Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What foods are you serving for you reception?

2»

Re: What foods are you serving for you reception?

• My upcoming wedding is in the summer and will be buffet style. I feel my guests should be able to help themselves to anything they might want, and the amount they want. My food will all be homemade. And I will also have a dessert buffet. There will be anything from steak and chicken to fresh green beans and pasta to pumpkin roll and sundaes. :)
  • We are getting married next summer in an outdoor ceremony and reception. We are having passed chicken finger skewers, mini burgers and mac n cheese cones for cocktail hour and a buffet with honey bbq chicken, bbq artichokes, pesto ravioli, a summer salad and famous regional sourdough bread for dinner. Also a s'mores bar for dessert! 

So excited, I can't wait!
  • We are having a simple country wedding. Buffet style with chicken, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans and a dinner roll. Soda and coffee and we are discussing having no liquor because we don't really drink. Our wedding is being planned for Oct. 3 2015. 
  • We are having our dinner served family style- you get the best of both worlds! We are expecting about 175 guests - so this way, nobody has to wait in line for a buffet but at least there is more choice than plated. We are having salads, roast potatoes, vegetables, pastas, chicken, and a red meat. The caterer is a friend who owns an Italian restaurant and uses local foods whenever possible, so we left it up to her as far as exactly what she wants to do with the above items. We are having a cocktail hour with passed appetizers and antipasti. We may do some late night food as well. We put much of our budget into the good as we want our guests to have a great meal. We chose our venue based on their willingness to let us choose out own caterer.
    Our dinner is at 6 with the cocktail hour at 5. We are having an open bar and cupcakes for dessert as well.
  • We are getting married in March 2014 at 5 pm. Both the ceremony and reception will be indoors. We chose to do a buffet because of the variety of food we could get. We are doing our pictures before the ceremony, so we won't be having a cocktail hour. We are having an open bar that the guests can access immediately and will have the fruit and cheese displays out so they can be nibbling (and not drinking on empty stomachs) while they wait for us to come in.

Our buffet will consist of:

Fresh Seasonal Fruit display
    Gourmet cheese and cracker display
    Red Pepper Hummas and pita chips
    Spinach Artichoke Dip and pita chips
    Mashed Potato Bar
    Mini Chicken Salad Croissants
    Mini BBQ Sandwiches
    Shrimp Cocktail

And for dessert we are having a cupcake tower of assorted flavors.

We are so excited!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LetaDarnell1LetaDarnell1 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2013
    Pizza hut or Little Caesars for food.  They both carry a variety of items, and it solves all the dietary requirements of the wedding guests (many will eat tons of food, my sister doesn't eat mammal, my dad can't have dairy, garlic, onions, or eggplant, there are a few cheese-friendly vegetarians).

For desert, we found a place that serves funnel cakes and kettle corn.  Plus two wedding cakes, probably one vanilla and one chocolate (no idea about icing flavors or fillings yet, though I hope the chocolate one can have caramel).
  • We are doing In n Out!!!!!!!! The truck is going to serve just burgers, and we're having someone else do fries and salads. We're hoping to hire some teens to "serve" so our guests don't have to wait in line for the truck.
    Cocktail hour will just be cheese, crackers and fruit.
    Some would consider it tacky but it's delicious food that isn't outrageously expensive!
  • We are hiring three food trucks (grilled cheese with the most epic truffle oil and sea salt french fries, crepe truck with three different savory and one sweet crepe and seafood truck clam chowder, lobster rolls, ect.)  Instead of cake we have six different flavors of mini cupcakes, the crepe listed above and I made three different cookies.  
  • We are getting married on January 4th 2014. Since we live in Missouri and it will be pretty cold, we are having a soup buffet. We are going to have baked potato soup with all the fixings (bacon, cheese, chives, sour cream) and broccoli cheese soup. We will have a variety of breads and crackers as well. For drinks we will have a variety of hot teas or cider, coffee and hot chocolate (and of course ice water). I am going to ask several friends of mine to each make a dessert and bring it in a nice dish. My husband and I will have a small cake to cut. His grooms cake will be a peanut butter cheesecake.  
  • We are not getting married until May.  We don't have a movie budget for our production. So we are  opting for just appetizers.  Picking a time between lunch and dinner.  Not sure how much to serve.  Any ideas?

TNT

• The big day is still over a year away, so we haven't finalised a menu yet, BUT we are almost certainly doing lamb shanks (a specialty at our venue) with carrots, broccoli, and potatoes dauphine for our main. We'll have to think about a vegetarian main meal option because some of FI's aunts are veg, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Cocktail hour we're planning on serving finger foods, little grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken nuggets and dipping sauces, mini-quiche or savoury tartlets, donut holes for the people who need sugar (like me), that kinda thing.

Just our cake (hummingbird) and some vanilla ice cream for dessert. We wanted pistachio ice cream, but no one here makes it (because pistachios are incredibly expensive) so we'd have to get my mom to bring some down from the city and that just seems like a recipe for disaster... We'll probably order a plain vanilla sponge from the venue as well in case anyone has nut allergies and can't eat our cake.

imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • We have settled on Mediterranean. It'll be Greek appetizer stations during cocktail hour, and an Italian buffet for dinner. We haven't settled on our cake, but I really want a Viennese Hour with yummy desserts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i am from the Caribbean and i want to have season vegetable rice served with stewed mutton, chicken and or baked bread fish with steamed vegetables and green salad and candied potatoes and fried plantains.
  • BlueBirdMBBlueBirdMB member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    This post was really fun to read and made me hungry.

Cocktail hour: We had 6 passed apps- my favorites were the figs with honey and pistachios and the seared tuna on a wonton with wasabi cream
    Mashed potato bar
    Sushi bar

Dinner: Boston bib salad with apples, blue cheese, and pistachios
    New England clam chowder
    Leg of lamb with mint ailoli served with basmati rice and Indian okra 
    Miso glazed sea bass with sweet pea risotto and baby bok choy and carrots 
    Squash ravioli, cavatappi with plum tomatoes and portobello mushrooms, or angel hair with pesto

Dessert:
    Cake 
    Cherries jubilee with chocolate or vanilla ice cream

Late night snack: mini lobster rolls 

Everything was served station style
  • We are doing brunch starting at 11.

From 11 to 12, we are doing pictures and the guests can get started at the venue with fresh fruit, pastries, and mini sausage and biscuit sliders.

Then when we arrive at 12, we'll start with the full stations:
    Carving station: Baked ham with honey mustard and horsey sauce, roasted turkey with turkey gray and cranmayo sauce
    Omelet station
    Belgium waffles with strawberry sauce, maple syrup, and whipped cream
    Smashed potato bar: red potatoes and sweet potatoes with sour cream, cheddar, bacon, raisins, and brown sugar
    Salad bar

For beverages, we are having a cappuccino bar, soda bar, and punch.
  • What are you serving? Indoor or outdoor? Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter?

Oh and seated or buffet?

------------------

Dessert Reception at around 3pm, Indoor, Fall, Buffet

Cake
    Pies 
    Brownies
    Cookies
    Fruit
    Ice Cream
    ~~~
    Lemonade
    Coffee
    Tea
    Water
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards