Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wearing Black

I have a wedding in two weeks and another in mid-December. I've had my eye on a black dress that I want to wear to both weddings (none of the guests overlap so I'm good there). In one wedding, H and I are guests and in the other H is a GM.

Anyway, would you side-eye a black dress at a wedding?
*********************************************************************************

Wearing Black 216 votes

Yup - there are tons of other color options, why did you have to choose black?
6% 14 votes
Nope - I wouldn't think twice about it.
93% 202 votes

Re: Wearing Black

• I usually accent with a colorful cardi or shoes, as that's my style. But it's really NBD! :-)
  • Nope. The dress I'm wearing in December (which is strap less.. I think I'm crazy!) is black and then zebra print around my boobs with a yellow sash. Go for it :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • itzMS said:
    I usually accent with a colorful cardi or shoes, as that's my style. But it's really NBD! :-)
    ^^This. This is exactly my style, too!

My mother has her eye on a black dress for my wedding, and a few people are telling me that it's a big no-no for the MOB to wear black. But like above, it's her style, and the dress is really cute. As long as I don't see anything wrong with it...lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 90% of my wedding guests (last month) wore black or navy and everyone looked awesome and classy and sophisticated.
  • Black is completely acceptable.  I'd probably accessorize with color, but that's just my taste, I don't think it actually matters.

I've worn black to every wedding I've gone to for years.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope. The dress I'm wearing in December (which is strap less.. I think I'm crazy!) is black and then zebra print around my boobs with a yellow sash. Go for it :)
    MEOW.

Also I second the idea of adding a pop of color.
    HAHA! I got it for my cousin's october wedding last year... My FI really likes it and begged me to wear it.. who can complain about re-wearing a dress ;) Def going to look into a yellow cardi or wear my black short sleeve cover up
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • There are very few times in life when a LBD is not appropriate, and a wedding is not one of them.
  • Black is no longer a "no no" for weddings. 

Heck, next month, when I get married I have a black lace jacket to put over my wedding dress for the reception (I feel weird about wearing it for the ceremony). 
  • Just pair it with some jewelry that says PARTY!!! and not funeral :( and I think you'll look wonderful.
  • I'll admit I hate black at weddings, especially on the mothers of the bride and groom. But really on the guests too. Everyone thinks her little black dress is all Audrey-chic, but a lot of the time they just look like you phoned it in style wise.
  • I almost always wear black at weddings.
  • I almost always wear black at weddings as well, because let's be honest.  . black is slimming!

I glam it up with accessories and shoes.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Post the dress!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• KatWAG said:
    Post the dress!
    Ditto!!

I have mostly black dresses in my closet.  I find it more fun to change it up with cardigans, jewelery, and of course new shoes :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • No side-eye here, heck the last two weddings I went to the bridesmaids were in black.  Just rock some fun jewelry or colorful purse/shoes and it'll look great!
  • Yep, just make it "shine" somehow - fun colors, sparkles, etc, and you'll be fine.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have worn black to weddings. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited October 2013
    KatWAG said:
    Post the dress!
    It's this dress, but in black:

ETA: It's on sale at Ann Taylor for $150!! from $550) I planned to wear a bolero/scarf/something to cover my shoulders so maybe that's where I can add color. Any links to cute accessories/jackets/other stuff greatly appreciated! :) I'm open to any color

I also really appreciate everyone's honesty. It gives me a good idea of what others will be thinking.

ETF: Got the black dress picture to work!! 
    *********************************************************************************

• Wow that is beautiful!
  • I've worn black at weddings a number of times. The dress you've picked is beautiful.
  • I would go on Bauble Bar and get some fun long necklaces.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love black dresses everywhere but weddings.  Absolutely hate black at weddings.  But that's just my opinion - I'm in the minority around here!
  • Zero problem in my world - I'd accent with a brightly colored bolero or scarf and statement jewelry.
  • When did black stop being a no no at weddings?
  • When did black stop being a no no at weddings?
    Black is elegant and classy, and pretty much looks universally good on everyone unless you are uber, uber pale.  I have never bought into the mentality that if you are wearing black you are disapproving of the marriage. . . that sounds pretty out dated to me.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I would side-eye all black. It really does rub me the wrong way. I'd rather see someone wear white or cream!
    I would be totally cool with a black skirt or a black dress accompanied a bright or sparkly wrap, colorful belt & accessories, and killer shoes. Or a black dress with a colored jacket or sweater.
  • I don't get caring about the color of other people's clothing, especially enough to side-eye, and I'd never realized anyone did until I came to TK.

Not a big deal, and your dress is pretty. You'll look lovely!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Pretty dress.

To me, black is classic. Black cocktail dresses with a chunky necklace is one of my wedding go-to's. 
  • kitty8403 said:
    I would side-eye all black. It really does rub me the wrong way. I'd rather see someone wear white or cream! I would be totally cool with a black skirt or a black dress accompanied a bright or sparkly wrap, colorful belt & accessories, and killer shoes. Or a black dress with a colored jacket or sweater.
    I would NEVER wear all white to a wedding....the bride can have that color for the day.  Black on the other hand, perfectly acceptable.

OP - I think the black dress is fine!  Accessorize it or add in a bit of color with a wrap and you're good to go!
  • I love the dress! I just wore an LBD to a good friend's wedding in September (weekend after Labor Day). I accessorized with killer heels (also black, but who doesn't love good black pumps?), pretty jewellery, and kind of sexy hair. 

I think the line of demarcation is whether the black dress is something you would wear to a funeral. If it IS -- then don't. If it's NOT -- then do it!

Also, I would side-eye the ever-loving crap out of someone who wore white/cream/ivory/ecru/eggshell or any other shade of white to a wedding. Hell no. That's the bride's colour, and you don't wear it.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards