Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bad ideas your FH has come up with?

Re: Bad ideas your FH has come up with?

• We are doing two signature cocktails. So I agreed we could each pick one. 
    Mine is Lemon drop, tasty, and goes with our yellow color theme.... 
    He chose.....Jager Bombs...... 
    Not happening. 

• A new bad idea! He wants to wear flip flops with his tux. 
  • Belle2188 said:
    clg1213 said:

Ice cream wedding cake

Stuck in the quote box...   
    I totally want an ice cream wedding cake now!  I suppose it would be side-eyed by some, but it would be a highlight for me to have ice cream cake instead of "regular" cake.

Belle2188 said:
    Oh there are so many, but just to name a few...

-Honeymoon fund
    -Ice cream wedding cake
    -9 Groomsmen in all white tuxes
    If ice cream cake is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
    I love ice cream cake too, but since wedding cakes generally sit out all night, I'm foreseeing a slight melting issue!
    Our wedding in during the summer in Houston, TX...I'm thinking an ice cream cake, but only if the little cake toppers can be in swim trunks and a bikini! LOL
  • Mine has been an usher at several friends weddings, but never a groomsman.  So, he wanted all his friends to be ushers and have no groomsmen.  
  • My Fiance and I are both Chefs and he doesn't trust Caterers so he recommended us cook everything for the wedding food. Uh, no!

He also has suggested going to the zoo between the time of the ceremony and reception.

Bridal party nerf gun fight after pictures

And finally, Roller blading down the Aisle.
  • Disposable Cameras... 

Got details on that?
  • caity8880 said:
    My lovely FH doesn't think we need to register anywhere, that way "everyone can just give us cash". I'm still working on explaining to him that it's rude to ask for money and that some people aren't comfortable gifting cash rather than a traditional gift.
    While you're right about that, registering for gifts isn't mandatory.
  • My dear sweet FH wants our reception to be BYOB.
  • Centerpieces. My FI wanted Facehugger Centerpieces - that moved. You know that thing from the movies Alien and Prometheus? They latch onto your face, shove something down your throat and impregnate you with Alien spawn. Not exactly the warm fuzzy romantic feeling I was after lol. Finally won the argument (He was serious, and he still mentions it) by pointing out that a good portion of our guests are elderly and they might not handle it well.... 
    Needless to say, I'm handling the wedding planning with my girls :D 
  • TravelGirl14TravelGirl14 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2013
    Lol at this.  Maybe we can do this with the swords.  Given the spectacle that is already emerging with our wedding, I may just make people wear go pro cameras and turn it into a movie.
    We are doing two signature cocktails. So I agreed we could each pick one. 
    Mine is Lemon drop, tasty, and goes with our yellow color theme.... 
    He chose.....Jager Bombs...... 
    Not happening. 

• BaugherrBaugherr member
    First Comment
    edited October 2013
    My lovely FH wanted mariachi outfits for the groomsmen. Neither of us are Hispanic. He thought the bridesmaids would look good in them too.
  • BaugherrBaugherr member
    First Comment
    edited October 2013
    And just to drive home the point he then sent me pictures....because how could I say no after seeing the pictures! Bless his heart!image
  • Ok, I'm cry laughing at the mariachi outfits.
  • My fiance and both agreed on a "nice outdoor wedding thats not too over-the-top"...apparently he and i had different definitions. He told people we were getting married in a park and that our reception meal would consist of spaghetti on paper plates.
  • I don't see what's wrong with most of these...
  • My FH wants to put curlers in his beard the night before. I'm still working on convincing him that ringlets on his face is a bad idea.
  • mimiphin said:

Blue tux.... ala Dumb and Dumber.... (he said that since he wore the Orange one for his high school grad that somehow justifies this!)

I almost cried  when I found out he was serious and said I am not getting married to someone in a blue tux!

He wonders how people will know he's the groom if all the men are in black suits.

that...tux...is basically what my father wore when he got married in 1974! might've been a bit paler blue...but, ruffles and all! (no top hat, sadly)  ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh congratulations. This thread made it to the knot blogs.
  • My FI, god bless his heart, has been pretty easy going so far with the planning. He has had some suggestions...and i'm *never* sure if he's joking or not...

-Wanted to have the reception at his union's hall in Boston, even though we had decided on Newport, RI. We could've saved someof money and could've invited 500+ people (aka all of our friends since we had to cut some to accommodate some of those you-don't-want-to-but-have-to-invite-to-keep-the-peace older relatives). We decided against it cause there's no parking for the OOT guests and the location is kind of iffy - it's basically in the worst part of Boston, and I probably wouldn't want to walk around there in the middle of the day, let alone after dark!

-He's contemplating the white dinner jacket look for the wedding (would completely fit in with our venue) but he's joking (hopefully?) that he wants to get a fedora and a "pimp" cane as accessories - he says if I get accessories, he should, too.

-He's a firefighter and the grooms cake is going to be a mini replica of his company's engine that he runs on. We're displaying it alongside the wedding cake, so he thinks it would be funny if there were fake fondant flames going up the side of the cake, with "my" cake topper on top - like he has to rescue me.

-FI says that my FILs want us to send the invites out 6 MONTHS in advance! It's a "DW" - about 95% of the guests will be flying in, getting hotels, etc, so we will be sending them out at about 10 weeks, i think...(i have a feeling that they want to have a b-list, which we already said no way to)

-We just went out to some stores today to go over the things we've registered for online, and his mentality is, "why do we need to register for this now? why can't they just give us money and we can buy all of this afterwards?" oy vey.

He's had some other ideas that I know he said just to get a rise out of me! I love the man, but sometimes I want to take an empty paper towel roll and hit him over the head a few times... ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • casey8784 said:
    My FI, god bless his heart, has been pretty easy going so far with the planning. He has had some suggestions...and i'm *never* sure if he's joking or not...

-He's contemplating the white dinner jacket look for the wedding (would completely fit in with our venue) but he's joking (hopefully?) that he wants to get a fedora and a "pimp" cane as accessories - he says if I get accessories, he should, too.

----------------------
    Can't get out of the box!!  Tell him he does get accessories.  You're wearing a necklace and earrings; he gets cuff links and a tie pin.
  • Love of my life, and his groomsmen all thought White tuxedo's were great. I feel your pain mmm4763. When i put my foot down, then he wanted a say in his fashion at the wedding! Since when have you cared about fashion!??? 

The only person wearing white in that church will be ME!
  • My FH wants to have all the groomsmen dress in togas when they play the song "Shout". Apparently this was done in Animal House. Not sure who will get it. I try to never mention it in hopes he forgets about it by the big day..
  • casey8784 said:
    My FI, god bless his heart, has been pretty easy going so far with the planning. He has had some suggestions...and i'm *never* sure if he's joking or not...

-Wanted to have the reception at his union's hall in Boston, even though we had decided on Newport, RI. We could've saved someof money and could've invited 500+ people (aka all of our friends since we had to cut some to accommodate some of those you-don't-want-to-but-have-to-invite-to-keep-the-peace older relatives). We decided against it cause there's no parking for the OOT guests and the location is kind of iffy - it's basically in the worst part of Boston, and I probably wouldn't want to walk around there in the middle of the day, let alone after dark!

-He's a firefighter and the grooms cake is going to be a mini replica of his company's engine that he runs on. We're displaying it alongside the wedding cake, so he thinks it would be funny if there were fake fondant flames going up the side of the cake, with "my" cake topper on top - like he has to rescue me.

-FI says that my FILs want us to send the invites out 6 MONTHS in advance! It's a "DW" - about 95% of the guests will be flying in, getting hotels, etc, so we will be sending them out at about 10 weeks, i think...(i have a feeling that they want to have a b-list, which we already said no way to)

-We just went out to some stores today to go over the things we've registered for online, and his mentality is, "why do we need to register for this now? why can't they just give us money and we can buy all of this afterwards?" oy vey.

He's had some other ideas that I know he said just to get a rise out of me! I love the man, but sometimes I want to take an empty paper towel roll and hit him over the head a few times... ;)
    If I were you @casey8784 , I'd be careful with this one.  Someone I worked with actually did the pimp hat and cane at his wedding.  Of course the bride picked pink and zebra print for the colors...but there's a precedent there. 
  • casey8784 said:

If I were you @casey8784 , I'd be careful with this one.  Someone I worked with actually did the pimp hat and cane at his wedding.  Of course the bride picked pink and zebra print for the colors...but there's a precedent there. 
    I think I've gotten across to him by saying how much I don't like this idea, and even his groomsmen are nixing the idea, so I think he's getting the idea that no one really cares for the hat and cane... ::crossing fingers::.....I also think his "toy" has become what we're using for a cake cutter. There's an old tradition (dunno if it's a local one?) where firefighters get a mini fire ax - about a foot long and engraved with our names/date/etc - to cut the cake with, and he's kind of turned his attention to design that. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At mmm4763.  Your comment and photo about the blue/orange tux are hilarious!

• Jen4948 said:
    caity8880 said:
    My lovely FH doesn't think we need to register anywhere, that way "everyone can just give us cash". I'm still working on explaining to him that it's rude to ask for money and that some people aren't comfortable gifting cash rather than a traditional gift.
    Yeah, but if you don't register for something you're much more likely to receive a Beyonce the giant metal chicken...
    That could happen even if you register, so this argument doesn't work.  And you don't have to keep gifts you don't want.  The only rule of thumb is that you need to be discreet about how you dispose of them.
  • Oh boy, I've had fun with this... if by fun, I mean I'm surprised I haven't killed him yet. 

1. He believed I simply made up the idea of Save the Date cards. 
    2. Hawaiian Print Suit. No joke. 
    3. He wanted to have an outdoors reception, so he could grill.... Yes, honey, why shouldn't you spend all day at the reception hiding behind a BBQ pit? 
  • APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2013
    Jen4948 said:

Jen4948 said:
    caity8880 said:
    Yeah, but if you don't register for something you're much more likely to receive a Beyonce the giant metal chicken...
    That could happen even if you register, so this argument doesn't work.  And you don't have to keep gifts you don't want.  The only rule of thumb is that you need to be discreet about how you dispose of them.
    Oh indeed.  If someone's determined, they might still get you a giant metal chicken.  I just meant that if you give them some physical items to choose from that you actually like, they might go that way and further away from the giant metal chicken...

ETA: Also, returning gifts can happen if you know where they got it from and you only get the full amount guaranteed with some sort of receipt.  A giant metal chicken you can get on clearance at a garden store isn't really returnable and also very noticeable in its absence. 

• Oh indeed.  If someone's determined, they might still get you a giant metal chicken.  I just meant that if you give them some physical items to choose from that you actually like, they might go that way and further away from the giant metal chicken...

*STUCK IN THE BOX*
    My friend once put a ceramic rooster on his registry as a joke...without his fiancee knowing. I was at the bridal shower, and let me say, she definitely had some choice words when she opened that gift! It did liven up the opening-gifts part of the shower that had gotten a little ho-hum. Now I think she's taken to it, and it sits front and center on their fireplace mantle!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards