Iowa-Des Moines

David's Bridal was horrendous

I chose to not get my wedding dress at David's Bridal because I had read they had horrible customer service.  However, I had multiple flower girls, some in other areas of the country, so I thought it would be more convenient to use them.  In addition, I wanted to make the wedding inexpensive for their parents.  How bad could they be for something like that.? The entire process was painful!

1st - Took the 7 flower girls that lived in my town to try on the dresses that had already been picked out.  All David's Bridal was concerned about were me picking out bridesmaids dresses.  I didn't have any bridesmaids!  The person who checked us in was absolutely rude. I'm 41 years old and she talked down to me like I was clueless.  Over and over I said I didn't have any bridesmaids so all I needed were the specified little girls dresses we scheduled to try on.  She was slapping papers, slamming drawers.  Really, this is the first impression you give someone when they walk in your door for their scheduled appt?  My fault, I should have left.  However, I had 7 flower girls who couldn't wait to try on the dress I had picked out.

2nd - I had a pair of shoes dyed.  They called to say they were ready. They never should have told me to pick them up.  They were scratched all over the heels, on the sides of one shoe, and multiple white specks on both shoes because the dye didn't take. They looked awful. When I brought it to their attention they didn't see a problem with them.  They then told me the dress would cover them up. Seriously? You call this an appropriate answer. I wasted 40 minutes going back and forth to pick up these shoes.  They agreed to order new shoes and they arrived in excellent condition.  A week later I go to pick up a dress. I pointed out a spot on it and I was told it was brand new so it can't have a spot on it. When I showed them, they said they couldn't see it. If there wasn't a spot, I wouldn't have said there was a spot. They attempted to take it out but ended up ordering a new dress. I am thankful for that.

3rd - Multiple 5 year old dresses came in - at different lengths, widths, etc.  They tried to tell me kids grow.  It wasn't the kids.  We measured them and they were completely different.  I was fortunate I had not ordered the shoes we were originally going to get because these were floorlength dresses and they would have been an inch to inch and a half off the ground if we did. I would have then been stuck with them.

4th - They told me to bring the dresses in the Monday before the wedding and they would press them free of charge.  I asked if I needed to make an appointment but I was told no.  I called that Monday to see what time I needed to bring them in and I was chastized for waiting until the Monday before my wedding to bring them in. When I explained that was what the person I talked to told me, I was told I was really putting them in a tough position.  I showed up with the dresses and they refused to press any of them because 2 of the 7 had been taken in.  No one told me if I had some altered that none would be pressed on my order!

By this point, I was absolutely livid.  I had multiple vendors tell me I was 'the easiest bride they had ever worked with' or I was 'so easy going for a bride.'  This was not an issue of an unreasonable bride.  This was an issue of a business not being customer oriented and frankly, not professional.

Re: David's Bridal was horrendous

• I am in the same boat! I LOVE my dress but I would never recommend David's Bridal to any other brides. Every time I go in, the receptionist looks at me like I'm an idiot. After she crosses off my name she doesn't direct me where to go or anything so I always stand around waiting for someone to help me. So ridiculous. Two out of three of the consultants I've had were horrible. In my most recent visit, she was supposed to meet my bridesmaids and me up front to order the dresses. After waiting 20 minutes, another girl checked me out because my consultant went to go help another bride. Needless to say, I was furious. This is only the beginning of my frustrations. Hang in there! :(
  • I had a positive experience with David's Bridal in Clive.  When trying on wedding gowns, my consultant was wonderful and really listened to what I was looking for.  There was no pressure to buy extras (jewelry, shoes, veil).  My dress came in much earlier than promised.  I just had my first dress fitting and the two ladies who helped with my appointment were great!  I also needed a different size of slip, and the even exchange was done effortlessly.  The only glitch was my bridesmaid's appointment; I thought I scheduled it online, but it apparently didn't go through.  However, my bridesmaid was able to try on dresses even without the appointment.  Her dress that she ordered also came in early. 

Sorry to hear that you had negative experiences!

• David's has horrible service!  My consultant was so slow going back and forth to get dresses and them brought me things I had specifically showed her I hated.  She told me she had a "late night" so she was feeling a little sluggish.  They are unhelpful and rude. 
  • @leah1012 - what location in DM?
  • @drmrs2014 - the Clive location
  • Sorry to hear about the bad experiences. I purchased my dress from there recently as well as dresses for my two daughters. We had to wait some time in between me trying on my dresses, but that was a plus for me. I had tried on dresses at another store and the saleswoman was only helping me. It got old her just standing there while my family and I discussed the dress, it also opened the door for lots of pressure to sell.
    DB in Clive was no pressure and while there was some wait time, I was quite happy with the experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards