March 2014 Weddings

To dress shop or not to dress shop...that is the question....

I haven't gone dress shopping for myself as I have had my dress since 2 weeks after we got engaged.  I asked my mom if I could wear her gown (with modifications of course) and she was thrilled.  Well, she just had a BIG move and my dress is back in it's box in her closet at the new house.  I told her I would give her a couple of weeks to settle in and come October 15th, I will be banging her door down to start it.  She agreed with me and said it shouldn't take us too long to figure out what we want to do (I have a picture in my mind).  

In the back of my head, I'm worried since my mom is the queen of doing things last minute.  When she and I designed my senior prom dress, the night before she was sewing it together and the afternoon of, she was finishing it up....even though we had started the dress in APRIL (prom was late May).  That kind of ticked me off, but I was a teenager and that was well over 14 years ago.  With this nagging feeling in the back of my head, I'm wondering if maybe I should go and check out dresses, (similar to my mom's gown and what I want it to look like) so just in case she doesn't start I can purchase my gown.  My sister-in-law (who is also a bridesmaid) and my Sister (who is my MOH) has said that I should go and try some on to "experience" dress shopping.  I feel that if I do, that in some way I'll be letting my mom down.  I'm really not sure what to do.  I don't want to be on my mom's case about the dress, but I really don't want to be stressing over whether or not we'll have it done in time.  I don't want it to be January 1st and not have anything to wear.....Scary. 

What should I do? HELP!!!! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Michelle & Ronald
01/03/81
06/18/81
08/25/10
05/07/13
03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
image 40 are party poopers
image 0 awaiting reply
Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.

Re: To dress shop or not to dress shop...that is the question....

• Do what you want. Your mom will understand. Maybe she won't understand at first, but once she sees you in a wedding dress, she will "get it."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards