Plus-Sized

Show us your plus size wedding gown!

Re: Show us your plus size wedding gown!

• @tigger75 if you are not totally in love with the dress than scratch that one and start again with a fresh open mind go to some other places that have plus size but when you call make sure they are true plus sizes and how many they have in sizes close to yours you can try on. i called a bunch of places and all i was getting was 14s 16s 18s way way small end of plus. oh we have 1-2 dresses in sizes 20 would you like to make an apt.. i said no well give us a call if we can help you.  how can you help me if you dont have my sizes.

i went to 3 places one was bridal samples new and consigned. older styles of plus size gowns but needed work. there was a mori lee gown i loved but was not sold the halter would have to be turned into straps with a jacket made to match the fit was ok but you could still see some tummy issues. 

second place loved loved loved she has lots of plus size gowns that i could try on im a street size 22 in pants 18-20 or 22-24 in tops i must have tried over 15 gowns and narrowed it down to 2 i wanted to sleep on it. 

then went to another place beacuse my mom and sister said try one more place with different designers and styles website says we specalize in plus i went they had all the gowns on racks in no size order such a mess i had to dig to find anything in a 22 or 24 those were limited. they were able to get me into some 18s but nothing they had fit my vison i was almost in tears in the dressing room. 

worst part was owner was sitting at the front desk asking why i didnt purchase i said i did not see anything i wanted. ended up that day going back to the second salon and ended up with a mori lee one shoulder strap taffta and lace gown with pick ups the dress is so southern looking totaly fits in with my country girl at heart. im adding another strap to it.

i to have self estem issues i cant have bare arms anywhere but the beach and even then i am selfcon. i have to have my upper arms covered at all times i might end up having a shrug made just in case 

when you tried on this dress you posted did it make you cry did you get that feeling of this is my gown. did it give you butterflys could you see yourself walking down the aisle to the love of your life in this?

the second time i put on my dress i knew it was the one i had butterflys i had that moment the lace on the dress and the taffeta i knew if my grandma was still here she would have approved of that dress 
  • @hyechica81 - Thank you so much for all of your advice! I have gone back to put my dress on, and the more I do the more I find things I love about it. I think its the whole self-con thing that gets in my way and seems to take over my mind whenever I look in the mirror, wedding gown or not. I think my main issue was that even though I loved it enough to buy it, I was/am so worried that other people are going to think its as pretty as I do. I have been to weddings in the past where people make comments about the bride's dress etc...and that is my biggest fear. I too have thought about possibly doing some sort of strap, or shrug just to try and hide my arms. But everyone else tells me that it looks great the way it is and they wouldnt change a thing. So that does make me feel better...still very worried about it though. I wish I could shake it. 

Visit The Knot!   Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you!
  • Hi everyone! New here. These are the two dresses I'm pondering on. I love both of them, but my mother and I favor the one with the flower more. My BM love the other one. I like the simplicity on each of them. Both are completely different styles. I'm sort of torn here.

• @rox629 both are very pretty but I like the first one a little more.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the first dress is more flattering on you.  I love it.  Both are very nice though.  I would wear the one you like best.
  • Rox629 I prefer the second dress.  But wear whatever one you like, and it sounds like you prefer the first one.

• Thanks for the input. I loved the 2nd one right away (2nd dress i put on). The first one the consultant picked out and was the last one i put on. I loved that one as well, and stated to like it more than the other. When i look at the pictures I like it even more. I just wasn't sure if i was not seeing something that my BM where seeing. I will be trying them on again with just my mom and hopefully get a better feel on what I really love. I think we are going to go to another boutique as well to try different styles.
  • One year of weight loss, equalling 59.3 lbs, losing over 9" in my waist alone, my dress FITS!!!! I love it and cannot wait to get married November 16!
  • ils2004ils2004 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013
    YAY! I'm so excited I get to post on this thread now.  Here's my dress; she's a Pronovias Alcanar.  Please don't mind the cider glass in my hand, LOL :)
    *** September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration ***
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congratulations on the weight loss. The dress looks fabulous.
  • Wow, you all look beautiful! I did not buy my dress yet. I need you guys honest opinion...Since the closest David's bridal is a 3 hours drive for me, I went alone... I tried a few dresses, and there was only one I really liked, but not sure is the right fit for my body shape. Here it is, What do you think?
  • @isabica is that the only place you can go to is there places closer besides davids? i would try on other dresses to get a feel for different styles. not so sure it does enough for your problem areas i have the same issue and tried on a similar dress and did not work for me.

gl in your dress shopping mori lee has a plus size line juletta and its very affordably priced, bonny has a plus line unforgetable and clalista only makes dresses for the curvey women 

• Wow, you all look beautiful! I did not buy my dress yet. I need you guys honest opinion...Since the closest David's bridal is a 3 hours drive for me, I went alone... I tried a few dresses, and there was only one I really liked, but not sure is the right fit for my body shape. Here it is, What do you think?
    I think ruching in general is flattering.  I think you should try on some different dresses and if you still aren't sure, maybe post some more pictures of your top picks and we can give you some opinions.  
  • Definitely try on as many as you can. I have gown shopping twice now and each time I get a little closer to finding the dress. 

I have asked my married girlie friends and they all say that you'll know when its YOUR dress. 
    October 2014 September Inspiration: Colors

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh my goodness Kirah you look AMAZING!
  • KirahSeanKirahSean member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
  • Jenn5531Jenn5531 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    You all look so beautiful!
  • edited October 2013
  • Ordered my dress and I absolutely love it!
  • @jennythorpe OMG I LOVE your dress!!!
  • Tesa1987Tesa1987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    So I am still on the fence but I think this might be my dress.

October 2014 September Inspiration: Colors

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you LincolnElizabethH!
  • chkmeowtchkmeowt member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    meh, see next post

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • You all look amazing! I found my dress last saturday, so happy!
  • edited November 2013
    imageNew Knottie here!  Here's my gown, and I can see a couple of us have the same great taste!