Not Engaged Yet

AW Your Furbaby

13»

Re: AW Your Furbaby

• @minskat30, I love Newfs and Great Pyrenees! :) They are absolutely gorgeous and look SO snuggly. The only thing that would give me pause would be all the fur, but I guess that would be most breeds. Most likely we will end up getting a nice mixed breed from a shelter, so pinning down a breed probably isn't a necessity for us - but there are so many interesting kinds of dogs out there.
  • Amapola14 said:
    @PrettyGirlLost - OMG I love you cat! He is adorable.

I don't have any furbabies (my apartment doesn't allow pets) but when BF and I get married we are planning on getting a puppy. I look through the puppies up for adoption at various rescues all the time. Honestly I'm more BSC about getting a dog than getting married lol
    This is so true for me. All of these photos of everyone's ADORABLE fur children are not helping. No money + no time = no snuggle buddies for Amapola for a while. :(

When I can get a dog, I want it to be a HUGE one, like a mastiff or a St. Bernard. BF doesn't love the drool, though, so we may go a little smaller. We'll see what we come up with. :)
    BF and I are thinking a medium sized dog - maybe some sort of lab mix. I found a lab-blue tick hound mix that was pretty much the cutest thing ever! I also love lab-great dane mixes they are adorable!

I also really want a basset hound though. So if we get to the point where we can have two dogs that's what I'll get to be my dog.

• @bethsmiles, I loooooove basset hounds too. They seem like they would be so fun to name - I think a lot of literary names would be good for them.
  • @bethsmiles I don't know how big Cinders is going to be yet....but so far her size seems to be great for a medium-large type dog. I think she'll max out around 50 or 55 lbs (sort of like what a large male basset hound would be but taller). Sooo the lab/border collie mix is great for size and personality/behavior.

@Arnapola14I have a dog and I'm STILL more BSC about her than I am about getting married. Getting a dog doesn't fix the furbaby BSC. :P I still ooo and aww and gush over every cute little pup I see.

• Finally my computer is cooperating!

Simon is my fatty!  He has to be everywhere I am, which means a large portion of the time my 20lb fatso is sitting in my lap.

He answers to Simon, but I also like to call him Fatty McGee.

photo bridalparty.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Aww fat cats! BF's cat is a fat orange tabby - gotta weigh 18 lbs and he's just plain BIG. We put him on a diet again ... his name is Kade.
  • @lmhollister, haha, I feel that. If I get a dog one day, the next week I'll want to get another dog so it has a friend. Repeat until we have a complete litter.
  • @suzie211 - I love fat cats.  I had a fat cat and her belly nearly hit the floor when she was standing and swayed from side to side when she (rarely) ran.  She lived for 14+ years too.  :) 
  • minskat30 said:
    @suzie211 - I love fat cats.  I had a fat cat and her belly nearly hit the floor when she was standing and swayed from side to side when she (rarely) ran.  She lived for 14+ years too.  :) 
    Simon is 12 and has even been on prescription diet food before and still gained a lb.  So I've put him back on his old food and we have an auto feeder to try and help the overeating.  He has the same belly as your cat did.  It sways back and forth when he walks and is hilarious.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • @Imhollister - does your lab/border collie like to run a lot? I had border collie mix growing up and even with our pretty big yard we felt like we didn't have enough space for him because he wanted to run and run and run. We always thought that was the border collie in him.

• @bethsmiles @Amapola14 basset hounds are adorable! I use to foster puppies for an organization, and one of the visitors I had was a 1 year old dog. Her name was Callie, she was a basset hound pit bull mix. She was such a cool looking dog! She was a medium dog (maybe 40 lbs), and had a pit bull face with the beautiful brindle color! And then she was so long! and her legs were so short! The front ones turned out when she sat, just like a basset hounds! She had such a long tail!

• @bethsmiles Oh yes she loves to run! There's a little Maltese next door to us and she'll run up and down the fence line with him. She gets tired of that pretty quickly and will just start doing loops around the yard and circle back to him to play. She takes a break every once in awhile to go and dive into our pond to cool off and splash around(definitely the lab in her). I've started taking her on run/walks so that she doesn't start expressing her energy by being destructive. So far we haven't had any problems but she's still young so who can say.  Luckily we have a pretty big back yard...it probably goes back at least 100 feet so she's got lots of room.

• I'm worried about Ellie. She has a big welt on her leg where she hit the TV stand falling on Sunday night, but she still puts weight on it and walks around normally. She's probably got one whopper of a bruise, and she's been quieter and just resting to let it heal. The vet said to keep an eye on her, but she's young and a cat and will probably bounce back just fine. Can someone reassure me, though, too? I feel like such a bad cat mom because I know my baby's in pain.
  • @keptinstitches: Usually when an animal gets injured they remove themselves to rest and heal themselves, so Ellie is exhibiting a normal animal response to pain. You also did nothing wrong, its not like you could have predicted that Ellie was going to jump and hit the TV stand and at least you didn't push her into the stand yourself. You aren't a bad cat mom, kitties are silly, and they do silly things sometimes. It sucks to see them in pain, but as you said she's young and she will bounce back. Have you taken her to the vet or did you just call them?
  • @bride2b71614, called them, but they're not worried about a break since she walks normally 95+% of the time and does jump a little. They said to keep watching her for signs that she favors the leg or seems to be in more pain, and I'm really tuned-in to my little girl so I'm confident I'll pick that up. She jumped into my yarn last night, which was pulled taut, and it must have bumped her bruise because she did favor for less than a minute after that, but otherwise I haven't seen anything I would consider abnormal. I did tell them that and they weren't concerned.
  • She has a good vet - I know that she really cares about Ellie and understands how important she is to me. I have to keep reminding myself of that, too.
  • @KeptinStitches - I'm sorry to hear about your kitty.  I'm sure everything will be fine, she is just trying to heal so she may be "off" for a few days.  I know how you feel.  Our giant beast of a dog will sometimes wipe out at the dog park and then limp around for a while...every single time he does it I freak out, heart racing and get so worried.  Within an hour or two he is usually fine but it takes a day or so for him to be back to his crazy self.
  • @KeptinStitches, I now understand. I am glad that you are watching your furbaby like a hawk. She's really lucky to have you as an owner. Even though its super sucky watching her limp, just know that she's getting stronger each time she takes a step, and try to give her lots of affection and snuggles (unless she isn't much of a cuddler).
  • Thanks, @minskat30 and @bride2b71614. I feel better. It was just an accident and I need to watch her. I will be sure to snuggle her! She's been spending a lot more time with me; I got her at such a young age I really think she sees me as "mom" and all I want to do is kiss it and make it better.
  • @leia1979, what condo would you get your kitties?
    Well, bummer. I think they stopped making the model I wanted, so I guess I'd get this one:

It's from a website called newcatcondos.com, and I bought a different model from them for my parents. It was a little expensive, but the construction is so much better than the ones in the pet stores. They come in five different colors to coordinate with your furniture. I got my parents a dark green one that goes well with their green couch.
  • Wow, those look like they're really good construction. Maybe I should save up and get Ellie one when she's all better.
  • minskat30 said:
    @amapola14 - If you go with a big beast, but not as big as a Mastiff, I highly recommend Newfies (though you still have the drool issue there) or Bernese Mountain Dogs.  The latter doesn't drool that much and they are highly trainable.  I would recommend a Great Pyrenees (like H and I have) but they are stubborn as all get out, very independent and training them is like training a giant cat.  :)
    I love Newfies!  I just saw one at the vet's office today, I wish I could just take him home.  They're like big ol' teddy bears.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2013
    They really are. We got this one to replace a 20-yr old cat condo from Kmart that I'd already reupholstered 10 years ago. Penny was destroying the old one (ripping the cardboard underneath). What I really like about the new one is it's larger in diameter, so 14-lb Lucy fits comfortably. This one is so sturdy, I can sit on it. If you're willing to get a little crafty, they can be reupholstered in a day to get several more years of use out of it.

I hope Ellie feels better soon. I'm sure she'll bounce back once she heals.
  • Thank you to everyone who gave good vibes or thoughts to Ellie! The welt on her leg has almost completely gone away (the princess wished it better). Maybe this will slow her down on making crazy jumps, huh?
  • @KeptinStitches I dunno. We kind of hoped that our parakeet would stop trying to fly with clipped wings after he fell and cracked his beak. And THEN we hoped he would REALLY stop after he fell and broke a blood feather. Idiot bird never stopped trying; we had to put a blanket around his cage (he often was trying to fly back into it when he'd fall). Thank goodness my best friend is a vet.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @phira, my childhood cat (almost 17 years old now!) slowed down on jumps after missing a couple. I like to say I have a smart cat, but the evidence lies. I'm just hoping that pain will operate as a motivator to stop and perhaps look before she leaps.
    This is Freddie.  She's our corgi/Queensland heeler mix.  She's about 7 months old and a monster, but she's our monster.

Olive is our oldest furbaby.  She is our spoiled brat and we love her.  Olive is all about the teeth and claws when you pet her.  She loves bleach.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards