Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Menu too fun?

mrsbizzzmrsbizzz member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited September 2013 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Jumping off another post, my fiance and I wanted to do a menu that reflects what we eat. FI is very anti-plated dinner (we love cooking together and rarely eat at fancy restaurants), so I asked venue to draw up a menu that sort of "upscales" our favorite foods, with some regional favorites (I am from Iowa, he is from Philadelphia) thrown in. We really wanted something fun and comfortable and the caterer was eager to jelp.

While at first I loved the menu, now I am thinking that it might not be crowd pleasing, especially if we have to explain the meaning behind each item. We have plenty of time before this needs to be finalized and FI is pretty stuck on this menu. Opinions? I should also note that the wedding is not formal.

PASSED HORS DOURVES

Pot Stickers

Pistachio encrusted chicken fingers with dipping sauces

STATION #1

Fresh Seasonal Fruit Display with Wafers

Salad Greens with Seasonal Vegetables and choice of dressings

STATION #2

Mini Philly cheese Steak Sandwiches

Pulled Pork Sliders

Quesadillas with Condiments

French Fries in Individual Cones or Packets

* Sweet Potato Fries, Boardwalk Fries (Thick, Crinkle Cut), Regular with Rosemary &

Sea Salt

STATION #3

Farfalle Pasta with Home Made Sauce Choices (Pesto., Vodka,Marinara)

Condiments: Sun Dried Tomatoes, Sunflower Seeds, Asiago Cheese

House Made Meatballs

Chicken Cutlets

House Made Mac & Cheese in Individual bowls

Condiments: bread Crumbs, Bacon, Ham, Chives, Tomatoes, Carmelized Onions

Fresh Asparagus  with Lemon Sauce

Re: Menu too fun?

• Options
    This sounds super fun! And you have a bunch of crowd-pleasers on your menu. But I don't think you need to explain everything to people. We had a bunch of sentimental stuff at our wedding, but didn't explain it. It just meant a lot to us (and our families) to know it's there.
  • Options

Sounds fine, so long as you're planning on having tables and chairs for everyone to sit down to eat at.

I definitely wouldn't be able to eat 90% of these foods while standing up!

• Options
    @itzMS - Yes, everyone will be able to sit down, except for during cocktail hour when the hors dourves will be passed.
  • Options
    Can I come to your wedding?  This all sounds delish!

Except boardwalk fries are not thick and crinkle cut!  Sorry I live on the eastern shore (MD) and boardwalk fries should be regular fry shape with skin on and loaded with salt and vinegar.  Oh and not too crispy.  The best fries are slightly soft so you can squish a whole bunch into your mouth.

• Options
    Your menu sounds fun and delicious.  All the best!
  • Options
    It all sounds delicious!  
  • Options
    allispainallispain member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2013
    I think it sounds great! Though I agree with Maggie on the definition of boardwalk fries...

My only question was - sunflower seeds on a pasta station?!?!? I've never heard of that combination before. Is that normal where you're from??

ETA - typo
  • Options
    I love it! 
  • Options

@allispain and @Maggie0829 - the caterers description of what we want for boardwalk fries is not very good. We're thinking more of what Maggie mentioned. We get them on our monthly summer trips to Ocean City, NJ and will need the malt vinegar for sure!

@allispain - we're taking the sunflower seeds off and replacing with pine nuts. I think I pasted a previous version of the menu from before we changed that.

• Options
    The only thing I can think of with the sunflower seeds is they do that in case of a nut allergy, but yeah that is weird. Oh thank goodness you will be pushing for the real deal in regards to the fries. I now really want to make the 2.5 hour drive to OC for some fries.

• Options
    Ah ok, pine nuts makes so much more sense!!

Also, like Maggie, I really want some fries right now...
  • Options
    Yum, I would love to go to a wedding with food like that! Sounds delicious!
  • Options
    SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    emmyg65 said:
    This sounds super fun! And you have a bunch of crowd-pleasers on your menu. But I don't think you need to explain everything to people. We had a bunch of sentimental stuff at our wedding, but didn't explain it. It just meant a lot to us (and our families) to know it's there.
    Ditto this. I would put zero effort into explaining your choices and how they "reflect you and your FI" (or whatever). People like food and your foods seem diverse enough and tasty enough, and that's the main goal. People who know you (and/or your FI) well will get the subtle hints; others won't and that's okay.

Like PPs said, make sure your bases are covered with having ample tables and chairs for everyone, and depending on your crowd, make sure you have a few vegetarian options available. Pot stickers and quesadillas can go either way on the veggie/meat. (Otherwise, it looks like fries and mac & cheese are your only veggie options -- probably not enough for a meal.)

Overall, everything sounds tasty!

ETA: I missed the fruit, salad, and pasta which would also be vegetarian-friendly. If you have vegetarians on the guest list, I would maybe add one more entree-like veggie item. But otherwise it looks like you're golden.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    Love this!
  • Options

Thank you all for the responses! As it seems, I am worried about nothing and, at the very least, I will be satisfied with the food at my wedding!

We only have one vegetarian attending the wedding and we've asked the head chef to make sure she is well fed!

• Options
    pistachio chicken fingers sound good but do you have anyone coming with a nut allergy? or maybe someone who is invited and coming has one that you dont know about. maybe offer some with the nuts and some plain chicken fingers
  • Options
    This sounds so interesting and delicious. I hope you go with this! Good luck!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I want to go to your wedding just for the food. I wish i had the option of having all of those things.
  • Options
    Who is your caterer? Sounds delish.  We're looking for a fun menu like this as well.  We're looking into caterers now for our approximately June 14th wedding at approximately Awbury Arboretum.  However, were having a very difficult time getting outside caterers to respond to my emails/ "contact us" forms! Very disappointing when we're trying to hand them thousands of dollars....
    If your wedding has already occured, how was the food? 
    Thanks!
  • Options
    emmyg65 said:

Sounds fun and fits your personality. If I had my way want to have hamburgers and Mac and cheese

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards