Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Minnesota Arboretum Pictures Only!!

Hello! My fiance and I are counting down the days to our wedding next Friday. We are not getting married at the MN Landscape Arboretum but would like to take pictures out there with our wedding party and our immediate families. However - the Arboretum charges quite the price for pictures! Does anyone have experience with taking wedding pictures at the Arboretum? Can we easily sneak people in? Any tips on getting around what could potentially cost us $200 for pictures there??

Thanks!
Ashley & Jon

Re: Minnesota Arboretum Pictures Only!!

• We considered taking pics there but my photographer said they are pretty strict there about the permits. I thought it was only $75 though for admission for up to 15 people. Do you have more than that? What if you did WP pics there but immediate family pics at your ceremony location? Otherwise, did you look at the Rose Garden at Lake Harriet? That's where we ended up having them and only paid $40. Also, they are not nearly as strict there so we could have probably gotten away without paying at all but I wanted to cover my bases.
  • In HS a friend of mine was having grad pictures taken very casually there by her mom and they got kicked out.
  • We had our wedding there, and thus had no problem taking pictures since photography is allowed if it's your wedding site.

If it was me, I would plan on paying the fee or else getting pictures at another place that was in the budget. I would want my wedding day to be enjoyable, and not have to worry about the embarrassment of being caught taking pictures illegally. I'd also be surprised if you found a professional photographer who would be cool breaking the rules. They could be fined and banned from taking photos there again. Also, would your family and friends all be comfortable with the plan? I'd think especially parents would not be in favor.

I'd also expect that you wouldn't get past the front gate at the Arboretum without paying a fee. Certainly when you stop there and they see a wedding party, they will ask if you are there for pictures. If you say no and are then caught, you would be in real trouble.

If you do decide to take pictures there, know that it's a non-profit organization and your money will be going to a great cause.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards