Registry and Gift Forum

Macy's Star Rewards, is it worth it to get their card?

We plan to register at Macy's, and they advertise the heck out of this star rewards program.  The credit card itself gets pretty abysmal reviews as the base rewards are pretty low, but I think with the additional registry rewards it might still be worth it to get it when we register and then cancel it after we use the rewards post wedding.  Has anyone done this?  Was it worth it?

Re: Macy's Star Rewards, is it worth it to get their card?

• I had a Macy's card already and found the program to be beneficial - but Macy's is my go to store. If you wedding is coming up soon, check into how the "Thanks For Sharing Program" would work with your registry. It might offer extra perks. Last year, I earned $175 in gift cards just shopping for us and Christmas gifts. I love my Macy's rewards in general, they send me $10 off $30 and $20 off $50 all the time.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I signed up for the card just for the registry rewards, since I'm not a big department store shopper.  I got a gift card of almost $200, so for me it was worth it.  I also got some really great coupons that I used to shop for new bathing suits for the honeymoon.  As a side note, this is my only store specific credit card.
  • You can't stack the "Thanks for Sharing" with your registry rewards (I already checked because mine would have overlapped).

Since I registered I bought a Coach purse, my FI's wedding suit, our engagement outfits and wedding shoes.   I will get 10% of that cost back as a gift card after the wedding.

Anytime someone buys something off of your Macy's registry you will get 5% of their gift back in a gift card after the wedding.

I think this is worth it to get the card, but ONLY if you are good about paying off your credit cards in full and on time.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I signed up for the card because of the registry benefit.  We got a gift card for something like $150 after the wedding, which was well worth it to me.

I haven't used the card since, and have never carried a balance on it.  There's no annual fee, so it isn't hurting anything, but it certainly isn't a card I would have gotten or recommended for any other reason.  
  • We ended up with more than $300 in gift cards from the star rewards.  It was very worthwhile to us.  They also send us some additional coupons each month because of the card, which we do use on occasion.  I particularly like the $10 off $30 purchase coupons because I can use them for lower-priced items.

We also don't carry a balance on it, but like PP it doesn't hurt us to keep it.  We live very close to a couple of Macy's so we're going to keep it to at least get the coupons.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! We went in and started our registry today and I did get the card, I never carry a balance on CCs so I think it will be worthwhile. Thanks again for sharing your experiences :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards