Wedding Invitations & Paper

How to word Response Card for the "bar" count.

At my wedding we are serving a buffet, having an open bar and will also offer a kids meal option. So what is the best way to setup the response card so that I can get the count of:

# of guests for both the buffet and the bar

# of guests for just the buffet (those under 21)

# of guests for kids meal.

Thanks for your help!

Re: How to word Response Card for the "bar" count.

• What about if someone wanted juice or pop or something from the bar?
  • You should know who is under 21, if you don't get their age from them or their parents. Asking for ages on the response card might offend people. Sorry.
    The under 21 rate typically includes juice and pop and other non drinks. So you shoukd be fine.
    I only asked for who was coming and took upon myself to know the ages and select the appropriate meal and drink package. My venue gave me the ages fir kids meals. I had 3 counts : over 21, 20-14, and under 14 or child meal. Putting it on the response card might confuse others. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• kjne8o said:

At my wedding we are serving a buffet, having an open bar and will also offer a kids meal option. So what is the best way to setup the response card so that I can get the count of:

# of guests for both the buffet and the bar

# of guests for just the buffet (those under 21)

# of guests for kids meal.

Thanks for your help!

Do you know the age of your guests? If so, you have the answers to these questions. If not, you should just find out (not through your RSVP - it's pretty impersonal). 

If the age isn't the issue, are you trying to get a head count for who is going to drink alcohol? If so I don't really think this is reasonable. I would never be able to tell you whether or not I plan to drink at a wedding 6 weeks in the future. I always make the decision the day of. If I feel like a drink, I'll get one. If not, I'll just get an iced tea or something. 

A better way to do the bar if you don't think everyone will drink is to do a consumption bar. A consumption bar is where you pay per drink - not per head. If you have light drinkers or not many drinkers in your family, this will almost certainly be cheaper than an open bar. Check with your venue on this option.
    *********************************************************************************

• In regards to the kid's meal, just call the parents of small children after they RSVP.

"Hi Katie! So glad you and your family will be attending the wedding! I just wanted to check on what little Johnny and little Susie would like to eat. The venue offers a plated kids meal option of chicken tenders, applesauce, and fries. Or, our buffet options are Roast Beef, ham, mashed potatoes, and green beans"
  • I would have your parents and his parents go through the list of Yes's (as they come in or a few days before the numbers are due) and tell you ages. You should know most of them, but there may be cousins in those grey ages of 20-21 or 12-13 that you aren't sure of. Your parents may know, and if they don't, they can probably find out by calling an aunt.

Rest assured, if you are off by 1 or 2, the venue won't know.

• You should know who is under 21, if you don't get their age from them or their parents. Asking for ages on the response card might offend people. Sorry. The under 21 rate typically includes juice and pop and other non drinks. So you shoukd be fine. I only asked for who was coming and took upon myself to know the ages and select the appropriate meal and drink package. My venue gave me the ages fir kids meals. I had 3 counts : over 21, 20-14, and under 14 or child meal. Putting it on the response card might confuse others. GL!
    13 is pretty old for a kid's meal cutoff.  I know a few 12 year olds that wouldn't be happy getting a kid's meal!  
  • JoanE2012 said:
    You should know who is under 21, if you don't get their age from them or their parents. Asking for ages on the response card might offend people. Sorry. The under 21 rate typically includes juice and pop and other non drinks. So you shoukd be fine. I only asked for who was coming and took upon myself to know the ages and select the appropriate meal and drink package. My venue gave me the ages fir kids meals. I had 3 counts : over 21, 20-14, and under 14 or child meal. Putting it on the response card might confuse others. GL!
    13 is pretty old for a kid's meal cutoff.  I know a few 12 year olds that wouldn't be happy getting a kid's meal!  
    The OP is having a buffet.  If she gets charged less for children under 14 but they still eat off the buffet, then I think it's not a problem.  If it's a different meal, like chicken fingers and fries then the "kids" should have a choice. At my sisters wedding some kids in the 10-12 range had the adult meal and some had the children's meal. But they should have the choice.

• edited October 2013
    laurynm84 said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    You should know who is under 21, if you don't get their age from them or their parents. Asking for ages on the response card might offend people. Sorry. The under 21 rate typically includes juice and pop and other non drinks. So you shoukd be fine. I only asked for who was coming and took upon myself to know the ages and select the appropriate meal and drink package. My venue gave me the ages fir kids meals. I had 3 counts : over 21, 20-14, and under 14 or child meal. Putting it on the response card might confuse others. GL!
    The OP is having a buffet.  If she gets charged less for children under 14 but they still eat off the buffet, then I think it's not a problem.  If it's a different meal, like chicken fingers and fries then the "kids" should have a choice. At my sisters wedding some kids in the 10-12 range had the adult meal and some had the children's meal. But they should have the choice.
    Kids got chicken fingers & fries, but were allowed to eat off the buffet too. If it was a plated meal i would have given them the choice. It was more about ensuring they had items they would eat, not a cost issue :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• laurynm84 said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    I wasn't responding to the OP.  And that is exactly my point.  Kids around 12 shouldn't be forced to get a kids meal just because they fit into an age bracket.  I was eating off an adult menu at that age and would've been embarrassed to be brought out a kids meal.  I know kids that age that have better tastes in food than some adults.  

We asked all "middle-aged" kid's parents what their kids wanted.  All chose the adult meal.  I was happy to pay for it because it meant the kids were happy.  

@Photokitty - Your follow up post on what you did was nice.  I'm glad the kids had a choice.
  • doeydo said:
    What about if someone wanted juice or pop or something from the bar?
    I see this question a lot when this comes up.  Are there really venues where a soda drinker is considered the same as an alcoholic beverage drinker?  Because that is nuts.

Soft drinks should be included in the buffet price.  That is how I've seen it everywhere I've looked at.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards