Plus-Sized

Suggestions for plus-sized bridesmaids?

My girls are a variety of sizes and I really want everyone to feel comfortable. Unfortunately, we can't all shop together. Most of what I'm finding is, not surprisingly, tailored toward smaller figures. They would prefer to avoid strapless, and I prefer knee-length to long.

Any favorites for bridesmaid dresses that come in low plus sizes (16-18 at a guess) and that will be flattering to apple or pear shapes? Or favorite designers?

Re: Suggestions for plus-sized bridesmaids?

• My daughter's bridal party varied in height from 5' to 6', and dress sizes from 2 to 20.  She asked them to select a black, short dress.  It allowed each girl to find a dress that flattered them and afford them maximum personal and physical comfort.  Is there any chance you would consider that?

David's Bridal does have a large selection in a variety of sizes.  Would you consider selecting a color and length and letting them pick a style that suits them?
  • David's Bridal has dresses in a variety of sizes, so does Alfred Angelo.
  • I was just in a wedding and got a Bari Jay dress (size 18) that I loved. Most designers have plus-sizing nowadays just need to check. I know Alfred Angelo, Bari Jay, Mori Lee and Wtoo all carry plus size (just to name a few). I loathe David's Bridal and their alterations department is even worse so I try to personally avoid them at all cost. I recommend finding a designer you like that carries plus that can be found where your bridesmaids are located. 
  • I know Eden is really nice and affordable. Their dresses can also be ordered in different lengths, material and a variety of colors. 

I think your best bet, is  to give your girls a designer, material and color, then let them choose the cut that is most flattering. If you're going with a specific color, order from the same designer because the shades of color could be different (if that matters to you).
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    I would like them to at least agree to the same fabric, as well as the same designer. I would agree to either different dresses by the same designer or different shades of the same dress. I have one who only wants chiffon and another who feels it's unflattering. Any fabric recommendations? (It'll be summer, but our summer evenings get fairly cool.)
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    kitty8403 said: I would like them to at least agree to the same fabric, as well as the same designer. I would agree to either different dresses by the same designer or different shades of the same dress. I have one who only wants chiffon and another who feels it's unflattering. Any fabric recommendations? (It'll be summer, but our summer evenings get fairly cool.)

As I said in a prior post, I would strongly encourage you to
     select a color and length and let THEIR comfort be the guide to dress selection.  One of my daughter's BM's chose a chiffon dress.  None of the other women had a dress in that fabric.  When I look at photos, what I see are beautiful women walking confidently and comfortably up the aisle.  

I understand that so many of these details seem like HUGE issues.  Trust me when I say, in hindsight, you will see how little most of this matters.  Take a leap of faith.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards