Registry and Gift Forum

what is it ok to register for?

We don't need china silver or crystal as I have that from my grandmother already. So we have lots of towels, table and bed linens, a wide assortment of kitchen things. Is it ok to put occasional furniture on there? I'm not talking buy us a sofa, but like 80 dollar end tables from target or whatever? 

Re: what is it ok to register for?

• I personally wouldn't care if I saw end tables on your registry.  I have seen TV/tray tables that cost at least that much and I don't see much difference between the two items.  I have seen registries with items that vary in price from $5 to $500 (pot/pan set, vacuum).  

As a MOB/MOG, I like the flexibility and creativity that brides and grooms now have with their registries (the legitimate ones, not the honeyfunds or cash funds).  When I married, Crate and Barrel stores were just opening.  I registered there as well as at Fields.  Almost no one (especially relatives and friends of parents) made a purchase from Crate and Barrel because the items there were deemed "too casual" for a wedding registry.  **sigh**
  • Yeah that's fine, though I probably wouldn't buy you furniture from Target - I would worry it was fiberboard, and I'm picky about that.

That said, it doesn't bother me at all to see small pieces of furniture from places like PB, CB, etc - now, I don't want to see the $4,000 bedroom set - but the $150 side table?  Sure, knock yourself out.

The most recent wedding gift H and I purchased were a pair of lamps from PB.  I sort of wish we had registered for those ourselves because we're looking to buy a house in the next year, and nice lamps are $$.   We have all the lighting we need until we move, but I sort of wish we had registered for them anyway and just stored them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We registered for and got the split top storage bench from BBB.  It looks pretty nice and is a great place for shoe storage by our front door. 
  • I see accent/ occasional furniture and patio furniture on registries all the time. It's not my favorite thing to buy, but I don't side eye them for being on there. I also see them given to brides at showers all the time too. Go for it! GL :-)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thanks ya'll I appreciate the input. Hard to figure out what is and isn't appropriate sometimes. I know that I wouldn't bat an eye lash at these sorts of things if saw them on a registry but it's nice to have another's opinion on the matter!
  • i was wondering the same thing.  Living in our own home for a couple years now, I do not need much in terms of kitchen stuff, towels, sheets etc but there are counter stools i've been wanting from potterybarn.  I don't want or expect peopel to spend a lot on me, but at the same time i hate going to showers where there is little to nothing on the registry.  The other thing I was thinking about but wasn't sure if okay was decorative/wall art type stuff.  Our walls are bare and that is what i REALLY need. 
  • wall art, candles, stools, holiday decor - all okey dokey in my opinion - register away!! :-)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I think light decor and accent items are fine. 

I think sofas or other heavy furniture is silly. 
  • we registered for a wine bar at BBB thinking I would just purchase it later with the completion discount, and a my best friend went in with her mom & sister and bought it for my shower.  I was so surprised.  It is totally OK to put furniture/ bigger ticket items as long as they are not outrageously priced.  You may not get them but sometimes you will be surprised with a group gift or can always put gift cards towards them later.

Anniversary
  • You're entitled to put whatever it is you need on your registry.  I've never judged a couple for what they put on their registry, and I'd be shocked if your guests had negative thoughts over furniture.  Go for it! :)
  • Sounds fine, it is stuff for the home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards