Wedding Invitations & Paper

Address labels

Did anybody use the Avery address labels to address their wedding invitations??

I am wondering what size to get as well as whether to go with the white or the clear labels. My envelopes are white. The response card envelopes are already printed with my address.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Address labels

• Did you print out the RSVP envelopes?  If so, then why not just print the addresses right onto your invite envelopes?

The etiquette rule is that all invites should be hand addressed.  But to me using labels is a victim-less crime since 9 out of 10 times the person receiving the invite will just throw the envelope away.

If you do decide to use the address label route I would use the clear labels because the whites may not match up.

As far as size I would take one of your envelopes to the store and look at the different sizes available and choose one that works well with your envelope size.

• ARe you using them for the return address or the guests' address? As Maggie said, you supposed to hand address the guests' address. But I if you do DIY print labels I would go with clear and a larger label so that you have enough room to address it properly. Are you using inner envelopes or just the outer one?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I never understood the point of this rule. I agree with Maggie--but actually I thought you weren't supposed to use any labels at all, for your address or theirs.
  • You technically are not supposed to use labels as it's impersonal as well as too casual for a formal event.

It is very much a victimless crime, though.

If you must, use clear labels.

• Did you print out the RSVP envelopes?  If so, then why not just print the addresses right onto your invite envelopes?

The etiquette rule is that all invites should be hand addressed.  But to me using labels is a victim-less crime since 9 out of 10 times the person receiving the invite will just throw the envelope away.

If you do decide to use the address label route I would use the clear labels because the whites may not match up.

As far as size I would take one of your envelopes to the store and look at the different sizes available and choose one that works well with your envelope size.
    No, I ordered them with my address already printed on them.
    ARe you using them for the return address or the guests' address? As Maggie said, you supposed to hand address the guests' address. But I if you do DIY print labels I would go with clear and a larger label so that you have enough room to address it properly. Are you using inner envelopes or just the outer one?
    I would be using them on the outer envelope for the guests' address as well as my address.

I am using inner and outer envelopes. So I guess my next question would be that if I am using labels on the outside envelope, do I then need to use labels for the inner envelope too???

I just feel like it's neater and prettier to have them typed up on the labels. I don't have awful handwriting so I CAN do it if it is absolutely necessary.
  • Would it be possible to just print directly on the envelopes?

• Would it be possible to just print directly on the envelopes?
    I'm not sure. I would have to get with my mom and see. She's got the printer...

Is it more PC to print onto the envelopes than it is to use the label?
  • It's more PC to print directly on than use a label. Your invitations are supposed to make your guests feel personally welcomed to your event. Slapping a label on the invitation turns the invitation into a mass mailing.
  • banana468 said:
    It's more PC to print directly on than use a label. Your invitations are supposed to make your guests feel personally welcomed to your event. Slapping a label on the invitation turns the invitation into a mass mailing.
    Gotcha.... I may as well just handwrite the addresses them. Like I said, my handwriting is not sloppy and I always gets compliments on it. So I guess if I do a few every night, they'll be done by the time it's time to mail them out. Thanks for letting me know!
  • banana468 said:
    It's more PC to print directly on than use a label. Your invitations are supposed to make your guests feel personally welcomed to your event. Slapping a label on the invitation turns the invitation into a mass mailing.
    But you could also say the same thing about printing directly onto the envelope.  I have received many pieces of junk mail where the address was printed directly on the envelope in a nice font (not times roman or arial).

The only way to make it feel truly personal is to write them by hand.

• banana468 said:

But you could also say the same thing about printing directly onto the envelope.  I have received many pieces of junk mail where the address was printed directly on the envelope in a nice font (not times roman or arial).

The only way to make it feel truly personal is to write them by hand.

Printing directly on is still an etiquette breach but it's slightly less offensive than the mass produced Avery labels.

• The addresses printed directly onto business mailings are usually a block or plain script.  Choose a nice script font and print directly onto the envelope or write them yourself.  Address labels, to me, are just tacky.

Banana, please post an updated photo of your precious child!!!!

• katieg520 said:
    banana468 said:
    Gotcha.... I may as well just handwrite the addresses them. Like I said, my handwriting is not sloppy and I always gets compliments on it. So I guess if I do a few every night, they'll be done by the time it's time to mail them out. Thanks for letting me know!
    I think this is a great plan. 

Here's a cautionary tale about labels...
    I purchased my invitations/rsvps from a lady who hand-crafts beautiful stationary.  I asked her to print my return address on the envelopes (invitation & rsvp) and I would hand-print my guests address.  Rather than printing directly on the envelopes, she gave me sheets upon sheets of labels.  My envelopes were chartreuse (yellowy-green) and the labels matched perfectly.  I said screw it and slapped the labels on the envelopes.  Within 2 days the labels started to lift off the envelope.  They looked horrible!!  Thankfully, I hadn't sealed the envelopes yet.  I pulled every label off every envelope and hand wrote my return address.  Lesson learned -- labels suck!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Etiquette confession time - I printed directly on my envelopes (no labels). My handwriting sucks, is inconsistent, and, in all honesty, I was too lazy to address them all. *squint* Yikes!

@katieg520 - you just set your paper size - if you're in MS Word, go to Page Setup, Paper, then type in your height/width (measure your envelope). It's better from an etiquette perspective and cheaper than doing labels. It does take more time than labels would, but I compromised that since I knew I was committing a faux pas anyway and didn't want to make it worse than it already was. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Etiquette confession time - I printed directly on my envelopes (no labels). My handwriting sucks, is inconsistent, and, in all honesty, I was too lazy to address them all. *squint* Yikes!

@katieg520 - you just set your paper size - if you're in MS Word, go to Page Setup, Paper, then type in your height/width (measure your envelope). It's better from an etiquette perspective and cheaper than doing labels. It does take more time than labels would, but I compromised that since I knew I was committing a faux pas anyway and didn't want to make it worse than it already was. 
    I'm doing the same thing, and I don't care.  My handwriting is pretty bad, and my FI is worse, so it just makes sense to print them directly on the envelopes (no labels!).  Why would I pay a calligrapher, all the extra money is going to the bar and food!

• I say give it some attention and hand write them. 
  • We use the labels every year for our Christmas cards and you can still see the clear labels.

For STDs we are going to print directly on the envelope with a nice font. (You can get good free fonts online that look like hand writing!) I haven't done it yet, but I think that's the way to go.

I think hand writing is antequated. It is nice, but I have gotten about 10 wedding invites in the last year and I couldn't tell you if they were written or printed (becuase it doesn't make that much of an impression).

• MrsRadke said:

We use the labels every year for our Christmas cards and you can still see the clear labels.

For STDs we are going to print directly on the envelope with a nice font. (You can get good free fonts online that look like hand writing!) I haven't done it yet, but I think that's the way to go.

I think hand writing is antequated. It is nice, but I have gotten about 10 wedding invites in the last year and I couldn't tell you if they were written or printed (becuase it doesn't make that much of an impression).

Handwriting is not antiquated.  It is just that with advances in technology people have just gotten lazy and would prefer to always use the easy way instead of doing things the right way.
    And yes, when I get a handwritten envelope in the mail I can definitely tell the difference between that and an envelope that was printed from a computer.

• MrsRadke said:

We use the labels every year for our Christmas cards and you can still see the clear labels.

Handwriting is not antiquated.  It is just that with advances in technology people have just gotten lazy and would prefer to always use the easy way instead of doing things the right way.
    And yes, when I get a handwritten envelope in the mail I can definitely tell the difference between that and an envelope that was printed from a computer.

It's not that it doesn't look nice, or better, but a month after the wedding, or even the day of, do your remember which invites were sent with hand written envelopes and which ones were printed by a computer? My point is that I don't remember those details. Even if you do, I would bet that you are in the minority. Most people do not notice those things. I would rather have readable, clean addresses than my chicken scratch hand writing (or worse, my fiances.)

While I did contemplate having them done by a professional, I don't think that the $3.50 per envelope was worth it. If I had an unlimited budget, I would totally go for it, but I don't.

• I bought an ink stamper off Etsy so I didn't have to write out our return address and then wrote out the guest addresses. My family thought it looked very nice and then I didn't waste my time writing out our same address multiple times and now have a stamper to use for some time!
  • MrsRadke said:
    MrsRadke said:

It's not that it doesn't look nice, or better, but a month after the wedding, or even the day of, do your remember which invites were sent with hand written envelopes and which ones were printed by a computer? My point is that I don't remember those details. Even if you do, I would bet that you are in the minority. Most people do not notice those things. I would rather have readable, clean addresses than my chicken scratch hand writing (or worse, my fiances.)

While I did contemplate having them done by a professional, I don't think that the $3.50 per envelope was worth it. If I had an unlimited budget, I would totally go for it, but I don't.

We found the prices steep as well, but we looked around and finally found someone that did calligraphy for $1 for each outer envelope and 25 cents for each inner envelope.  It was a quite a bargain and our invitations looked beautiful.  Well worth the money for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards