Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Incorrectly addressed checks

We received a check for our engagement in the mail a few days ago that incorrectly addressed us as Mr. and Mrs. Smith even though we are not yet married. The check was from FI's grandmother, so it was easily fixed, but I am not changing my name when I get married, so I am concerned this will happen again. Did any of you have this issue and how did you deal with it?

Re: Incorrectly addressed checks

• Options
    The bank will help you figure it out. We had to sign ours over to the bank...and deposit in a joint account versus just cashing them.

Bring your marriage certificate. It's NBD.

• Options
    What itzMS said.

Take your marriage license and you will most likely have to deposit it into a bank account that has your husbands name on it rather then having it cashed.

• Options
    I kept my name. We do not have a joint account.
    Let's call me Photo Kitty and him Guy Dog. 
    We received checks written to:

Ms. Photo Kitty - I deposited normally in my personal account

Mr Guy Dog - he deposited normally in his personal account

Mr. Guy and Mrs. Photo Dog - He endorsed the check. I endorsed the check. I took them to the teller with my marriage certificate and they cashed them. I deposited the cash in my account.

Mr Guy Dog & Ms. Photo Kitty - He endorsed the check. I endorsed the check. I took them to the teller with my marriage certificate and they deposited the checks in my account.

He will have to sign them and there could be different rules depending on if you have a joint account or not. But it's not a big deal. Don't use the ATM unless it is only written to one of you and with your correct name as it is on file at the bank :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

Thanks ladies!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards