Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Wearing Ring(s)?

My engagement ring is a bit of an odd shape (four small diamonds in a swirl shape, laying flush to my finger) which makes a bit of a big ring. I've tried wearing small rings with it to see what size of wedding band i should go for, but no matter what size ring i've tried on with it, it's very uncomfortable and sits either crooked or awkwardly close to the finger joint. I've been considering wearing just the wedding band (once we're married) but i wasn't sure if doing this would be breaking tradition or offensive. Is it?

Re: Wearing Ring(s)?

• I know my mom wears just her band when she doesn't want to draw attention to herself. However, she wears both rings most of the time. For my situation, I think my FI's feelings would be hurt if I only wore the band. He put a lot of time and thought into picking out my engagement ring. Maybe you should talk it over with your FI and see what he has to say? Also, have you checked into getting a band custom made for your ring? Maybe you could get a plain band made to fit the shape of your ring. If they fit together, it might be more comfortable. Good luck!
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    I know my engagement ring cost a lot more than my wedding ring so it would be a shame and kind of wasteful for me to have taken it off at the wedding and never wear it again.  I like PPs idea of getting a custom made band.  Or maybe you could at least move it to your left hand so it still gets worn.

ETA:  Have you been to the store where your FI bought it?  If they marketed it as an engagement ring I'm sure they have a corresponding wedding ring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Looking into a custom ring as an option. I have a large stone on my engagement ring and a band that almost is a double one. We ended up getting me a plain wedding band.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You can just wear the wedding band if you want, but they do have bands with curves in them to make room for big engagement rings.
  • I agree about going in to see a jeweler and getting a quote on a custom band that can be made to fit your engagement right. 

Your other option would be to wear your wedding band on your left hand and your engagement ring on your right hand. I have seen this done by celebrities who have giant bling e-rings that take up the entire space of their finger from knuckle to knuckle, so both wouldn't fit together on a finger.... 
  • Schatzi13 said:

Another option is to also use your engagement ring as your wedding ring. If you want a separate w-ring, of course go for it, but there's no rule that says that you have to have two rings (or, really, any at all).

Yes. My ring is fairly small, but I haven't decided yet whether we should even worry about shopping for a band for me. He only gets one; I'm not totally convinced I need two.
  • Schatzi13 said:
    Another option is to also use your engagement ring as your wedding ring. If you want a separate w-ring, of course go for it, but there's no rule that says that you have to have two rings (or, really, any at all).
    Yup.  I told FI I thought it was unnecessary to buy me a second ring.  I'm just wearing the one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards