Florida-West Coast

Sanibel/ casa ybel brides

I'm planning on having my wedding on sanibel in July with the ceremony probably around 7pm on the beach with the reception inside. I keep hearing a lot of people say that that time of year if very hot and humid. We've checked out weather info and humidity info, although not ideal it just doesn't seem too bad in the evening on the water. We were hoping to have cocktail hour in an outdoor space as well. Any thoughts? I would LOVE to hear from brides who did something similar that time of the year.
TIA

Re: Sanibel/ casa ybel brides

• You will probably get mixed feedback on this. I have always lived in FL and LOVE summer. I have no problem being outside in the middle of the summer -- especially where there's a wedding/party going on. And, knowing that the night ends up inside a resort is great.

I've been to Casa Ybel a few times - it's so pretty! I went to a wedding there in November and it was STILL hot ;) So ... I mean, it's just warm! July will be warmer, of course, but I don't think it will be so bad. Lots of weddings happen there in the summer and people survive. I would just make sure your hair and makeup is on point so the sun and the wind don't mess it up! ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited August 2013

I'm actually a wedding photographer and live in SW Florida.  I've shot many weddings at Casa Ybel and other venues on Sanibel and Naples, Bonita,  Ft Myers Etc.   Honestly,  I always comment to my wife/2nd photog that I want to kill brides for planning summer outdoor beach or CC weddings in the summer months down here.  The weather is brutally hot and the humidity is inescapable!  Doesn't matter whether it's in the evening or not all your guests are going to want to do is get inside!

And I shoot 50 weddings a year down here!   Don't make your guest suffer!

Oh ETA,  Also if you must do this, pls don't make the guys wear formal Tuxes.  They will be drenched by the end of the ceremony.  Also,  Forget your hair staying in place,  the humidity and sandy wind will ruin it minutes after you get outside!

Sorry to sound so negative here,  but I've shot hundreds of weddings here in the summer months and every single one has been too HOT!!!!  There's a reason why half the Florida population go north in the summer months!
  • I live in Fort Myers and yes, you will be roasting.  You should choose a very light dress and be prepared for rain showers in the afternoon and evenings.  And the bugs....no one at Casa Ybel tells you about the dang "no-see'ums".  They are dreadful.  I did not find Casa to be accomodating or helpful in any way.  I think beach weddings are overrated. I do not want sand in my shoes or humidity in my hair or bugs biting my skin.  If you must get married on the beach, have the reception inside.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards