September 2013 Weddings

Name change at Social Security during the government shutdown?

Hi does anyone know if the social security offices are processing name change requests during the government shutdown. My social security office is a drive and I don't want to go down there and wait and them tell me it's not a service they can provide. I tried calling and was on hold for 45min! I really want to change my name because I feel it's not official until I'm Mrs.____. Has anyone tried since the shutdown?

Re: Name change at Social Security during the government shutdown?

• they are NOT doing name changes...they said they won't be doing them until the shutdown is over

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No name changes until the government shut down is over!! Also if you booked your honeymoon in your maiden name and you're flying anywhere, the airlines charge you to re-issue the tickets and also charge you a penalty!! Just an FYI because I didn't even consider that when we booked our honeymoon!!!
  • I sent in the printed form right before the shutdown with my marriage license (you don't actually have to go in).  I got my license back with a typed note saying that my new card would be issued within so many days.  I got my new social security card a few days later.  Then I spent my day off this week hitting the DMV, tag agency, library, and bank and my next day back changing everything with hr.  I am now no longer the future Mrs. Rohlman :)
  • I didn't get my marriage license until a day or two after the shutdown began...but it seems that they will all be up and running Thursday...if its that far of a drive, I would still call before driving there

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards