Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Copyright released but retained?

This is actually for my engagement photos...
We just received them today and she gave me a Copyright Release form, and through reading the form I get more and more confused.  This is what it says:

"Photographer grants permission to customer named below to reproduce the copyrighted photos specified here.  The photos can be reproduced in the original only.
The copyright is being released on all photos taken for customer on the specified photo shoot date.
The copyright is being released all photos contained on this CD.

Photographer retains all copyrights on all photos contained on this CD.  The purpose and intent of this release form is to allow the individual presenting this form to reproduce these images as they please."

/Can someone please translate this to english for me? I've looked up copyright releases vs print releases and I think she intended this to be a print release rather than a copyright.  Can she say the copyright is being released for all photos then say she retains all copyrights on all photos? Someone please help me out!

Re: Copyright released but retained?

• I am inclined to agree with you. Sounds like she got her template mixed up and didn't have a lawyer look it over.
    Either way I'm sure your good to print them as you please.
    Better not invite her over if you crop one of the photos and hang it on the wall since she says "photos can be reproduced in the original only."  :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Can you just call your photographer and ask what it means?  Honestly, it sounds like something you should've known about BEFORE you signed a contract and had any photos taken.
  • @shutterdoggy Shouldn't it say the photog is releasing the right to print them and not the copyright then? the verbiage is conflicting.

• @shutterdoggy & photokitty -- this is cracking me up FWIW ;-p 
    Sorry, had to add that!

• JoanE2012 said:
    Can you just call your photographer and ask what it means?  Honestly, it sounds like something you should've known about BEFORE you signed a contract and had any photos taken.
    I actually never signed a contract, we talked about it via facebook about a month in advance and she told me she would do all the editing, we talked about turn around time, and about the print release, so when I got this piece of paper with my CD I was conflicted.  I basically met her for the shoot and paid her upon receiving my CD.  So I think she is much more amateur than I anticipated/realized because I am so disappointed in my photos! I actually waited 5 weeks (which was the max turn around time) and had to contact HER, and I could tell she was in a rush to finish whatever she started, because the rest of the photos were 25 color 25 black and white! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards