October 2013 Weddings

Government Shutdown

So...we are having our ceremony on Oct 12 on National Park Service land. Now we are scrambling to find somewhere else. Grr!

Re: Government Shutdown

• My understanding is, if there's no gates, and/or there aren't usually Rangers on patrol, it's still open to the public (this is coming up a LOT on the equine communities about where we -can- and where we -can't- ride).

Was your site one of the public access ones? 

Otherwise, I am SO sorry!!  :(  This shutdown is hell on so many.

Except those who are CREATING this mess.
  • ugh that is terrible! i hope they get this figured out soon. my sister lives and works in dc. and she is not getting paid but still has to go to work. also they told everyone that they couldnt take their vacation time, so my sister had to go to her boss and tell him that i am getting married and she is leaving no matter what cause shes not missing my wedding. what. a. mess.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is scheduled to be on the beach. Unfortunately, there are gates. :(

So sorry to hear about your sis @joelle

• @joellennitsche - I'm in the same boat of your sister.  Working but pay is questionable - still waiting to hear from our contracting officer (I'm a contractor).  FI is in the same boat. START RANT: Now I'm doing the work of four people getting ready for the FY start up - all before October 23 (last day of work for me) - which I may potentially not get paid for.  Whoopee (sarcasm).  I'm hoping this gets figured out sooner rather than later.

All because of a bunch of as****** on both sides who aren't listening to the "people" - they are listening to the people who are funding their next campaign. END RANT.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @redcoatfollower - sorry I didn't mean to threadjack. I'm sorry that is going on :(  I hope that the gates are open like what @shaylagirl said!  I'll cross my fingers for you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @joellennitsche - I'm in the same boat of your sister.  Working but pay is questionable - still waiting to hear from our contracting officer (I'm a contractor).  FI is in the same boat. START RANT: Now I'm doing the work of four people getting ready for the FY start up - all before October 23 (last day of work for me) - which I may potentially not get paid for.  Whoopee (sarcasm).  I'm hoping this gets figured out sooner rather than later.

All because of a bunch of as****** on both sides who aren't listening to the "people" - they are listening to the people who are funding their next campaign. END RANT.

i cant get out of the quoted area but... they all need to stop acting like a bunch of whiney 2 year old babies. and think about the little people for once and our country. my sister relys (sp?) on her paycheck and now doesnt know what she is gonna do.... i just feel bad for ALL involved in this mess.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • redcoatfollower oh no!! I am so sorry to hear that!! What a terrible side effect of this stupid government shutdown. I really hope you come up with something ASAP!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @redcoatfollower - Since I'm not sure where you are, have you thought of asking a state or local park authority?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lfk2013 said:
    @redcoatfollower - Since I'm not sure where you are, have you thought of asking a state or local park authority?
    I am in MA, and we were having the ceremony on a beach on Cape Cod. From what I have heard the road is closed to access it. We are trying to contact a town owned beach to see if we can get a permit there.
  • another shooting just happened right on capitol hill.. my sister is in lockdown as it was right outside of her building.. prayers for everyone. so scary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I heard about the (still according to the news reports 'alleged') shooting.

Really?  Is anyone surprised?  I wasn't.  People are frustrated and angry, and many people are victims of BOTH parties being stubborn assholes. 

My sister and her boyfriend are furloughed right now.  Both of my parents are retired federal employees, so they might have been facing it too.

EVERYONE is suffering.  Bleh.

I do so hope that you get this worked out @redcoatfollower.  Even if the road is gated...could you "gate jump" and walk?  Fingers crossed for you and everyone entangled in this mess!!!
  • Latest report is the police were the only ones shooting- at a car who ran into the barrier.  Potentially a woman, with a child in the car.  Awesome.

Side note- I understand we're an instant gratification society, but I wish our media would report things only after they are confirmed. 

• Woman tried to ram barricade at the White House with her car.

Baby in car, unharmed.

She fled the scene.

Secret Service Agents shot her.

One agent injured in the chase; non-life-threatening.

-- A member of the media
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • @redcoatfollower I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. As a bride-to-be, I an only imagine how nerve wracking it must be. Would you be willing to chat with me off thread? I'm also a journalist and I'm writing an article about weddings impacted by the shutdown. If you are amenable, you can reach me at priscowrites@gmail.com I promise to be respectful of your time. Again, so sorry.
  • I live in DC; work for the federal government (furloughed); getting married in a quasi-government building.  Of course I freaked out and called my venue immediately when I heard the news about the shutdown. They said it wouldn't have any impact on them.  I'm just hoping that the shutdown ends and I get paid again before we have to make final payments to all of our vendors...
  • @amaryann210 - I agree wholeheartedly!  I get so frustrated with the media because they are so quick to report before getting the whole story which in turn creates mass hysteria and in some cases - mistaken identification of suspects. But it is excusable now to just get the story out before everyone else - and then apologize later on and blame another source for it.

As for my fellow brides who are furloughed or like me working without a paycheck - we should be asking our congressmen to pay our final vendor bills.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So crazy so many people are being affected...not only weddings but paychecks, etc. I hope everything works out for everyone.
  • Another furloughed (and very stressed) bride right here.  I am so sorry for what you are all going thru and my heart is sad for those of you who have venues closed.  Keep positive.  
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • @redcoatfollower

hope you are able to still use your venue, and if not, are able to find another one! I live in Plymouth, and was wondering if you have contacted anyone about White Horse beach, or even Plymouth Beach? What about Marshfield or Cocasset???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @redcoatfollower

hope you are able to still use your venue, and if not, are able to find another one! I live in Plymouth, and was wondering if you have contacted anyone about White Horse beach, or even Plymouth Beach? What about Marshfield or Cocasset???
    Thanks! We were actually able to secure a spot at First Encounter Beach in Eastham, which was our second choice anyway. The woman there was really nice. I think it will work out ok!
  • WOW Good luck this weekend. I hope it all worked out for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards