Attire & Accessories Forum

I need some reassurance in my Justin Alexander 8558

So after having "the moment" with the dress that I put a down payment on, I started thinking about a different dress that was second runner up. Part of the issue, I think comes from the fact that the boots that I planned on wearing do not match this dress, but they did the other dress. Also, the dress that I choose is over budget (which my MIL is paying the difference). What do you think? I REALLY want to wear boots with the dress and have to buy another pair (oh no! lol). Its a rustic country wedding as my fiance and I met at a country bar. Line dancing and hanging out there has been an integral part of our relationship so it seems only right that all of us will wear the boots (I'm not a heel girl anyways!).

On a side note, what would you do in terms of a veil, head piece, or something else? I plan on having my hair pulled back. Maybe low loose bun or a half up/half down style. Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I need some reassurance in my Justin Alexander 8558

• You look wonderful in this dress. I think a nice simple veil pinned in the back of your head would look great, just make sure it's done in a way that you can take it out have fun dancing later on.
  • Boots don't match any dress.  I'm sorry to burst your bubble there. But, unless you are wearing a square dancing dress, boots aren't going to "go" anyway.  So, if you love the dress you have on, then I wouldn't worry about second guessing because of your shoe choice.
  • Thanks Erikan! I think the veil would hat be simple so asnot to compete with the lace.

QueerFemme, thank you for your honest opinion. I value your opinion, although I do not agree with you that boots do not go with wedding dresses unless they are a square dancing dress. It is nice to know that people will not just tell you what you want to hear on these boards! I would just ask that if you feel this way that you give a suggestion instead so that I can get feedback to make a decision.

Thanks again to both of you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That dress is beautiful! I think you get the dress you feel most beautiful in. I agree with QF, shoes are secondary...:)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you look happy and stunning in that dress. I love the underlay/overlay color combo you picked and the bling on the belt with the lace is gorgeous! 

I agree with @QueerFemme that boots don't match the formality of any wedding dress. So because you'll be mixing styles and formality anyway, I don't think it really matters what boots you wear with it. Footwear is personally and if you like them, go ahead and wear them. But I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't go looking for a pair of boots to match since the whole point is that they aren't going to. Embrace it if that's what you want. KWIM?

Also, FWIW - I picked green shoes that I was In. Love. With. Probably 2-3 people (out of 170) noticed. In a dress that stunning, people probably won't be focusing on your shoes anyway. Let alone if they "match."
    *********************************************************************************

• I like your dress, what a pretty lace! I would go with a headpiece that will match your sash and give a little extra blink blink since there isn't much beadings other than the sash. Veil - well you can go with birdcage or tradition, and I think you will look beautiful either way!

As for boot, what is your original boots look like? Maybe you can do a little DIY to make it suitable for the dress. Shoes is more for you than for show since most of the people won't see it anyways (personal opinion and I am sorry if I am wrong)
  • The dress is nice and looks lovely on you.  If you had "the moment" then it is "the one".  As for accessories, I think you could use a hair comb/piece that has some bling on it.  If you would like a veil, I think either a birdcage veil or a simple veil would go well with the dress.
  • Thanks Erikan! I think the veil would hat be simple so asnot to compete with the lace.

QueerFemme, thank you for your honest opinion. I value your opinion, although I do not agree with you that boots do not go with wedding dresses unless they are a square dancing dress. It is nice to know that people will not just tell you what you want to hear on these boards! I would just ask that if you feel this way that you give a suggestion instead so that I can get feedback to make a decision.

@QueerFemme did give you a suggestion. She said that if you love the dress then you shouldn't second guess your dress because of your shoe choice. She is basically saying that your shoes shouldn't be a factor in your dress selection. How is that not helpful?

• rainyelel said:
    I like your dress, what a pretty lace! I would go with a headpiece that will match your sash and give a little extra blink blink since there isn't much beadings other than the sash. Veil - well you can go with birdcage or tradition, and I think you will look beautiful either way!

As for boot, what is your original boots look like? Maybe you can do a little DIY to make it suitable for the dress. Shoes is more for you than for show since most of the people won't see it anyways (personal opinion and I am sorry if I am wrong)
    I fully agree with this.

• Thanks a lot guys! I was thinking bird cage or a head piece. Something simple so as not to over power the lace.

@ southernbelle0915 - Green shoes?! I love it! I think shoes should be a personal since not everyone sees them. I love when brides and grooms mix it up that way

@rainyelel - They are a sable brown (greyish brown) with turquise inlays. I think it is the turquise inlays that throw it off with the oyster belt and underlay of the lace. Aside from coloring in the inlay of the boots, I do not think there is much DIY that I could do and not mess up my boots.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your dress is beautiful.  I agree with some of the other posts - your shoes/boots will not be seen until you lift up your dress to dance anyway.  Wear the boots you like most and want to wear!  People who know you and your personality will love your choice. People who don't, likely won't be at your wedding, so who cares! : )

My two cents on hair - I would wear your hair all down or half up/half down with maybe a hair ornament with a flower or bit of veil or tulle, not a big long veil. I think it would look a bit more right for a country/dancing/boots wearing girl. I think a bun or updo is more formal vibe.

Congrats.

• @maggie0829 - you are right! Thanks for pointing that out. I think I got caught up on the negative comment and nothing as far as a suggestion based strictly off of the negtive (if not boots, then what?).

@oceansurf70 - Half up/pull back on the sides is definately a top pick for me. I can see how a bun may be to formal. I had not even thought about that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the dress is beautiful. You don't need country boots to have a nod to country and how you met. The lace and shape of the dress do that all on their own.

Cowboy/girl boots are farm/work attire.  They are not formal attire. Your dress is probably the most formal piece of clothing you will ever wear.  So, the fact is, they don't match.  Can you still wear them, sure.  But, they don't "go".  Just like sneakers and a tuxedo don't "go", but people still do it. 

So, like other folks said, wear them if you want to, but don't worry about factoring them into your dress decision. They aren't going to "match" any wedding dress you buy, because they are informal and a dress is formal.  Totally different levels of attire. 

And, yes, you are right. People around here don't sugar coat answers. (well, they do much more now than they used to).  You are going to get honest, direct opinions when you ask a question. But, look at it this way.  Most honest posters here, would rather you get your feelings hurt by a bunch of internet strangers than look ridiculous of risk offending your guests.  (I'm not referring to your shoe selection when I say offending your guests. Slide on over to the etiquette board for ways that people routinely offend their guests). 

Good luck with your planning!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards