October 2013 Weddings

Additional Guests?

-Sigh- Is anyone else having last minute 'additional guest' issues? I just had to have a difficult conversation with a friend regarding four additional people that he included on his RSVP. It's likely that he will not be attending now, but we shall see.

It makes me sad that we cannot simply invite everyone that we would if our budget was unlimited, but our budget is what it is and our guest list is at approximately 50 for a reason.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

75 [Invited] 
43image [Said yes!] 
16image [Are missing out!]
 16image [Can't find the mailbox] 
RSVP Date October 01

Re: Additional Guests?

• Yup. FI's cousins (2) added their children. We did not invite second cousins or friend's kids.

• So glad that it's not just me! FI's friend (who was single when invited) wrote in his on again/off again drama monger of a (now?) girlfriend, along with her 3 kids by 3 different men. Arg!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

75 [Invited] 
    43image [Said yes!] 
    RSVP Date October 01
  • We actually didn't have anyone add more guests, but I can totally understand that it would be super annoying. Inviting 4 additional guests is pretty crazy though - I can't imagine how people think this is ok!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Honestly, I had multiple guests try to include a 'plus one,' despite the invitation being addressed only to them. I specifically invited the significant others of guest's in relationships, but our budget did not allow for all of our single guests to have a 'plus one.' It has led to a few awkward conversations, but so far everyone has been really understanding and hasn't made it into an issue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

75 [Invited] 
    43image [Said yes!] 
    RSVP Date October 01
  • I didn't have anyone try to add on, but four additional guests? I can understand a plus one add on, but come on! 
  • One of FI's co-workers added a plus-one "not sure who, but I'll bring someone!" 
    His BM added a guest, but we let that slide because he's WP.

And yesterday, FI's gma informed us that her SIL had asked to bring a friend, and she had told SIL she could, without asking us, that she had told SIL she could bring that friend, because "You've had a lot of declines, so I know there's space. And I knew if she asked you, you would say no, but now you can't say no, because it will embarrass me if you make me take it back."

So that was a fun conversation. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • My friend added his 3 kids. We are only having 15 people (including us) and we are having the reception at my friend's vacation house. It was a hard conversation to have, but he was cool with it. I felt really bad though.
  • Yes, I've had to call my rental company and add extra chairs and table ware because family members who haven't spoken to me in years just HAVE to be at the wedding. I have an Aunt who NEEDS to bring a guy she just started dating. It's a bit annoying but I've officially closed the guest list and any other requests will be met with a resounding "NO". My 50 person wedding is now at 57. Not budging from there, lol.
  • I had a friends parents who almost didn't make this list ad 12 people.  Her 3 other kids, their husbands, and kids. She sent me a note saying shes glad I didn't waste the postage on sending them invites. 
  • leah1012 said:
    I had a friends parents who almost didn't make this list ad 12 people.  Her 3 other kids, their husbands, and kids. She sent me a note saying shes glad I didn't waste the postage on sending them invites. 
    This is just wrong.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Just plain rude!! Why do people think they get to make up their own rules for your wedding? I will never understand it. I think you did the right thing by letting them know the four they listed on the RSVP could not be accommodated.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Yeah I had a BM RSVP for 4 additional.  The thing about it is two of the 4 don't really 'care' for me and had asked at previous functions why we were always hanging around. I called the BM and told her no - they can't come. Plan and simple.  With 217 guests, this seating chart is hard enough as is. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards