Registry and Gift Forum

No Idea Who Gave this Gift- what to do?

Hello everyone!

I searched the boards and couldn't find this question (even though I'm sure it's been asked before). We have a gift that was given (a scrap book) but there was no name on the gift. It was wrapped and left with the other gifts. Close family doesn't know who gave it. 

What do you do? We are doing thank you cards and have no idea who to thank!

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: No Idea Who Gave this Gift- what to do?

• I think you really have no option other than to wait to see if someone mentions it.  Did you search the covers of the scrapbook to see if someone left you a message?  
  • Can you narrow it down by process of elimination?  Anyone that attended that you don't have a gift from?
  • Is it a completed scrapbook, or scrapbooking materials?  If it's an actual scrapbook someone made for you, can't you narrow it down by what's in it?  If not, just wait to see if anyone asks you about it.  
  • this happened to us and we knew eventually someone would ask.  Problem with ours was it got attached to someone else's card so we did not know about the mix up so we thanked the wrong person, lol.  We had a suspicion it got mixed up but did not know for sure, so we went with it.  Both parties had given us $$ too so they got a thank you either way.  But basically when the couple only got thanked for the check they  sent a text asking if we got the rest of the gift-- so we said yes and told them about the mix up-- no harm, no foul.  We then called the other person who we thanked for it and told them what happened, and all was resolved.  It made much for sense after the fact!

Sometimes you can figure it out by process of elimination and other times it just will get resolved on its own.  Mention it to friends/family so in case they know who sent it they may be able to help solve the puzzle. "we received such a beautiful scrapbook and we don't know who gets it!"  Depending what circle they were in, someone may just ask if it was received when they do not get a thank you and it will resolve itself.

While most do not I still sent thank you's to people who did not get a gift.  Primarily because I had it happen to me in the past where we gave a card/check and the bride & groom did not get it.  I kept noticing the check was not cashed but waited to say something.  A month later I got a thank you that did not mention the check so I called my friend to ask--problem resolved. I gave her a new card and "gift" next time I saw her.     

Anniversary
  • This happened to us with muffin tins.  It's probably not the classiest option, but after subtle asking around got us nowhere, I baked some muffins and posted something about not knowing who to thank with a photo on FB.  
  • It's also not helpful when people write a card and it says Love, Mike. Really! There are like 50 Mike's invited to my wedding, last names are helpful.  (Though in my case, most are married, so hopefully their wife's name will also be on the card.)

• We had a gift at our bridal shower that didn't have a card attached.  We questioned everyone there and didn't come up with the answer.  A few days later, I had posted pictures on FB of our bridal shower and the one of me holding the gift from a mystery giver, was captioned as such....we found out that night who it was...a cousin from out of town that couldn't make it sent it...we noted and are preparing to send our thank yous this weekend. :o)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
    image 40 are party poopers
    image 0 awaiting reply
    Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.
  • We received a very generous gift, but could not understand the signature on the card! It was just basically a line, without any other note attached to it. No idea who it came from. I tried to contact Bed Bath and Beyond (the registry it came off) and they told us they were not allowed to give out the name of the person who purchased it. So I guess I am in the same boat of waiting to see if someone mentions it. I feel so bad about the situation.. but what do you do! Note to self - ALWAYS make signature legible on a card from this moment on.
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards