Wedding Party

Do I give the Bride a gift?

I'm the BM for my cousin's wedding this weekend.  Normally I give the couple a cash gift, but that's usually when I'm just a guest.  I haven't been a BM in a very, very long time.  Help me remember what the etiquette is.  FYI - I'm the only one going to the destination wedding.  My DH and kids are staying home all weekend.

Re: Do I give the Bride a gift?

• stgn01 said:
    I'm the BM for my cousin's wedding this weekend.  Normally I give the couple a cash gift, but that's usually when I'm just a guest.  I haven't been a BM in a very, very long time.  Help me remember what the etiquette is.  FYI - I'm the only one going to the destination wedding.  My DH and kids are staying home all weekend.
    Wedding party members are guests with an honorary title. Although it's bad etiquette for a host to expect gifts, a wedding guest should bring a gift. As a honored guest, you should definitely bring a gift. 
    *********************************************************************************

• You should give the couple a gift, yes.

Whatever you can afford is fine. There is no minimum or maximum.
  • It is considered proper to give a gift.  It doesn't have to be huge and extravagent, but it should be something.
  • Yes it is proper to give a gift, but if financially you can't swing it what with the DW travel expenses and the BM expenses then it is not wrong nor rude to not give a gift.  If all you can do is a heartfelt card then that is perfectly acceptable.

• I would get a nice card and/or make something if you can't swing a cash gift. I love home made gifts. Giving and getting. I used to do home made gifts for bridal showers when I was just out of college. It really is the thought that counts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards