Attire & Accessories Forum

Handkerchief

My aunt made me a beautiful handkerchief made from the silk of the train of my grandma's dress and the lace from my great-grandma's veil (yay I have something old now!). I think I might wrap it around the handle of my bouquet (as it's too fragile to use as an actual handkerchief, and too pretty too!). I'm just wondering how to secure it without poking holes in the silk? The lace is the trim around the outside but it's very fragile so I'm not sure that I want to secure it with that.

Or does anyone else have any other uses for handkerchiefs so that I could still keep it on me during the ceremony?

Re: Handkerchief

• This might sound weird, but what about double side tape to secure the handkerchief from the inside? Since it is only for the wedding, so it won't damage the handkerchief, only thing I would worry is water mark. 

hmm I can't think of any use for handkerchiefs unless you want to give it to your hubby to use it as square pocket. I think giving a handkerchief to someone you care has special meaning behind it, right?
  • Thanks for the suggestion! And not sure about the meaning behind a handkerchief - I just know it has meaning to me because of what it's made out of :)

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    This is not to be snarky or funny but a real idea.  What about  putting it down into your chest area? You could even place it into the left portion of the top of your dress so that it is over your heart.  This way you won't have to worry about it falling off your dress or damaging it in anyway.  Just fold it up in a nice square and place it inside the chest portion of your dress.

I would be afraid to wrap it around the bouquet if it is as fragile as you said it is.

Edit:  Just make sure to have your photog take a nice picture of it prior to putting it in your dress.

• I'm with @Maggie0829 - if it's super fragile, I wouldn't put it on your bouquet in case it could get ruined. However, if you can't think of anything else and the bouquet is the only option, could you wrap it around the base of the bouquet and lace ribbon tightly over the top of it?

*********************************************************************************

• This is not to be snarky or funny but a real idea.  What about  putting it down into your chest area? You could even place it into the left portion of the top of your dress so that it is over your heart.  This way you won't have to worry about it falling off your dress or damaging it in anyway.  Just fold it up in a nice square and place it inside the chest portion of your dress.

I would be afraid to wrap it around the bouquet if it is as fragile as you said it is.

Edit:  Just make sure to have your photog take a nice picture of it prior to putting it in your dress.

Hmmm not sure if that would work. I guess it might work if I put it on the side with the strap (my dress is one-shoulder), as the other side of the dress I will be using body tape to hold it against my chest. I think I'd still be afraid of it falling out somehow (I'm sure there'd be no chance of that but I think I'd still worry). I'll have to think about that one. Thanks
  • I'm with @Maggie0829 - if it's super fragile, I wouldn't put it on your bouquet in case it could get ruined. However, if you can't think of anything else and the bouquet is the only option, could you wrap it around the base of the bouquet and lace ribbon tightly over the top of it?

Oooo I like this idea! I wonder if I should ask my florist what she thinks and if she could maybe help with it? Or should I just try to do it myself? I'm not sure it would come out the way I wanted it to if I tried it myself! :S

Thanks!

• @Majelin86 - I would ask your florist for some help.  It may be a good idea to first wrap your bouquet in regular ribbon and then wrap your handkerchief around that (you won't be able to see the ribbon underneath) and then tie it up with the thin ribbon. By first wrapping your bouquet in regular ribbon, it will help protect your handkerchief from any nubs on the stems or the stems possibly snagging the handkerchief.

• @Majelin86 - I would ask your florist for some help.  It may be a good idea to first wrap your bouquet in regular ribbon and then wrap your handkerchief around that (you won't be able to see the ribbon underneath) and then tie it up with the thin ribbon. By first wrapping your bouquet in regular ribbon, it will help protect your handkerchief from any nubs on the stems or the stems possibly snagging the handkerchief.
    This. Also, by wrapping and pinning it underneath the handkerchief and then just wrapping the handkerchief around it, the bouquet will stay in tact and it won't be a big deal to take the handkerchief off if you toss your bouquet or whatever.
    *********************************************************************************

• Why not just carry it?  Would there be a way to affix a wrist loop to it so that if you need your hands free, you could still have ease of access?  Or just carry it loose with your bouquet and pass it, and your bouquet to your MOH when the time comes?

Or, perhaps if you can gently tack a loop to it, use that to attach it to your bouquet?  I'm doing a variation on that; I'm carrying the sixpence my mother had in her shoe when she married my dad hanging in an organza bag from my bouquet (and my own sixpence from the year of FI's birth taped down to my shoe).

I think it's a super sweet and sentimental item to have with you on your wedding day.  :)
  • A couple of ideas:

If your ring bearer is carrying a box instead of a cushion, you could line the inside of the box with a white fabric lining the inside and the handkerchief over top of that.

OR you could, depending on its size, fold it from corner to corner diagonally into a long strip that you could have tied into a bow on your wrist or ankle.

I like the idea of the ribbon securing it in place around the bouquet, but maybe to protect the handkerchief, you could put a white fabric underneath it to rest against the stems. This way, it really only has contact with your hands.
  • Majelin86Majelin86 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    We ended up just wrapping it around the bouquet and then tucked it in and it stayed put for the whole ceremony :) (The bouquet was wrapped with ribbon already, so after the ceremony I just took the handkerchief off to keep it safe).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards