Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower 11/16 for 3/8 Wedding

Maybe I am just crazy. My FMIL wants to throw me a shower on 11/16 for my 3/8 wedding. This seems way too early to me. I always thought bridal showers were closer to a month away from the wedding. She wants to throw the shower before the holidays though. Does this seem way too early for anyone else?

Re: Bridal Shower 11/16 for 3/8 Wedding

• I went to my FI's cousin's fiancee's shower a couple weekends ago, and their wedding is the last weekend of January. Most of the one's I've attended have been about 3 months before. At least, in my area that seems to be the norm. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It may not be ideal, but it's not the worst idea.  We held a shower for my DIL in April and their wedding date was July.  Her folks live in Maryland and she and my son live in Chicago.  DIL's parents were attending her doctorate defense in April, so we thought it made the most sense to hold the shower while her mother was in town.  None of the guests had an issue with the date.

You will have to take caution not to use any of the gifts prior to the wedding.  On the upside, it gives you plenty of time to write thank you notes prior to the wedding.

Can I ask, if the holidays are the rationale.......is there a reason FMIL can't wait until after the holidays?
  • typically they are done 6-8 weeks before the wedding, but there is no rule they cannot be sooner.  Just make sure every person invited to the shower is for sure on your guest list.  Otherwise, typically I tend to see earlier showers when the wedding timeline falls in the holiday season;  with a march wedding, I think it would make more sense to do your shower after the holidays (first/second week in january?)  But as the host she does get to pick the date that works best for her so maybe Jan/Feb is hectic for her and she wanted to avoid the time between thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Anniversary
  • erinlin25 said:
    typically they are done 6-8 weeks before the wedding, but there is no rule they cannot be sooner.  Just make sure every person invited to the shower is for sure on your guest list.  Otherwise, typically I tend to see earlier showers when the wedding timeline falls in the holiday season;  with a march wedding, I think it would make more sense to do your shower after the holidays (first/second week in january?)  But as the host she does get to pick the date that works best for her so maybe Jan/Feb is hectic for her and she wanted to avoid the time between thanksgiving and Christmas. 
    I know January and February tend to be very busy at work for her. They aren't too much better for me either. I'm guessing that and the holidays were her rationale. I didn't want to pry into why too much. I guess 
  • My shower is Nov 16th and I'm getting married on January 25 (three months from today!!!!).  Mine is a little early to avoid the holidays, but I think November is WAY to early for a March wedding.

Plus, if invites haven't gone out yet it may be too soon to plan a shower, that is only a few weeks away.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Enjoy the shower whenever it is, enjoy all of the moments, enjoy being a bride.  Don't get hung up on "rules" and "must do's".  
  • The showers I've attended have been 2-4 months before the wedding, but all of those weddings were in the summer or fall. 

My shower will be 11/10 and I'll be getting married 3/29.  While it is early, my hosts wanted to have it before the holidays and before any possibility of bad winter weather. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My shower is 11/8 and my wedding is 3/16. It is scheduled that way because my MOH and most of those invited have that weekend off work.
  • My showers (yes two) are one month before and 2 months before. I actually never saw more than 3 months before until this past summer. My friend had an august one for december wedding.  Even that doesn't seem that big of a deal. Honestly, November for March isn't that bad when you think about it. December is basically cut out due to holidays. If jan and feb are bad for your FMIL then I can see why she picked November.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards