Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Logistics of ceremony and reception in same place

So FI and I were supposed to get married in his church, but it looks like that isn't going to happen now. We've thrown around the idea of just having a short ceremony where the reception is. We definitely have the space for it there, but I have a few questions:

1. What do you do after the ceremony is over? Normally you would have a receiving line or send off while the guests exited, but our guests won't be going anywhere.
2. Are guests going to feel like they need to sit there and watch us take pictures instead of enjoying cocktail hour since we'll be in the same room? Our venue only has one room so there isn't anywhere else for us to go. Outside will only be an option if the weather cooperates, which in Ohio in May is pretty unlikely.
3. Would you leave the "alter" set up throughout the reception or have someone move it after pictures?
4. Is it ok to have an aisle down the middle of the tables and not move them closer to each other after the ceremony?

Re: Logistics of ceremony and reception in same place

• Options
    H and I got married and had our reception all in one venue.

1) After the ceremony H and I and the parents and wedding party waited off to the side for the guests to leave the ceremony area and move on to cocktail hour.  Then we took pictures for about 45 minutes.

2) I think I need some more info on this.  Does your venue have a lobby?  Is your cocktail hour, ceremony and reception all taking place in one room?  Typically you need time for the staff to change over the ceremony space to the reception space meaning that your guests need to go somewhere so they are out of the way.

3) I would remove the "alter" once the ceremony and any pictures are done.

4) So what I am getting from this is that the tables will already be set up instead of having rows of chairs for the ceremony correct?  If you set it up with an aisle down the middle are you not planning on having any dancing?  If you are where would the dance floor be?

• Options

these are all questions to ask the venue.

altar.

• Options
    The tables would already be set up like they would be for dinner. We weren't originally planning on having our ceremony here so no there isn't any other room, not even a lobby. It's a little lodge and there is an outdoor patio that we could have cocktail hour on if the weather cooperates. I don't know if this makes a difference, but we will only have about 30 guests and most of them will need to be in a few pictures. I was thinking we would probably get married on the dance floor since the tables would already be set up so the aisle would go between the tables and end at the dance floor.
  • Options

these are all questions to ask the venue.

altar.

They don't really do ceremonies there so they don't have a whole lot of ideas. This is our emergency plan because of a mix up with FI's church. 
  • Options
    So FI and I were supposed to get married in his church, but it looks like that isn't going to happen now. We've thrown around the idea of just having a short ceremony where the reception is. We definitely have the space for it there, but I have a few questions:

1. What do you do after the ceremony is over? Normally you would have a receiving line or send off while the guests exited, but our guests won't be going anywhere.
    2. Are guests going to feel like they need to sit there and watch us take pictures instead of enjoying cocktail hour since we'll be in the same room? Our venue only has one room so there isn't anywhere else for us to go. Outside will only be an option if the weather cooperates, which in Ohio in May is pretty unlikely.
    3. Would you leave the "alter" set up throughout the reception or have someone move it after pictures?
    4. Is it ok to have an aisle down the middle of the tables and not move them closer to each other after the ceremony?
    Tammy, I can't remember when in Ohio you are located. But you'll prolly be able to do some outside in May in Ohio. My brother was able to do some outside in January even. Us Ohio girls can tough it out for a bit for pics.

1. I would do table visits instead of a receiving line.
    2. People will want food and drinks and will not feel obligated to watch you you. I think you're over thinking this one :)
    3. I'd have them break it down after photos during cocktail hour.
    4. I think this is fine. In fact, it is a good thing if you have any elderly guests or ones in wheelchairs. We always make sure we have wide aisles for my uncle in a wheelchair.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2013
    I'm in Akron. We were definitely planning on doing table visits no matter what because the wedding will be so small anyways. I just meant what do we do. We walk back down the aisle and then what? We go back up front to take pictures? 

ETA: I'm more worried about rain than the cold :) You know everyone in Ohio is in shorts if the temperature is over 50 in the spring. LOL
  • Options
    Gotcha! Yes just walk down the aisle and then when your ready loop back down the side to the front. Your DOC or minister can "dismiss" everyone to cocktail hour.
    Hopefully it won't rain! Fingers crossed :) You could do a first look. I don't regret doing it one bit - so glad I did. It would really help you with getting the photos out of the way and more options of locations and what not.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Could you rent a tent to cover the outdoor patio and then have cocktail hour out there so the ceremony/reception area is open and free for pics?

• Options
    tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2013
    No we aren't allowed to put anything outside or attach anything to stuff. It's a lodge, but it sits in the middle of a private championship golf course so they are very funny about doing anything like that.

ETA: I think I might just have to find somewhere else to have the ceremony. I was trying to avoid that :) I'll have to find somewhere and get it booked in the next couple months so I have time to get my invites printed, put together, and sent out. Ugh!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards