attempted at any input, and sadly, I doubt she'll even be able to make the trip from Ohio to Florida for the wedding.
    When we first got engaged we talked about a beach wedding. My FI's mom is upset and says the beach location is too far. It's only a 35 minute drive. So, we found another location that's more inland, but still water front. Now, my family is upset and says they don't know how they would get there because they want to stay at the beach and refuse to rent a car to drive themselves.
  • I was totally in your spot like last month and my wedding is May 16, 2014, seriously so don't worry! Definitely most important thing you need to get done is book your venue ASAP! Then dress shopping after that...then most important things are vendors (florist, photographer, videographer, dj/band) once you've got these main things out of the way everything else will just be fun and exciting... but these things all book up far in advance... I had to book my 3rd choice DJ because my first and second pick were already taken :/ last month I just got it in my head that I was going to get shit done! so one day on my day off work I just spent an entire afternoon researching vendor reviews and making interview appointments... and now all the important stuff is taken care of and we get to look forward to cake tastings and décor...all the fun stuff! Good luck! I know it is stressful but you are not alone :)
  • I kind of shut down once I started looking for venues...I was looking 12 months ahead of the date that I wanted, but everything was booked already. I wanted to get married locally in a specific city and was fairly flexible on my date (after the initial disappointment of not getting May 3rd) but still had a lot of trouble even finding a place that had a Saturday anytime in the spring available. Felt like I should have been planning 14-16 months in advance! I don't want to be engaged for more than a year! :-)

I ultimately decided to get married at my favorite venue on a Friday evening, May 2nd...
  • I'm feeling overwhelmed too! We've got the venue booked but I JUST did that. Like this week. Our wedding is on the 24th. I have the theme and colors and venue and officiant. I haven't even chosen the whole wedding party yet... I have looked at dresses and need to start shopping but I have no time. I'm doing school and work full time.
  • You might want to work on your guest list too!  Finding a venue is important obviously, but you need to know around how many people you're looking to host before you decide on a venue, in case it's not large enough!  Just a thought!
  • I wouldn't worry. Mostly because I just got engaged and we are very set on May so if you can't pull it off then I don't know if I can!
    But seriously, just make an action plan and start prioritizing things. We know we'll have to be flexible, but we picked out 1 or two things we are NOT budging on and are just going to let everything else fall into place.
  • We now have our venue, photographer, and my dress! Still lots to do, but it feels like it's starting to fall into place!
  • ksanc009ksanc009 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2013
    kefryar, I'm also May 3rd! Best wishes =)
  • I got engaged in December and other than looking online, didn't start any planning until around July.   Within a couple weeks I was able to book venue, DJ, photgrapher and buy a dress.  Just focus on 1 thing at a time, or else it becomes way too overwhelming.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards