Attire & Accessories Forum

Engagement ring questions?

Do you wear it during the ceremony?

Do you wear it after? (And if so, which goes on top?)

Re: Engagement ring questions?

• Oh thank you for asking this! I would like to know this as well. I would love to wear my engagement ring & wedding ring the day of too. 

I've seen the wedding band on first and then the engagement ring goes back on after for most of the wedding photos, videos & weddings I've seen. Although etiquette wise I have no idea, so I could be wrong. ^_^ Sorry that doesn't answer your question haha 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLI242009        See that makes sense to me, wedding ring closer to your hand, but my engagement ring has a raised stone and my wedding ring is a band with set in stones, so that would feel and look weird to me... also if that were so, during the ceremony, would he take on ring off and then put both back on?? sound weird. =/
  • maryemoo said:
    CLI242009        See that makes sense to me, wedding ring closer to your hand, but my engagement ring has a raised stone and my wedding ring is a band with set in stones, so that would feel and look weird to me... also if that were so, during the ceremony, would he take on ring off and then put both back on?? sound weird. =/
    Also another question I would like answered too. I'm not sure about your ring....I'm not a ring person so I have no idea what kind of ring you have and I can't picture it haha. All I've seen with researching photographers and videographers is 

Ceremony - you have no ring on and he places your wedding band only, at the ceremony. 

After: i've seen this in videos, photos & at one wedding where in between from the end of the ceremony to them getting introduced at the reception the bride now had her engagement ring on in front of the band. 

The videographer and photographer show off all 3 rings so I kind of don't have an answer for you, just my experience with what I've seen. :-/ sorry!!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLI242009        My engagement ring is a simple gold band with a small raised opal (my favorite stone). My wedding band is 2/3 gold and 1/3 silver...it has 7 tiny (very!) diamonds set in the silver part...I just can't figure it out, haha! We're probably both waaay overthinking it.
  • I wore my engagement ring, he put the wedding band on top (the pastor warned us ahead of time to not try and force the rings if they were a tight fit, lol), and I switched them after we recessed down the aisle. No big deal.
  • I also wore mine, DH put the wedding band on top, and I switched them after we got back to the bridal suite to bustle the dress.
  • It is traditional to wear the wedding band first (closer to the hand), but I find this odd.  I received my engagement ring first, therefore it goes on my finger first.  You can wear your rings however you prefer (including on different fingers/hands if that's what works best for you).
  • Before I went down the aisle, I put my engagement ring on my right hand. During the Mass, DH put my wedding band on my (empty) finger. Later during the ceremony, I quietly put my e-ring back on my left hand, on top of my wedding band.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I think I am going to have my e ring on my right hand, and allow FI to put ring on my empty finger, then I will switch them afterwards.
  • I plan on wearing my engagement ring on my right hand for the ceremony , then will put it on after I have my wedding band on.  wedding band on first, so closest to your heart.

• Huh okay so there's tradition but no SET rule about it. That's good to hear because like some of you guys said, I would like to wear my engagement ring and then have the wedding band put on top of it. Then later if I want to switch it around to see what best fits. 

Well I guess we have our questions answered Mary ^_^ haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wore mine. During the ring exchange, he just put the ring on my finger. After the ceremony, we had a moment by ourselves (and our photog) where we took pictures of switching them around so the band is on the inside. They're really cute. It wasn't planned but worked out well.
    *********************************************************************************

• I gave my engagement ring to my MOH right before ceremony (it wouldn't fit on any of my fingers on right hand without being too tight or too loose), he just put wedding band on during ceremony. After ceremony I took my ring back from MOH & put it on figuring most of our guests if they asked to see our rings would want to see both of my rings.

• Ven&Radio said:
    It is traditional to wear the wedding band first (closer to the hand), but I find this odd.  I received my engagement ring first, therefore it goes on my finger first.  You can wear your rings however you prefer (including on different fingers/hands if that's what works best for you).
    It's because you wear your wedding ring closest to your heart.  Also, some people never, ever, take their wedding ring off (especially if it is a plain flat band or has channel set stones) but may remove the engagement ring with it's raised stone for various activities.  

I wore my engagement ring on my right hand for the ceremony and then moved it later.  Yes, you can wear your rings however you prefer but if they are not on the ring finger of the left hand be prepared for people to assume you are not married.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wore my engagement ring on my left hand for the ceremony and then flipped them afterwards.  The technically right way to wear it is wedding band first so it is closer to your heart, but no one will arrest you or null your marriage if you choose to wear it opposite.  My band was a set with my ring so it was made to have engagement on top of my band.

Anniversary
  • I didn't wear it in the ceremony, I gave it to my Maid of Honor right before the ceremony and she held on to it until immediately afterward. Then I put it on and wore it the rest of the day. The wedding band goes on before the engagement ring, which is why I didn't wear it for the ceremony. I would have to take off the engagement ring, put on wedding band, then put back on the engagement ring and it seemed too tedious to do in front of everyone.
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    Ven&Radio said:

It is traditional to wear the wedding band first (closer to the hand), but I find this odd.  I received my engagement ring first, therefore it goes on my finger first.  You can wear your rings however you prefer (including on different fingers/hands if that's what works best for you).

My mother and grandmother both wear the engagement bands first, which makes the most sense to me since they received those first. That also enables the band to secure the larger e-ring in place so it doesn't slide around. The raised stone of an e-ring looks so strange sitting in the middle of someone's finger if it's worn the other way--seems like it would catch on everything.
  • I might wear my engagement ring on my right hand during the ceremony. I plan on wearing my wedding band closer to my hand. My band is plain white gold and my engagement ring has a large raised stone so I may take it off occasionally.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2013
    I wore mine during the ceremony and didn't think about it at all.  H just slid the band over the top of it.

Technically, I believe the wedding band is supposed to be worn first (closest to your palm) with the e-ring after it on the outside for two reasons (that I've heard).  1. the wedding band is supposed to be closer to your heart.  2. the e-ring is there to protect the band because the marriage is more important than the engagement (something like that.)  

Anyway, right now, I'm wearing my wedding band on the outside because it is properly sized while my e-ring is too big (and I'm too cheap to re-size it.)  So the band keeps the e-ring from feeling loose or sliding around too much.

There are also various other traditions out there.  If you google it, you'll find some.  One is that you have to take the e-ring off to clean the stones so if the e-ring were on the inside, you'd have to take the band off in order to take the e-ring off to clean it (although there are many bands that have stones, so that's not a good reason for a lot of people.
  • lovesclimbing     See, that's where I'm conflicted...my E ring is an opal, so I have to take it off every time I wash my hands/use lotion or sanitizer/shower/get wet, so it would be easier to wear it on the outside, but it just looks weird to me. I guess I'll figure it out later. =]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards