Wedding Invitations & Paper

are wax seals crazy?

i like the idea of doing wax seals on the invitations. specifically, using a patterned belly band and sealing it shut. have i gone of the bridal deep end? is that crazy or doable? 

Re: are wax seals crazy?

• I've never tried it...so I have no idea.

We secured our belly bands with glue dots.
  • itzMS said:
    I've never tried it...so I have no idea. We secured our belly bands with glue dots.
    i saw the glue dots and was going to do that, but then i saw the seals and that they were lovely. but they seem to require a hot glue gun and some amount of DIY talent...which i really don't have. i've been looking at cards and pockets.
  • It doesn't sound crazy to me...just like a DIY project.  Some people are into that, some aren't.
  • Jen4948 said:
    It doesn't sound crazy to me...just like a DIY project.  Some people are into that, some aren't.
    thanks. sometimes i read the wedding sites too much and lose track of reality. i have very few DIY projects and i want to keep them to a minimum. i think the seals could be a nice addition to the invitation, but of course, not necessary. 
  • You're welcome!

Please post photos-I'm always interested in this kind of thing.  I was previously into DIY myself, and might do some for my own wedding if I have the time and money.

• They aren't crazy but unnecessary in my book. We received an over the top invitation recently and the inner envelope had a wax seal and she said it was really easy. I guess they have stick like for glue guns so you just plop some on and then use your initial piece. But honestly, it is something people notice for one second, it got thrown away right away, and they probably just added more weight and bulkiness to their invitations which cost more than $1 to send. I've heard they cause problems at the post office also if they are on the outer envelopes (when they get run through the machines they can get jammed because of the wax protruding out). But if you want to do it, go for it!!

• Problem with wax seals is most of them get destroyed in the mail, creating an adverse affect.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes they're a little crazy, but I'm doing them too. LOL I think it's completely unnecessary, but a nice vintage touch. I would definitely recommend if you use them having your invitations hand cancelled at the post office so they don't have to go through the machines.
  • I think they look awesome, but they can have issues at the post office. If you really like them, do a demo and see how much more it costs to mail. And doing the demo one will also tell you if you like it/ if it's worth doing for you.

Anniversary
  • I'm doing them. It's a nice classic touch in my opinion. We're planning to use the same monogram elsewhere in the wedding, printed on cocktail napkins and in a gobo so we can shine it on the dance floor, so it'll all tie together.
  • Make sure they are done on the inner envelope or on the invitation itself and not on the outer envelope. Thats when they get ruined by the mail machines. 
  • I'm debating it on the inner envelope but I'm not sure the extra cost (wax and "gun", stamp, and most of all postage) is worth it so I'm leaning towards skipping it.
  • wax seals are sexy. (that is a sentence I never thought I'd write.)

but they are completely unnecessary and potentially a lot of hassle. 
    *********************************************************************************

• wax seals are sexy. (that is a sentence I never thought I'd write.)

but they are completely unnecessary and potentially a lot of hassle. 
    All true but they are sexy!

I'm waiting for our seal to arrive so I can play with it.  
  • Sounds nice. You should do it. 
  • I ordered my wax supplies from here:

The wax that they sell for the glue guns is flexible when it dries so it can bend some in the mail and it won't break.
  • cruffinocruffino member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    thanks everyone. if i do it, it'll be to seal the belly band around the invitation and inserts, so will be held in the inner envelope. i don't imagine it would get ruined in the mail, but will definitely add weight, and therefore cost. 

if i do it, i'll def post a pic of how it comes out.
  • Every time I see this thread title is say to myself...
    are wax seals crazy? Yes...Crazy AWESOME!!
    But also crazy expensive. But I would be stoked to get mail sealed with a wax seal. My brother did once and I asked if I could open it bc I thought it was so sweet (I'm a dork, I know)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• @cruffino--I used wax seals BUT got the kind that were self adhesive! So I pretty much skipped all the DIY-ing and the mess and had them shipped to me ready to go. I was able to choose color of the wax, the type of font (we used a single letter monogram) and whether or not I wanted them "uniform" or more "irregularly edged". They were somewhere between $0.25 and $0.35 each and since we only needed 15--it was pretty cheap! (I think shipping cost more than the actual seals)

As for postage, it added $0.20 to each envelope not because of the weight but because they needed to be hand canceled.

We have gotten quite a few compliments from our guests about the seals and how much they liked them and I totally have to credit FH b/c this was all his idea. That being said, since we had a small guest list it was worth the extra touch since it didn't cost that much more but if we'd had to order 200 it would have been a totally different story.
  • mmm4763 said:
    @cruffino--I used wax seals BUT got the kind that were self adhesive! So I pretty much skipped all the DIY-ing and the mess and had them shipped to me ready to go. I was able to choose color of the wax, the type of font (we used a single letter monogram) and whether or not I wanted them "uniform" or more "irregularly edged". They were somewhere between $0.25 and $0.35 each and since we only needed 15--it was pretty cheap! (I think shipping cost more than the actual seals)

As for postage, it added $0.20 to each envelope not because of the weight but because they needed to be hand canceled.

We have gotten quite a few compliments from our guests about the seals and how much they liked them and I totally have to credit FH b/c this was all his idea. That being said, since we had a small guest list it was worth the extra touch since it didn't cost that much more but if we'd had to order 200 it would have been a totally different story.
    @MMM4763 - ooh, please share the brand!
  • I used waxseals.com (Once on the site, specifically went to "Self Adhesive Wax Seals" and then selected "Monogram wax seals" and then used the single initial...though it looks like they will do custom design options as well)

Let me know if you have any other questions!
  • mmm4763 said:
    I used waxseals.com (Once on the site, specifically went to "Self Adhesive Wax Seals" and then selected "Monogram wax seals" and then used the single initial...though it looks like they will do custom design options as well)

Let me know if you have any other questions!
    thanks so much! i found the site and made my order! they were significantly less expensive than other similar products. 
  • I did it with my BFF for her wedding & we loved it!! I did th fire & she did the imprint of the symbol. They turned out well & it was low cost. We got the colored wax & the imprint symbol at micheals. I vote to do it!! LOL :)
  • Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you @cruffino
  • I love them. I would eather get the ones that have adhesive or make a bunch on wax paper/ parchment. Then when dry pop them off and glue to whatever you like. Then no wax under any creases or burnt marks on your pritty invitation/ stationary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards