Nevada-Las Vegas

NVR: Cutting the Cake Cutting

Hey Knotties,

This isn't Vegas related but I wanted to spark a bit of discussion about it.

I'm thinking of NOT having a 'cake cutting' at my wedding reception. I've already nixed the bouquet/garter tosses and we are getting a tower of cupcakes with a mini (8 inch) cake on the top so cutting really isnt 'required'. Maggianos is putting out a dessert buffet table right up next to our wedding cupcake tower so guests will just help themselves to dessert into the night.

I have nothing against others having a cake cutting at their wedding but I find it kind of pointless at mine. I only have 4 hours of reception time and I want to speed through my timeline and get to the PARTYING already lol. Just wanted to see if I'm the only crazy one thinking of culling this wedding tradition.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

Re: NVR: Cutting the Cake Cutting

• That is one of the only traditional things we are doing!  And really it's because I found these cute champagne flutes and I'm more looking forward to the champagne toast part of it!  

I'm all about doing what works for the bride and groom and Vegas is the perfect place to throw tradition out the window!  
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • There are champagne flutes involved? Im confused. We are still doing toasts and a first dance just not keen on the cake (plus im being cheap and dont want to buy a fancy knife and server).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I was gonna nix the cake, then my husband convinced me that it would be a good photo op that our moms would appreciate, then after the wedding, he was like, "The cake cutting was unnecessary, why did we do that?" And turns out, I really liked the pictures. Typical.

If you feel like you'll be missing some kind of ritual, you can always feed/smash mini-cupcakes to each other ... my brother's wife has grain sensitivities so they fed each other chocolate-covered strawberries. 

I think guests will only miss it if there isn't a dessert at all, or if you call attention to the fact that there's no cake. Otherwise, focus on the traditions that matter to you and don't even mention to people that there isn't a cake.
  • Im with you toasts I want cake cutting ah. However I like the idea of saying I started a food fight at the bellagio. I might put it in the things to skip pile as well plus the fi nails look scary so the least amount of camera time for those bear claws is good.
  • FI wants it only cos its 'tradition'. I just dont like the idea of it. I can live without pictures of us cutting and feeding cake to each other.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• the ones we have seen lately the bride and groom cut the cake then a champagne toast between them.  not necessarily with the other toasts that people give.  
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • That is one of the only traditions we are keeping and that is because the cake was included with our venue. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well I'm the odd one in the group I guess! We actually just decided last week we are skipping the cake! Our mini reception will only be about 60-90 min at Carlos n Charlies and I didn't want to try to squeeze in too much! We are still doing the toast though lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • We are not doing cake! Just doing cupcakes/petit fours for the guests and maybe a candy bar. I don't think it is necessary, and I can live without those pics as well. :]
  • We aren't having a cake either, we are having our reception at the wicked spoon and there is plenty if desserts so we felt like it is a waste to pay a couple hundred dollars for a cake. So I guess we will skip the cake cutting too, who knows we may taste each others dessert or something stupid if we want
  • edited October 2013
    We aren't doing a cake because to me, I can't justify spending $500-600 bucks on a cake that A) No one will probably eat, B) We wont get to take a piece home with us, and C) we have desserts already going on, so we can always feed each other little soufflés or some mousse if we want that moment....But I will say, we are doing the garter and the bouquet because the fiancé said no silly games at our wedding, something has to be traditional....we are also going to do toasts and its going to take some time due to all of our family and such (both parents divorced and remarried, so 4 sets of parents to make a toast) so not having cake helps with the time as well. We are also thinking about doing toasts while people are eating so it keeps the flow going... 
  • Thanks ladies! Glad to see im not the only cake cutting cutter.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We're having mini cupcakes and cake pops so everyone can try all of the flavors without stuffing themselves on four pieces of cake. We were going to skip the cake cutting and just feed each other a cake pop (nice and neat!) but my mom was sort of depressed. Apparently, she really loves it and thinks of it as firm tradition. So, we ordered a mini-cake that we can cut into and then save for our first anniversary.
  • So I must be the odd one because we ARE having a cake. We ordered it through the chapel and having it delivered for $325 total. It's pretty simple, different flavors for each of the 3 tiers. It is more cost effective than cupcakes for us. Also, the cake cutting fee is waived because we are not having the included dessert from the restaurant. My mom's favorite part of any wedding is the wedding cake, so that is why we chose it :) I love to hear what everyone else is doing.
  • We're also not having a cake (way too much money that could be better spent elsewhere). HOWEVER, if people want to see us cut a cake on our wedding day we will just get a little one during our reception at the Wynn buffet and cut that with a regular knife! 

At our home reception we get an engraved cake knife included in our package so we're getting some cake for that, but just some interesting and tasty regular cake. No over-priced over-iced over-decorated thing, can't stand them!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • We haven't decided what we're doing cake wise yet, but I don't think it's a big deal to skip. I think it's more of a photo op than anything else.
  • Oh man, I can't imagine not cutting a cake.  Maybe it's the traditionalist in me?  I am having a tough time because I am having a tiny dinner and all the cakes I love are giant.  My fave is a four tier.  I think I may do a two or three tier but it really irks me that the Stratosphere refuses to give me a credit for not wanting the dessert out of their set menu and will charge me a cake cutting fee for using an outside vendor.  Their quote prices were double what bakeries have told me and I read a review that their cake tastes like cardboard, so I think I will do an outside bakery fee or no fee.
  • @Reina that kinda sux! Surely they can absorb their cake cutting fee if you dont go with their desserts!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We're going for cupcakes.  I wasn't bothered about having a cake.  I hadn't even thought about any 'ceremony' being involved!  We're having a champagne toast.  Mainly because I love champagne and if our numbers stay small it's a good way to extravagantly use up some of our F&B minimum!
  • You would think ...
    missmo14 said:

@Reina that kinda sux! Surely they can absorb their cake cutting fee if you dont go with their desserts!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards